PDA

View Full Version : Need Rocking Horse Help??

Matthew Curtis
03-09-2012, 8:50 PM
I am making a rocking horse for a friend that is expecting there first child. My problem is that the rocking portion of the horse is not a smooth curve. It has what seems like flat spots that makes it rock a little bumppy. It is not bad, but I notice the bumps. I have sanded the curve with a oscilating spindle sander using the largest spindle i have, trying not to ise much pressure at all on the spindle. I have also hand sanded the curve as well, with little improvement.

Any recomendations on how to improve the rocking curve?

Andrew Hughes
03-09-2012, 9:58 PM
HI Matthew,I would make a template from half inch thick or less mdf.Easy to shape with file then some sand paper glued to a flexable strip of wood.Fare the curve to your liking.Then use the mdf template to shape the curve with a router and flush trim bit.Some times i use two sided turners tape to stick to the finish piece.One more thing to remember is make the template longer than your finish piece.Hope this is clear enough to help.Andrew

Rob Vicelli
03-10-2012, 1:45 PM
I Agree with Andrew except I used 1/4 ply i had laying around the shop. it has to be something easy to work with to get the curve you want, then trace on to work piece, cut with band or jig saw slightly outside the line, then Clamp/tape to work piece and router with Top bearing bit.

Lee Schierer
03-10-2012, 6:04 PM
It takes a soft touch to get it smooth. I clamped both runners on the rocking horse I made together and used a belt sander. You can take a thin piece of wood and curve it along the runner with a light on the side away from you shining toward you to show you the high spots. Use a curved sanding block about 4-6" long cut on your band saw to match your curve. Smooth it on your spindle sander and use double sided tape to stick sand paper on the inside. Use this block to do your final sanding, it should take off the high spots and not touch the low spots as you slide it back and forth.

This assumes your curve is a portion of a circle not and elliptical shape.