PDA

View Full Version : Source for a Delta banjo?

Scott M Perry
03-09-2012, 4:51 PM
Hi, all -

I'm looking to upgrade my tool rest to a 24" one a welder friend is going to fabricate for me. I need two banjos, though. I have an early 46-700 lathe, though, and can't for the life of me find a spare banjo for it anywhere. I can upgrade (way upgrade) for about $230, but honestly, I'd prefer to find another in-kind.

Anyone know of a source for these things?

Thanks,
Scott

Nathan Hawkes
03-09-2012, 6:28 PM
What is the diameter of the tool post? I have a spare banjo that I used on a rockwell-delta that has a 7/8" post if you're interested. PM me.

Edit--it is NOT the old style bolt-down, but a later cam-action, out of cast iron.

Scott M Perry
03-09-2012, 7:30 PM
Nathan, thanks for your offer. Just measured, and it's the 1" post, though it is the cam action base. Anyway, I appreciate it.

Scott

Jeff Nicol
03-10-2012, 8:35 PM
Scott, Do you plan on moving the tool rest very often? I made one for a fellow a while ago that was made out of 1/2" steel plate with a slot cut in it for adjustment and then welded a heavy walled pipe up for the toolrest holder. I made another bottom clamp plate with just a bolt to tighten or a camover clamp could be used instead. The tool rest I made was 32" long and so far it had worked well.

Just a thought,

Jeff

Scott M Perry
03-12-2012, 7:20 PM
Jeff, neat idea. But, I got an offer from a member for a Delta banjo to fit my lathe. Arrived today - fits perfectly! So, anyone have an opinion of the 24" tool rest offered at Lee Valley? ;)