PDA

View Full Version : Laser Operating Environment

Joel Matteson
03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
I couldn't find much on this in the archives, so forgive me if it's a repeat question. We are still in the planning stages of setting up our first laser. We've narrowed down what we'd like to purchase and are working on our business plan, but now it's time to figure out exactly where it'll be set up. This will be a home/part time operation.We have one car garage that is set up as a full woodworking shop ... and I do mean full. Tablesaw, jointer, planer, lathe, drill press, band saw ... etc. I do have some dust collection, but not 100% on each tool, and I do have an air cleaner on the ceiling. That being said, it's still a wood working shop, and it's inevitably dusty! Our initial plan was to set the laser up in the wood shop and keep it covered when not in use. Then we realized that we may want to be doing some woodworking while the laser is running. We also feel we may be doing a decent amount of paper cutting for wedding invitations, which means we'd need a 'clean' place to put final products as they were cut. We are beginning to think that such an environment may not be the best idea for the laser set up.We've also discussed putting up a 10 x 15 shed that is insulated with ample power running to it and keeping this as our 'laser office' with the machine, computer, cutting supplies and a final work area set up. We just aren't sure what the best environment is for the machine. I've read the manuals and realize temperature and humidity are considerations ... but should we be looking at more than that? Any thoughts would be welcome!Thanks,Joel M

Gary Hair
03-09-2012, 1:00 PM
We just aren't sure what the best environment is for the machine.

The exact opposite of the environment you have described...

Gary

Mark Sipes
03-09-2012, 1:04 PM
Your location would be a great help. If you are going to store your product...wedding invitations in the shed also. that should just about cover the humidity aspect of the question. Insulated.... to above 35* below 80*.. heater/air... will/does laser have a chiller...seems to be a big issue for freezing.. good ventilation may be as simple as opening a window or maybe an exhaust fan to the machine is better if it is raining.... a good surpressor for the electical..... lights, laser, computers, heater, fans......

JMT

Joe Hillmann
03-09-2012, 1:17 PM
What about putting it in your living room? One thing that is often overlooked is you should have your laser in a place that you enjoy being or at the very least a place you don't dislike. I think building a small shed is kind of a poor option it just doesn't seem like a place where you will want to spend much time, plus it will get expensive by the time you get electricity, and depending on your location, heat or ac or both, and computers and internet out there.

Michael Hunter
03-09-2012, 1:19 PM
Sheds are good. Lasers are good. Sheds with lasers inside are excellent!

You need a BIG shed to cope with all the materials and bits and pieces, tables to lay the work out on and so on.
Mine is 25' square and seems a bit cramped.

Joel Matteson
03-09-2012, 1:23 PM
We do have another option I did not mention. We have a one bedroom guest house attached to the one car garage/workshop. We use it for the occasional visitor and for an exercise room. I've considered figuring out a way to get the required exhaust and air set up and putting the laser in there. Already heated, cooled, has electric and all the other creature comforts that would be needed. Just want to try and keep it looking more like a guest house than a shop (IE ... avoid hoses and noisy compressors becoming the focal point).

Chuck Stone
03-09-2012, 1:24 PM
I can tell you that I have a laser in my wood shop (not a full time shop) and
in the last two years I have gone through two computers and three monitors
due to the dust. Now.. I don't even USE the sanders or lathe anymore.. they
generate too much dust. But just being in a dusty environment is bad enough.
I routinely blow everything out with air, and open up the computer case once
a month to get into the guts and de-dustify. Pulled off chips and re-applied
thermal goo etc. The dust still causes problems, although (knock wood) not
with the laser itself so far.

A wood shop and laser are not a happy marriage. I'm just now getting things
moved to another room to keep them separate so that I can go back to using
my saws, lathe, sandblasting cabinet, sanders etc. But..it doubled my rent, too.
Computer equipment likes a nice clean environment. Shop tools don't need it.

ps ... just saw your post that came up while I was posting mine.
This sounds like a good option, especially if you can pipe the
exhaust hose out to the shop where your dust collector would be.
A computer desk wouldn't look too out of place.. and you could
always put a nice tablecloth over the laser and put a lamp on it..

Mark Sipes
03-09-2012, 1:48 PM
Another option. You move into the guest house and convert the main house in to a laser workshop......just say'in

Mike Null
03-09-2012, 2:46 PM
I have kept my lasers in the basement in an area separated from my wood working shop. It is heated and air conditioned which I attribute to having virtually no problems with either laser I've owned for the 15 years I've been in business.

Steven Cox
03-10-2012, 8:00 AM
Sheds are good. Lasers are good. Sheds with lasers inside are excellent!

You need a BIG shed to cope with all the materials and bits and pieces, tables to lay the work out on and so on.
Mine is 25' square and seems a bit cramped.

Try working from the back of a vehicle under a Marquee, and storing everything including the laser in a space 2.1mt long x 1.8mt wide x 1.2mt high (7' x 6' x 4') but we like it and you can't beat the everchanging view whilst following the sun....
Hmmm where will we go next?

George M. Perzel
03-10-2012, 8:46 AM
Hi Joel;
All in all, I think the guest house sounds like the best option-get rid of the exercise area as you will burn plenty of calories going back and forth!
You can minimize the workshop look by keeping the air compressor and exhaust in the work shop and set up cabinets and/or shelving to hide supplies. Good Luck
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts