PDA

View Full Version : Apple Bowl

Thomas Heck
03-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I finished this one this evening. The end grain was hard to deal with but turned out ok.

Rich Aldrich
03-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Nice bowl. I like the apple wood.

Roger Chandler
03-09-2012, 10:41 PM
That is a nice one, Thomas............I like apple.......if you can keep it from cracking it makes a beautiful turning. I like the way you finished off the bottom of this bowl...........nice work!

Bill Bolen
03-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Now that is a lot better than just OK! She is mighty pretty.

Thomas Heck
03-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have just been rubbing some finish on the bottom after I've unchucked them and finished the rest with shellawax. I guess I could do the bottoms before I check them up to cut out the inside. How do you all finish the bottoms when leaving a recess.

Roger Chandler
03-09-2012, 10:50 PM
T How do you all finish the bottoms when leaving a recess.

I generally just cut in some circles to give a little visual interest and give that kind of "finished off" look.

Baxter Smith
03-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Nice bowl! Apple is always fun because it turns well and it seems no two pieces ever look the same.

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2012, 7:52 PM
Sure is some pretty wood! Nice work!

John Keeton
03-11-2012, 6:52 AM
Nice work, Thomas! It appears that in your recess, you have left the center portion at the same height as the outer rim of the base. If that is the case, I am concerned that you will eventually have an unstable bowl as any warp will leave you with the bowl sitting on the small raised area - not the rim - and, it will rock. I rarely use a recess, but when I do, I lower the center portion below the surface of the rim for that reason. Then taper the dovetail recess to eliminate the dovetail, and dress it up with some beads and/or grooves.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Really nice bowl and wood. I agree with John and when I do use recesses I turn the middle of them away.

Ken Glass
03-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Thomas,
End grain Apple Wood? I am impressed. End grain fruit woods always give me fits with checking, cracking, and splitting. That is a very nice looking bowl and Apple is always pleasing. You must have taken a lot of care with it between roughing and finishing. Well done.

Thomas Heck
03-11-2012, 4:03 PM
I pretty new at all of this. All the advice I can get is appreciated. I will start turning the middle away or at least lower. It was pretty dry I thought. I brought it in the house and left it that night and a small crack formed in it from the rim and went about an inch down. I have put wood glue in it to try and save it. It might end up tossing it. Thanks again for all the replies.

Roland Martin
03-11-2012, 4:23 PM
It's tough to beat apple and you did a nice job on this, DON'T toss it :eek:. You can always fill any cracks with epoxy or CA, not sure about regular wood glue, as it doesn't have any gap filling properties.