PDA

View Full Version : Which ones should I keep?

Cliff Polubinsky
03-09-2012, 8:28 AM
During a moment of weakness (or great wisdom :rolleyes:) when last years bonus came in I bought a set of O1 LN chisels to test against my A2 set. After going back and forth a lot I've decided to use the A2 as my primary chopping chisels and put long handles and 20 degree bevels on a few of the O1 and use them for paring. The question is which ones?

I probably don't need all 5. Maybe the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4? I can't see the 1/8 doing much and a 3/8 probably won't add much for paring between the 1/4 & 1/2.

Any thoughts?

Maurice Ungaro
03-09-2012, 8:30 AM
Send the to me. I'll test them out for you and let you know which ones to keep. Of course, after I put them through vigorous testing......

John Coloccia
03-09-2012, 8:43 AM
1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" would be my choice....are my choice, actually, as that's what my 3 pairing chisels are.

jamie shard
03-09-2012, 9:21 AM
Honestly, keep them all. There will probably be times you'll want each size... and complete sets look so pretty. :)

Jim Koepke
03-09-2012, 1:51 PM
I would be reluctant to let any of them go.

Just because it isn't being used today doesn't mean you won't want to use them in the future.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
03-09-2012, 2:21 PM
I surprise myself with how often the 3/8" comes to hand... Keep them all!

Jim Neeley
03-09-2012, 3:25 PM
I too have both O1 & A2 sets and have 20* (+ micro) on the O1 and 30* (+ micro) on the A2s. It's working great for me. I use also use the O1's on easily crushed wood, such as pine, and the lower angle seems to really decrease the crushing of fibers..

Jim

lowell holmes
03-09-2012, 5:42 PM
Sounds like a stealth gloat to me. :)

Tony Shea
03-09-2012, 5:56 PM
If it were me I also would not let any of the go. But if you do feel the need, which is understandable as you do have odd sized chisels in A2 already for the times a weird size is needed, then your sizes listed would also be my choice. I personally have many different style of chisels in the same sizes (Japanese, LN's A2 & 01, and various antiques) but this is due to my inability to turn down a nice chisel.

Cliff Polubinsky
03-09-2012, 9:42 PM
5 out of 8 say keep them all. You guys are not helping with my addiction :D.

But someone once told me that if 3 people tell you you look sick go lay down.

I will take this all under advisement.

Cliff

Mike Holbrook
03-09-2012, 11:18 PM
It could have been worse. I would have told you to buy a few wide Butt Chisels and a couple Ray Iles mortise chisels, maybe a couple LN mortise chisels... to go along with your collection.

Dave Beauchesne
03-10-2012, 12:12 AM
FWIW, I do a fair amount of hand cut dovetails - I have a LN 3/16'' that is my go to when cleaning things up -

I have a full set of LN in A2 C/W rosewood handles - KEEP ' EM ALL!

Dave Beauchesne

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-10-2012, 9:38 AM
Yeah, when I have the option, a lot of times I like two chisels the same size - one with a sturdier bevel for removing most of the waste on something and then a finer ground one for the last couple of paring cuts.

I've got lots of chisels that barely get used, but when the time comes, and they end up being perfect, I'm glad they're there.

Bill White
03-11-2012, 5:40 PM
You're askin' us about what to keep? You've gotta be kidding! BWAHAHAHA!
Bill

Jim Matthews
03-11-2012, 6:32 PM
Here's an alternative - post them as trade bait for sizes you desire, but don't yet own.

I've been surprised at how often I'm reaching for chisels better suited to timberframing - when sharp, they lay down a level plane quickly.
Something in the range of 1 3/4" has been really handy.

Jim Neeley
03-11-2012, 7:50 PM
Cliff,

The 1/8" chisel is prime if you decide to get into cutting london-style dovetailed drawers, etc., for paring the narrow pin-gaps in soft wood between the wide tails.

So that leaves the 3/8" up for grabs.. is it worth trading out just *one* lonely chisel, breaking the set? Would you do that to your tool set? :eek::D

Cliff Polubinsky
03-11-2012, 8:21 PM
Ok, ok, you've all convinced me. They all stay. Thanks for the advice/persuasion/arm twisting. I'm going to need to build that tool chest soon. Running out of space and haven't started on the list of tools to get with this year's bonus. My aim is to have everything I need before I retire. As if...

Cliff

Mike Holbrook
03-12-2012, 3:12 AM
So, next you can get some heavy beaters....;-) I like the Barrs, hand forged, built to take your best shot!