PDA

View Full Version : Cutting segments by hand

Randall Houghton
03-09-2012, 1:36 AM
Hi I was just wondering if one making segmented turnings cuts their segments by hand. If so what are you cutting with and how accurate are your angles? Regards Randy

Michelle Rich
03-09-2012, 5:40 AM
hi Randy: I have made segmented vessels by hand for many years. i used a swedish mitrebox and it is superbly accurate. Today I am old & use a tablesaw, but there is no reason you must have a powertool to make segmentations.It may even be more accurate as one is forced to think & saw each part, not whip thru them with a mitresaw or tablesaw. I will put a picture here in my response to show that power is not necessary. This vessel is over 800 pieces(36 per row) and the design had to be perfect as it continues around the entire vessel. No error, or accumulative error could be tolerated in this design. Hope this helps you realize that hand powered tools can be extremely accurate

Bill Wyko
03-09-2012, 11:21 AM
I made my own miter box fromsome scrap plexiglass & MDF. I mitered the plexion the TS then attached it to the mdf while pinching the saw between the pieces. While it worked perfectly, I went to a Incra Miter1000se for speed and accuracy.