PDA

View Full Version : Small lathe tool rests for inside and out.

Bob Oswin
04-26-2003, 11:46 PM
These are the last 2 of my series of tools rests I wanted for my wood lathe.
The small 4 inch T for the tight spots on the outsides of jobs and the flat 4 inch plate to take the chatter out of working on the insides of containers.
Got the metal out of the scrap bin at Metal supermarket so the cost was way down to $3.84 for both.

Plus a few tools - sHHHH!

Bob

Stan Smith
04-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Those are real nice tool rests. Maybe you ought to be patenting them. I'll bet there is an untapped market out there for them. Everything else is specialized, so why not tool rests? I would buy a flat one, like right now. I have a Jet mini lathe so chatter is a concern. So how about some cliche's: "Necessity is the mother of invention" and the sign on the side of a cement truck "Find a need and fill it"

Stan

Bob Oswin
04-27-2003, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stan Smith
Those are real nice tool rests. Maybe you ought to be patenting them. I'll bet there is an untapped market out there for them. Everything else is specialized, so why not tool rests? I would buy a flat one, like right now. I have a Jet mini lathe so chatter is a concern. So how about some cliche's: "Necessity is the mother of invention" and the sign on the side of a cement truck "Find a need and fill it"

Stan [/QUOTE
Thanks Stan but I can take no credit for the design. It's been around forever.
I actually saw a commercial set in the LV catalogue so I decided to make my own since I already own the welding tools etc.
It would be probably less expensive for the guys without the tools to purchase them thru LV.
I have been puttering making my own lathe tools for a few months now and starting to get the hang of it.

Bob -Full time Putterer and Woodturner wannabe.

Stan Smith
04-27-2003, 6:14 PM
Hmmmmm. I guess that I'll have to look at the LV catalog more closely. I don't have a welder so you are right that it would be cheaper for me to buy via LV.

AS an aside, I was just reading one of those Wood mag seminars on small turning projects. They have a plan for a lathe tool made from an allen wrench. Looks like it is used to hollow out small vessels. Ever made anything like that?

Stan

Bob Oswin
04-27-2003, 6:59 PM
Originally posted by Stan Smith
Hmmmmm. I guess that I'll have to look at the LV catalog more closely. I don't have a welder so you are right that it would be cheaper for me to buy via LV.

AS an aside, I was just reading one of those Wood mag seminars on small turning projects. They have a plan for a lathe tool made from an allen wrench. Looks like it is used to hollow out small vessels. Ever made anything like that?

Stan
Hi Stan:
As a matter of fact I have a couple of tools made this way. I used concrete nails to make a tiny scraper and just recently used a cut off from a planer blade for a small parting tool.

Here's a close up of the join before polishing.

Regards
Bob

Stan Smith
04-28-2003, 10:54 AM
Great idea making your own tools if you have the talent and it will save you some bucks, too.

I was looking at some Chris Stott tools in the CraftSupplies catalog yesterday. I'm interested in getting a hollowing tool to use for small vessels and boxes--probably not bigger than 4-5" in diameter. I have a Berger tool which is great for working on the sides of boxes that are straight. However, I would like to make some boxes, vases, etc. that have curved sides and that would involve some hollowing. I guess I'm looking for some small hollowing tools.

Stan

Bob Oswin
04-28-2003, 2:38 PM
Originally posted by Stan Smith
Great idea making your own tools if you have the talent and it will save you some bucks, too.

I was looking at some Chris Stott tools in the CraftSupplies catalog yesterday. I'm interested in getting a hollowing tool to use for small vessels and boxes--probably not bigger than 4-5" in diameter. I have a Berger tool which is great for working on the sides of boxes that are straight. However, I would like to make some boxes, vases, etc. that have curved sides and that would involve some hollowing. I guess I'm looking for some small hollowing tools.

Stan
I checked out this site and don't see any I could not make.

You should think about getting some lessons on a small torch system.
It really frees you up for your designs. A kit is less than a set of dadoes.

Bob
http://www.toolpost.co.uk/system/index.html

Stan Smith
04-28-2003, 3:51 PM
I appreciate the suggestion, Dr. Bob, but I'm sort of a clutz and I think that fire would be a danger to me and surroundings. I don't do electrical either since I melted a shank on a screwdriver working on the pool equipment. So far I still have all my fingers though. PTL

Stan