PDA

View Full Version : Just a small project: The only plumb bob I ever made.

george wilson
03-09-2012, 6:32 PM
This was a gift for a collector of plumb bobs I met at an EAIA meeting in Williamsburg. It is about 5" tall and about 1 3/4" wide. It is not a copy of any other plumb bob. Most aren't very interesting,but some people collect different things from what most do.

The little bobbin that holds the string has a serrated edge done with a straight line knurl. There is a vertical shaft that is partially threaded,with another disc on it. The disc can be screwed down against the serrated edge of the bobbin to lock it in place once enough string has been reeled out.

I think some plumb bobs had a bobbin to store the string,but I just made mine this way because it adds to the design.

The tip of the plumb bob is tool steel,that is screwed into the brass body. Sometimes they had steel tips so the bob wouldn't be so easily damaged if dropped on it.

You can barely make out my name around the top edge of the body. I use my nice old 1/8" letter stamps with serifs and correct Roman letters. Keep looking for those at flea markets,and on ebay,eveeryone. They add a very nice touch to your projects.

I think it took an evening or 2 at the most to make. Been a long time ago.

I made a miniature hangman's looking little scaffold to hang it from for display. It was about 12" tall. Toot Toot!!

David Weaver
03-09-2012, 7:44 PM
I've seen more plum bob collectors around home than functional tool collectors. The folks who collect them don't use them, I don't know why they collect them. I couldn't figure out their appeal, but that's a nice one...

Toot Toot!!

...even if you're tooting your own horn twice!!

george wilson
03-09-2012, 8:33 PM
I hope this provided a small entertainment for you and others,David. I'm trying to remember HOW I held onto this thing while I was turning it in the lathe. There is also some milling work in the square part. A slot for the bobbin. I have no recollection how I mounted this thing in the lathe to do the taper. It's bad when you can't recall how you did something.

I may have drilled,threaded and countersunk the hole in the tip where the steel point threads in,and used the threaded hole to drive the bob in the lathe. I know I used the compound to do the angle. You just have to have some substantial means to hold onto metal while removing a bunch of it. The top end could have been left more massive to put against a tailstock center,and turned to its delicate proportions after the metal was removed from the taper.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2012, 9:09 PM
Nice bob George.

It's bad when you can't recall how you did something.

Happens to me all the time. Just have to figure out how to do it all over again.

jtk

Don Orr
03-09-2012, 9:15 PM
That's just plumb lovely!

Leigh Betsch
03-09-2012, 9:35 PM
I think toot toot is too weak. I think it deserves a double HOOOONK HOOONNCCKKKKK!!

ray hampton
03-09-2012, 9:57 PM
nice plumb bob , honk honk is too weak, a steam whistle that announce quitting time is better

george wilson
03-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Toot Toot is a private joke with David.:)

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-10-2012, 8:43 PM
I don't know what to add to the conversation, George, but I really like this. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on with the bit at the top.

It walks that line between functional and "pretty" at just the right spot. Too many plumb bobs are either downright ugly or overly ornate for the tool.

Don Reneau
03-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Beautiful work Geroge, I just love your one offs.
Don Reneau

daniel lane
03-11-2012, 11:20 AM
As always, beautifully done, George. Like others, I always enjoying seeing your work, it inspires me.

Regarding the letter stamps, I like the idea. I don't do much metal work, but it might work well on my woodwork. I've never been a fan of the branding irons I see advertised in Rockler/etc., but the letter stamps might just do it for me. I'll have to keep my eye out for some. Thanks!

daniel

Niels Cosman
03-11-2012, 12:24 PM
very very nice!

Joe Fabbri
03-12-2012, 12:40 PM
That's probably the nicest plumb bob I've seen. Nice work, George.

Joe

Tony Zaffuto
03-12-2012, 1:40 PM
I've seen more plum bob collectors around home than functional tool collectors. The folks who collect them don't use them, I don't know why they collect them. I couldn't figure out their appeal, but that's a nice one...

...even if you're tooting your own horn twice!!

Mr. Weaver,

I accumulate tools, but I COLLECT plumb bobs!!!!! I have approximately 200 unique plumb bobs hanging in my shop. A few years back, my wife decided to decorate one of our Christmas trees (4 in our house-main living room, entry living room, first landing on main stairs and youngest daughter's bedroom) with plumb bobs (she didn't ask me first). Anyhow, she started decorating on one side of the tree and quit when the weight toppled the tree!

T.Z.

ray hampton
03-12-2012, 7:15 PM
Mr. Weaver,

I accumulate tools, but I COLLECT plumb bobs!!!!! I have approximately 200 unique plumb bobs hanging in my shop. A few years back, my wife decided to decorate one of our Christmas trees (4 in our house-main living room, entry living room, first landing on main stairs and youngest daughter's bedroom) with plumb bobs (she didn't ask me first). Anyhow, she started decorating on one side of the tree and quit when the weight toppled the tree!

T.Z.

I am surphise that your wife plumb bob a christmas tree

george wilson
03-14-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm surprised that any of the Christmas tree branches held even 1 plumb bob!

Federico Mena Quintero
03-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Tsk, tsk. And I was feeling very proud of the brass plumb bob I got to find the center for this:

Yours is a beautiful instrument, George. Thanks for sharing.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-15-2012, 1:40 PM
That's beautiful, Frederico! Your ceiling? How did you use a plumb bob to find the center of that? My brain isn't quite grasping that, but I figure about ten minutes after I type this It'll click for me.

george wilson
03-15-2012, 2:01 PM
Egad!! I HATE trying to work over head. For MANY years I have not liked doing it. Bad back,injured shoulder,fused neck,chronic pain every day I live,all cause me to work BELOW my head!!

Federico Mena Quintero
03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
That's beautiful, Frederico! Your ceiling? How did you use a plumb bob to find the center of that? My brain isn't quite grasping that, but I figure about ten minutes after I type this It'll click for me.

Thanks, Joshua! It's a little alcove on one side of my home-office; the roof is a little vault - http://people.gnome.org/~federico/docs/house/vaults.html

The alcove is rectangular. I drew a big X on the floor from corner to corner, and used the plumb bob to transfer the center of the X to the vault above - it's not quite the apex, as the vault isn't perfectly shaped, but it's close enough. Once I had a center in the vault, I made a big compasses to draw the pattern, which is based on Peter Follansbee's work - http://people.gnome.org/~federico/news-2011-05.html#12

George is right, painting overhead leads to MAJOR neck pain! Two more vaults to go - gotta build some scaffolding.

Uh oh, now I have hijacked the thread! :D