PDA

View Full Version : Pair of elevated HF's

Bill Bolen
03-09-2012, 9:07 PM
I've been playing around with this form for a few weeks. Turned 7 or 8 in that time and these are the first to finally cure so I could buff them out. They have been a bunch of fun and a great way to use up some of the smaller chunks of wood lying around the shop. All Walnut piece is 11x4.5 and the Walnut and maple piece is 9.5x4.5. Both are finished with Formby's tung oil and 3-wheel buffed.

Harvey Ghesser
03-09-2012, 9:41 PM
Those are beauties, Bill. Nice work!

John Keeton
03-09-2012, 9:45 PM
Bill, both are well done, but I prefer the walnut/maple one. It seems to have a little better curves and proportions. That walnut has some nice color to it.

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-09-2012, 9:51 PM
Bill I like the foot & finial better on the walnut & maple piece better than the all walnut piece.

Roger Chandler
03-09-2012, 10:44 PM
I think your skills shine in both turnings Bill, but I am with the others that the first one with the maple accents just does it for me. Your finial on the second one seems a bit odd, but each of us has our tastes.........the grain orientation on the second one is unusual but makes it stand out nicely.

Looks like you are on a roll while recovering!

Baxter Smith
03-09-2012, 11:06 PM
The maple makes a nice accent with the walnut and the curves seem to flow a little better Bill. You have been making up for lost time!

Curt Fuller
03-10-2012, 7:58 PM
Bill, those are both just beautiful. I love the one piece transition on the second pic from base to the form. That just seems to flow really nice. And I like the contrasting accent ring and finial on the first pic. Both are just plain pretty though.

David DeCristoforo
03-10-2012, 8:14 PM
The whole idea of forming the pedestal and the main out of the same piece is intriguing. I prefer the one on the left with the maple accents only because i think the overall form is sweeter.