PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen one of these?

shane lyall
03-09-2012, 12:26 AM
It has no motor but works with a magnetic coil from what I can tell. I have no idea what I would do with it as my scroll saw hasn't been pluged up in a year but this is just cool. Is it worth anything? Trying to think of a reason to bid on it. If I can't I may just bid anyway because if the "coolness" factor. Heck, I wan't it!

scott vroom
03-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Are we missing a link or a pic?

shane lyall
03-09-2012, 2:31 AM
OOPS! Sorry! Guess thats what happens when we (I) get old!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Craftsman-Scroll-Saw-works-Great-/220968834232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3372c4d4b8

BTW, no connection just thought it was cool. I have found a little info but no price. I don't think it's all there but would make a nice display piece in my shop. I'm watching it and, if the price stays low, I will try to buy it. If someone here wants it for their collection, don't let my interest stop you from bidding. I really don't need it and wouldn't do anything other than display it if I did buy it. Just let me know and I"ll not bid so we don't bid against each other. I just found it interesting.

Myk Rian
03-09-2012, 7:31 AM
I found one of those in a trash pile, many years ago.
It works like a saw blade connected to a Klaxon horn, and sounds like said Klaxon horn.
Coil underneath is what powers it. They're called "Magnetic scroll saws".
I was the second person to throw it away.

John Coloccia
03-09-2012, 7:45 AM
"Not as quite as today's scroll saws". ROFL. That's like saying "This old Marchant calculator is not as powerful as today's computers". These saws are like the tool version of that vibrating football game with the the little magnetic guys. You turn it on, and *BBBRBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*...and they all go running off into the wall except for the 2 or 3 that just go around in circles.

Lee Schierer
03-09-2012, 7:48 AM
I found one of those in a trash pile, many years ago.
It works like a saw blade connected to a Klaxon horn, and sounds like said Klaxon horn.
Coil underneath is what powers it. They're called "Magnetic scroll saws".
I was the second person to throw it away.
My FIL had one and it came to me. I used it a few times. It was not bad for slow cuts on thin stock, but lacked power to do fast cuts or thick stock. It did have a tendency to make loud noises if you didn't get the tension set right on the blade or if you stalled the blade. I gave it away at some point because I had a band saw and it wasn't very good.

shane lyall
03-09-2012, 8:33 AM
LOL @John! BRRRRRRRRR! I remember those games! I thought mine was broken until my buddy got one for Christmas and his did the same thing! I remember trying to shim under the corners with my sisters coloring books to make em go in the right directions. Heck I just KNEW it was out of adjustment or needed something simple to make it work. That brought a laugh this morning. Thanks.

As for the saw, I had no intentions of useing it as I own a modern saw that sees very little use as it is. I only wanted it to put in a display cabinet in my shop. I have a few carving tools from a gentalman that did pieces for severalncelebs from the 20s-50s and worked under the carver that did Mount Rushmore. My tools were in the hands of the carver when he worked on pieces for Sinatra (sp). If I could find some like history for this I would put it on display with those. Sounds like I'm not going to find any because these didn't work well enough to make anything with them! LOL! BRRRRRRRR! Priceless!

Andrew Joiner
03-09-2012, 9:52 AM
This was my first power tool! I was 5 years old and my Dad got me one. He deemed it safe cause you could barely cut 1/4" thick stock.I could slowly vibrate thru 3/4" pine if I was lucky.

It would cut skin of course, but to cut off a finger you'd have to push hard for a long time and by then the blade would snap. I guess I had a first version of a Sawstop.

They sound like a hair clipper cause it's the same action. The louder it's set the more movement to the stroke.

I did everything I could to soup up that saw, but to little avail.
It was part of my learning curve and it created my lust for real powerful power tools.

David G Baker
03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I have one that looks just like the one in the photo but never looked the the motor so I don't know if it is powered in the same way. I have used it a few times and it still works fine.

Rick Potter
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
It's COOL. Buy it.

I have a small collection of old power tools. Never use them, but they sure look good. Got a WWII era B&D 1/4" drill at an antique store. It must weigh 10 pounds, and is all aluminum with a toggle switch....on or off.

Rick Potter

PS: We need a thread about cool old tools. Not the big stuff, which gets covered, the small power tools, and non-valuable hand tools that are funky.

Tom Walz
03-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Dear Mr. Coloccia,

Thanks for the laugh. That is exactly the way I remember the football game.

Tom

Randy Rose
03-12-2012, 1:00 PM
It's COOL. Buy it.

PS: We need a thread about cool old tools. Not the big stuff, which gets covered, the small power tools, and non-valuable hand tools that are funky.

Broke out my grandfathers "Mall Drill" yesterday, figure `40`s or `50`s All metal, light weight, not esp. powerful, but smooooth as butter.

frank shic
03-12-2012, 1:26 PM
rofl that was a great analogy that conjured up some wonderful childhood memories... until you realized that the whole game was basically random!

Charles Bjorgen
03-12-2012, 3:52 PM
I got one of those magnetic jig saws when I was a pre-teen, maybe 10 or 11 years old, for a Christmas gift from my Dad. I still have it and I'm now 76. My first power tool. I made several things with it based on patterns from Boys Life Magazine. I almost got rid of it but kept it for the sentimental value.

Jim Matthews
03-12-2012, 5:38 PM
They race scroll saws, don't they?

It could be a subset of Robot Wars. It's vintage the way the Trabant is vintage...226948

frank shic
03-12-2012, 6:18 PM
boy oh boy i bet that wouldn't go through an automatic car wash very well ;)