PDA

View Full Version : SB Tools grinder platforms

Brian McInturff
03-09-2012, 9:00 PM
Anyone know when Stuart plans on releasing the platforms? Any.idea if they will have a wide enough opening for the CBN wheels? I couldn't find anywhere on his website to be able to contact him.
The OmniGrinder has the gizmo appeal but I'm guessing the price has got to be way up there when it hits the market also. Anyone have any inside knowledge or talk with him at the show and get some info?

Jeff Nicol
03-10-2012, 8:20 PM
Brian, If you click on the "BLOG" you can see the new building/manufacturing facility and a lot of other info. Also on the bottom of the home page click on the little envelope and you can get an e-mail to him there or with the other social networking sites.

http:// woodturning.org/blog/

It will not be something everyone can afford, it will not be cheap by anyones imagination, but I would take one in a heartbeat. They are beautiful and work amazingly and the gaps for the belts grinding wheel look pretty wide.

Just an observation,

Jeff

Harvey Ghesser
03-10-2012, 9:12 PM
Jeff, I hope you get to buy one of Stuart's machines.

Jeff Nicol
03-10-2012, 9:20 PM
Harvey, I looked them over for quite a while at the symposium and I was very impressed with the fit and finish of them, almost a work of art to say the least and very versatile. It would look great in any ones shop and if I win a big lottery I will share the fun with as many as I can!

Happy turning,

Jeff

Harvey Ghesser
03-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Jeff,
The price of that unit complete is around $3,000, and if you called to buy one, you couldn't get it. All you can get so far is perhaps the promise that you can buy an angle jig, which by the way is not even available.

I cannot imagine you spending that kind of money to buy a grinding unit. What do you currently use? A Wolverine? About $250? And it does the job well, I assume.

As for your final comment, how about these odds: The National Safety Council says between 70 and 120 people a year die in the US by lightning...so let's take 100 as our base. WITH THE us populationbeing approximately 265 million people, that means that the chances of being killed by lightning are roughly 2,650,000 to 1. Not very likely. However, you are still 6 to 45 times more likely to die from a lightning strike than you would be to win the lottery.

I will bet money that if you won the lotto, you would buy other things BEFORE you ever buy the grinder.

Reed Gray
03-11-2012, 1:26 PM
Grinding units like that are generally called knife grinders. If you search them out, they start around $3000, and go up from there, and most that I looked at are not nearly as well designed as the one that Stuart has. Will it go into production? I don't know. I told Stuart I wanted one last year at the Symposium. He said they would be out by August. I still don't have one. I really checked it out, and was very impressed on the design features, and quality of the product. I still want one. Need has nothing to do with it.

If you are one of those who have champagne tastes, and a beer budget, you probably can only drool.

robo hippy

Steve Vaughan
03-11-2012, 1:29 PM
Might just be me...but are we sort of, kind of, almost going off-topic here from the original question? Dang.