PDA

View Full Version : By request,a brass cap screw I made

george wilson
03-08-2012, 10:07 PM
This is one of the cap screws I have made. 1" in the largest diameter. This one has a "rope" knurl. I make the knurls,too. The knurl could be straight 90º,or angled like this one.

David Weaver
03-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Plain threads, I think I might have that one.

george wilson
03-08-2012, 10:54 PM
That is one of the ones I gifted you with.

Leigh Betsch
03-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Looks great George. I'm still working on perfecting mine. Do you rmeber the tap size you used to hob the knurl? What do you use to keep the knurl clean and not load up with brass? I have gone to turning the chuck by hand and scrubbing the knurl with a tooth brush, then after everything is looking pretty good I flip the lathe on and give it a few rev's under power. Seems to cut sharper knurls that way. The key seeems to keep the knurl clean some way or other. Do yu use lube?

Chris Vandiver
03-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Really nice George. I like the knurling and I especially like the bell shape above with the finial. Very excellent, as usual.

Mike Holbrook
03-09-2012, 12:43 AM
It is a thing of beauty George!

george wilson
03-09-2012, 1:27 AM
Leigh,I try to finish the knurl with as few revolutions as possible. Knurl brass dry. A fine tooth knurl is much better than a coarse one in brass,because the brass will start to come apart and crumble. I've read that 4 turns should be enough to finish a knurl. I haven't gotten down to 4 yet,but I was using a Hardinge HLVH,which is a rather light lathe. I didn't want to hurt the cross feed screw's nut with excessive pressure.

I can't get to sleep tonight!

David Weaver
03-09-2012, 8:03 AM
Hey, wait, was this from my request for you to post some new work?

You can't post things that you mailed to me, i've seen them! :)

If I ever get back to work on the plane that this one is for, I'll start posting some of the build on here (maybe).

george wilson
03-09-2012, 9:54 AM
No,David,someone else requested to see it,and I was tired and had trouble searching for it.

Go ahead,toot your horn.;)

David Weaver
03-09-2012, 10:06 AM
No,David,someone else requested to see it,and I was tired and had trouble searching for it.

Go ahead,toot your horn.;)

Here's my toot - i extracted three of these screws from george before he got one that he was happy with (there's certainly nothing that will keep me from using all three of them). I did pay for the last one, though with much objection from george (he didn't want my dirty money). I don't know which one is in the picture, but I know that it's not the first one. It's either the second or third.

Now I just need to purchase some good needle files.

Toot Toot!!

george wilson
03-09-2012, 10:29 PM
But,David,you sent me some nice applewood!:)