PDA

View Full Version : Display Stand

David McHenry
03-09-2012, 9:04 AM
I'm not sure where to post this but I read this forum soI thought someone in here might know. I sell military theme pens at the NavyExchange and I need to build/buy a display case/stand. My pens were placed inthe uniform shop and doing okay but upper management pulled them out and movedthem to the flower/gift shop. Since the move I have had no sales because thepens are out of sight. I spoke with the operations manager and he suggested adisplay stand with a small footprint. I'm thinking about a 4 sided tower 5 ft highand 6 inches wide on a slightly bigger base with wheels. The reasons for thisis the shop already has a wider display and the footprint is too big. I know ifit�s on wheels it will be placed at the entrance of the flower shop in plainview of every customer (before in the uniform shop only active duty and retiredservice could buy them or even see them.) Here's my question: any ideas on aquick cheap build? I was offered the chance to get into the Navy Exchangeretail system but its unbelievable how expense UPCs and EDI setup is. So thisis my best bet. I'm sure I can really move some pens with a display stand.Maybe even get back a fraction of what I spend on my "Hobbies". Ithought of cutting it out of 1/4 maple ply with my laser but my bed is 12x18. Iput my pens in a clear clam shell about 3 inches wide and 7 inches tall. Totaldifferent pens are about 30. I'll post a pic of a pen in its package so you cansee what it looks like. Any ideas will be a big help.

Thanks
Dave

Mark Sipes
03-09-2012, 2:36 PM
I'm still waiting for the pen in its package to get a handle on this project. Sounds like a normal military decision. to move an item that is selling to an area where it can't be found.

David McHenry
03-09-2012, 4:05 PM
You got that right.....ALL my clips are for ACTIVE duty and maybe retired if they want it.....My pens are now located between the little cards that come with flowers and uninflated ballons....Ill post a pic tonight.

David McHenry
03-13-2012, 2:10 PM
Took227042 awhile because I had to work on the "Honey Do" list first. The package is 6x3x1 inches.

Doug Novic
03-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Dave,

Your best and quickest solution is to shop floor displays. One place is http://www.displays2go.com/main.asp and there are many more. Look at their inexpensive displays and think how you could modify them to serve your purpose. You have the equipment for your signage and it is obvious you have the creativity.

I designed and faricated retail display fixtures for decades from one to 1,000 at a time and the only way to do a layout is to go to the site. You are already there and you know the floor layout and available space to you. You will be the best one to decide the style and size. Keep one thing in mind. What your products are displayed on or in is how you want to show off your product.

Good luck.

Martin Boekers
03-25-2012, 1:39 PM
I imagine this is on base. If they have an engraving shop on base (typically located in
an Arts & Crafts Center) many take consignment items. Pass a few pens out get the
known in the community. Try Legion Posts etc. Also consider purchasing a vending machine
that will display and dispense them. Work with the flower shop and see if they can come
up with a small arrangement that includes a pen. Give the workers at the shop a pen and
see if they can keep it in their pocket so others can see it.

David McHenry
03-27-2012, 1:41 PM
Thata a great idea! I know the women who works at the arts and kraft shop but I never thought about asking her to take pens on consignment! I'll also paas out pens to the flower shop workers and ask it I can tie one at the checkout counter. I'm on hold because my contract expired. I post how things go. Thanks again.

David McHenry
03-27-2012, 1:50 PM
Doug I can't find the right display and because of the cost I think I'm going to have to build one. I'm looking at 5 ft high and 8 inches wide. The width is small because the floor space. What do you think the base should be? I'm going to have to make a base to make it stable but I don't want it to big. I am going to make it out of a sheet of peg board and encapsulate it in a wooden frame. Sound easy but I know I'm going to have trouble with this.

Dave,

Your best and quickest solution is to shop floor displays. One place is http://www.displays2go.com/main.asp and there are many more. Look at their inexpensive displays and think how you could modify them to serve your purpose. You have the equipment for your signage and it is obvious you have the creativity.

I designed and faricated retail display fixtures for decades from one to 1,000 at a time and the only way to do a layout is to go to the site. You are already there and you know the floor layout and available space to you. You will be the best one to decide the style and size. Keep one thing in mind. What your products are displayed on or in is how you want to show off your product.

Good luck.

Doug Novic
03-27-2012, 6:15 PM
David,

The height and the width spell danger for tipping on the display which is for naught right now.

I have to agree with Martin on the "pass-outs". I walked into an auto show and volunteered to do two plaques for them. In three weeks I was doing over 35 plaques for them. They are a regular customer now. Never be afraid to give some of your work away (properly). It works.