PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Furniture & Furnishings Show

Brad Knabel
03-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi All,
The PFF is coming up (April 15-17). I was thinking of taking a three day weekend and driving to Philadelphia to see the show. Last years catalog listed some bigger furniture makers like Berkeley Mills, Thomas Moser and Green Design as well as a host of smaller custom makers. I'm just hoping to look at some of the higher end furniture up close and personal.

I was thinking that with careful planning I could maybe make the show as well as the Woodturning Center and even the George Nakashima workshop in New Hope (they have an open house on Saturday afternoons).

So has anyone here gone to the show? Is it worth a 5 hour drive?

Alan Turner
03-24-2005, 4:41 AM
I attend regularly, and it is a very good show. There are some makers that say that they only market through this show, and no others. Both orders and contacts from this show keep them going.

Last year I thought there was a bit of sameness to the offerings. A lot of ambrosia maple, as I recall. Must have been in style.

There are more contemporary designs than traditional, and some are better than others, although that is always a matter of taste. It is a juried show. At the least it gives a person a sense of what others are charging for their work, which is not always easy information to come by. I have thought of seeing if I could jury in, but I don't have enough inventory to fill a booth, and making enough would take a year. Maybe next year, as they say. But, I will be there looking. Nice bunch of folks, as you would expect of woodworkers.

Perry Holbrook
03-24-2005, 7:37 AM
While I was in Philly last month doing the wholesale crafts show, one of my booth neighbors was telling me his experience with this show. His work can best be described as contempory/ traditional. By that I mean that the designs are pretty much a copy of traditional pieces, but he uses very contrasting woods and veneers to really set off the piece.

He has done the show a few times, but has decided not to do it anymore. He said the quoted attendance can be around 15,000 to 20,000 which sounds good. But he said that about 75% of the crowd is made up of woodworkers going there to get ideas and not to buy furniture. The ratio of qualified buyers to vendors is just not attractive from a business standpoint.

Sounds like it is a very good show to attend to get ideas or just inspirition, but maybe not so good for selling your work, especially if you're a little guy.
Perry

Jim Becker
03-24-2005, 8:58 AM
I really enjoy this show every year. In fact, Martin Shupe was "in town" concurrent with it last year and we went together. While the whole show isn't entirely furniture, it's a great experience for anyone who appreciates fine work. The Furniture Society is involved with this show and the makers are great. And yes, Thos Moser (the firm, not the man) was there last year...I'm hoping they repeat since their showroom in Philadelphia closed many years ago and I just love to fondle their stuff!! ;)

The Nakashima compound is an excellent visit. (Right around the corner from our place...) You might want to consider calling them ahead, however, as they are only open to the public 1-4 on Saturday afternoon "normally". You may be able to arrange for a more comprehensive tour, particularly for a donation to Mira's charity, but no guarantees for that. The small showroom and the Conoid museum are what is normally open to the public, but there are several other wonderful buildings on the property. Dr. SWMBO and I had the full tour a few years ago as part of a fund raiser for the Michner Art Museum in Doylestown. (Yes, that Michner...)

An yes, you should also schedule a visit to the Woodturning Center in Philadelphia on 5th street while in town. Albert really runs a wonderful facility and the work is outstanding.

Perhaps if there are a few SMCers planning on attending the show, we could have a little get-together for breakfast or the evening meal.

Earl Kelly
03-24-2005, 9:34 AM
Jim, the Providence Fine Furnishings Show is supported and sponsored by The Furniture Society, not the Philadelphia Furniture Show. Just the same the Philly show is first rate, a must see if you can. A furniture maker here in Pensacola has shown there every yr. since it started. He does really well, but he sells a small inexpensive table line off the floor.

Those that are in the northeast might like to take in the Providence Show the end of Oct. Used to be the first of Nov., they bumped it up a couple of weeks.

These two shows are the premeir Furniture shows in the US. Anyone interested in looking at or purchasing custom/studio furniture, should make these shows.

Jim Becker
03-24-2005, 9:42 AM
Earl, I wasn't necessarily speaking of sponsorship, but the FS has been "in evidence" at each year's show that I've attended in Philadelphia. And yes, the Providence show is always commented about as being top-notch. There is also one on the left-coast that is equivalent as far as I know.

Brad Knabel
03-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone - this sounds like a good show to see. I'll feel a little guilty being one of the woodworkers looking for ideas (just a little), but I'm sure I'll get over it.

Jim - thanks for the heads up on contacting the Nakashima folks ahead of time. I was thinking that weekend might be iffy for them anyway - they might have a contingent at the show or they may be swamped with other woodworkers that had the same idea.

I know I'm pretty new here (and still need to post a more formal introduction) but if there is a get together at the show I would definitely be interested.

BTW - I heard part of a show on NPR this past weekend where Mira Nakashima was a guest. She sounds like a fascinating woman and she had some great stories about her father. The topic of the show was "Handmade" and they had several interesting stories - handmade reeds for oboes and another about Elbert Hubbard and the arts and crafts movement

I found a link to some snippets from the show here:
http://www.wnyc.org/studio360/show.html

Thanks again for the replies.

Jim Becker
03-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Mira is a pretty neat lady...and is doing a fine job running the business as well as her other pursuits. I have not read her new book yet, but plan on it.