PDA

View Full Version : 2 Cherry HF's

Bill Bolen
03-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Continuing with my current addiction to this small form, a pair in cherry with Walnut trim rings and stem's. both are in the 10x4 range. One in high gloss Poly which didn't take much of a pic. The reflections make the upper shoulder seem double exposed. The smaller is from a piece of branch wood with a lot of sap wood exposed and finished with home-brew DO and buffed . I know these forms are all over the place with the shape and size of the body and stems even the style of the finial, as I'm trying for a form I really like. I have found that my personal taste leads me to the more contemporary shaped foot and stem rather than the bell shaped foot and thin stem. But hey, to each his own!

Roger Chandler
03-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Again, both are nice........I am partial to the first one...........the walnut and cherry don't contrast as well as the maple, but you have once again done a fine job............I think the pedestal is more proportional on the first as well. Geez Bill, you are a turning machine the last couple of weeks!

Richard Madden
03-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I like where you're going with these forms, Bill. Keep it up.

John Keeton
03-10-2012, 6:55 AM
Bill, you really haven't asked for critique on these pieces, so I am not sure if you want that. Notwithstanding, I will venture out a little.

I like the first one better in this set, as well - for the same reasons as stated on the other set. I kind of like the bases you are using, but I think the pieces would flow better if there was a more consistent curvature in the base that flowed into the form. The tight radius just below the form stops the eye somewhat. Both of these pieces have excellent flow in the top and are very well done. Excellent tool work, and good detailing. And, it looks like you are back in production mode!

I see folks combine cherry and walnut frequently, mostly, I think, because they seem to always be available. But, I often wonder if they consider what walnut and cherry both look like after 4-5 years exposure to light. The walnut will turn a much lighter amber color, and the cherry will deepen to a rich red. Some may like that combination, but it isn't one I care for. I recall the thousands of dulcimers made by Homer Ledford, a local craftsman now deceased. Homer gained national recognition for his musical instruments, having several in the Smithsonian. He was fastidious in choosing his wood combos, and avoided cherry and walnut together. In my opinion, the colors of aged walnut and cherry are neither opposite/complementary or analogous.

I realize many may differ with me on this, but it is just something for you to consider.

Bill Bolen
03-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks all. And John, I know I didn't ask for a critique but they are always appreciated. Hearing the thoughts of fellow turners is a fast way to self improvement most of the time. I remembered your earlier comments on the compatability/coloring changes with walnut and Cherry so I was aware of that one. To tell the truth I had broken my BS blade and had no Maple cut thin so...Walnut was just lying there on the bench!:rolleyes:

James Combs
03-10-2012, 4:07 PM
Cherry, one of my favorites. Form and color combo hard to beat. Keep em coming, I love to see good work posted.

Don Alexander
03-10-2012, 4:51 PM
nice pieces for sure

have to say that i like the second piece better except for the base it mostly has to do with the horizontal grain orientation but i also like the second finial a bit better be interesting to see what the color combo looks like after aging a few years

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2012, 7:40 PM
Bill - nice work on both pieces. I know each turner would do things in their own style... so with that in mind I took the liberty of pointing out a few things on your fist turning. Hope you don't mind.

David DeCristoforo
03-10-2012, 8:30 PM
Again, I can only agree with some others here. I really like where you are going with these. The first one (IMMHO) is a much more balanced and well proportioned form. I would second Steve's suggestions, especially on refining the transition into the finial.

Ken Glass
03-10-2012, 8:57 PM
Bill,
Both forms have there own merit. I too, like the first better as it seems to flow better to the eye. I agree with Steve about the Finial and Pedestal, but both forms are nicely done and the improvements would be very small. Well done.

Bill Bolen
03-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks, and I appreciate the tips Steve. The finial tip most especially as it had never entered my mind!

Kathy Marshall
03-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Both are nice pieces Bill, but I also prefer the 1st one I think mostly because of the proportions. I also like Steve's suggestions.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Really nice pieces Bill. I also prefer the first one and agree with the others on the form.

David DeCristoforo
03-11-2012, 11:12 AM
John Keeton has been exploring this type of design (where the form and pedestal flow together) for some time now. You might look at some of his recent posts for an idea of how to scale the two elements.