PDA

View Full Version : Shop made sanding blocks

fred klotz
03-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I just received my bargain box of sandpaper from Klingspor, and now I'm looking for ideas on shop made sanding blocks. I have a factory block, plastic, with a hard rubber platen and good spring grips that has served me well, but I just don't like the feel of the plastic. In the past I've had the hard rubber ones, with the profile like a VW bug, with flaps at each end with prongs underneath that secured the paper. They were my favorite for a long time but the flaps fatigued at the flex point. Through the years, I've seen occasional plans for blocks, but can't recall any right now. Something that allows easy and quick sandpaper attachment is a plus. The majority of the paper in the Klingspor selection has a heavy backing, although it works OK in my current block. I'd like to make some of different sizes, and also have several grits set up on different blocks. Who out there has the great idea? Thanks in advance.

pat warner
03-08-2012, 10:43 PM
First I make a block for my hand and sand it pancake flat on granite.
Then I glue (PSA) the paper of choice on to that and knife trim it.
You said fast, this is anything but, but it won't snag or fold, and it won't loosen.
Lasts longer x far but not fast to the ready. Nuthin's fast & good.

Terry Beadle
03-09-2012, 8:35 AM
While watching Mr. Ng show his method for sharpening a card scraper, he reached into a sand paper organizer and grabbed a block of wood that had a 1/4 sheet of sand paper mounted to it. As best I could see, it was simply a block with a narrow dado along each side. He mounts the sand paper and then has some wood slats thicknessed to fit the dado's. One on each side. He probably had to allow for the thickness of the sand paper being thicker in lower grit grades vs higher grit grades.

I haven't tried this yet as I don't use sand paper much after learning how to sharpen a card scraper. It may be some thing you want to try. Watch Mr. Ng's video on youtube for a better idea if my description is not clear enough.

Enjoy the process !

Gary Kman
03-09-2012, 9:05 AM
Not a block but similar and frequently handy. I glue various grit paper onto thin, 3/4" wide wood strips. Among other uses I can sand in a tight corner and keep shortening the stick to get fresh paper.

Jerome Hanby
03-09-2012, 9:13 AM
I saw that too and thought that was a great idea. I bought a roll of cork with adhesive backing for the bottom pad and one of these days I'm going to mass produce a bunch of these blocks and get them set up.

While watching Mr. Ng show his method for sharpening a card scraper, he reached into a sand paper organizer and grabbed a block of wood that had a 1/4 sheet of sand paper mounted to it. As best I could see, it was simply a block with a narrow dado along each side. He mounts the sand paper and then has some wood slats thicknessed to fit the dado's. One on each side. He probably had to allow for the thickness of the sand paper being thicker in lower grit grades vs higher grit grades.

I haven't tried this yet as I don't use sand paper much after learning how to sharpen a card scraper. It may be some thing you want to try. Watch Mr. Ng's video on youtube for a better idea if my description is not clear enough.

Enjoy the process !

Steve Griffin
03-09-2012, 10:23 AM
My absolute favorite is 3/4" MDF block with neoprene (wetsuit material) contact cemented on it. Manually wrap with 1/4" sheet of paper. Final cut to size (make several while you are at it, after glueing material on).

The foam blocks are too soft most of the time.

Also use a stapler to mount full sheets, with some wrap on two sides, to piece of ply or hardwood for cases where you sand little parts and want to move the part, not the block.

Ralph Okonieski
03-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Try some double stick tape on the sides of a wooden block. I have various size blocks that are used for the appropriate application. It is easy to replace the sandpaper or tape when needed. The tape will hold the sandpaper quite taut if use enough tape.

Don Jarvie
03-09-2012, 2:40 PM
Get some blocks or various sizes and the padded shelf liner. Cut the shelf liner to fit in the botton of the block and wrap the paper around the block and staple to the top. Tap down the staples and sand away. When the paper wears out rip it off and remove the staples and do it all over.

glenn bradley
03-09-2012, 5:13 PM
I prefer Preppin' Weapon but, they are getting priced out of what they are worth. I second William Ng's bookshelf-o-sanding blocks. Just after 2 minutes into the video you will see him walk over and grab a block: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz6EpQu2HRo

Kyle Iwamoto
03-09-2012, 8:27 PM
+1 for Preppin' Weapon. It's pricey but a good sander. I have 3 in different colors. I also saw Williams vid and was throughly impressed by that block. Anyone that figures it out please post!

fred klotz
03-09-2012, 8:53 PM
Thank you for that description. It sounds like something simple, and since I want to have different blocks set up with different grits anyway, the thickness differences in the paper can be dealt with.

fred klotz
03-09-2012, 8:57 PM
I am familiar with the Preppin' Weapon. I've gotten a few ideas here that I will work with. I'll now go check out that video. Thanks, guys.

glenn bradley
03-09-2012, 9:16 PM
I also saw Williams vid and was throughly impressed by that block. Anyone that figures it out please post!

They are blocks milled square with a kerf down one side. The paper wraps around it and overlaps at the kerf. A spline is pushed into the kerf trapping the paper and drawing it tight.

Gary Viggers
03-11-2012, 2:18 PM
Those sanding blocks are one of the projects in the Intro to Woodworking class at Cerritos College (I think William Ng used to teach there before opening his school). The sanding block project at Cerritos is for a full sheet: the blank is 3/4" x 3-1/4" x 11". Make a 1/4" groove down the center of an edge 5/8-3/4" deep. Glue cork to both faces (chamfer the edges of the cork a little). The wedge is cut to fit with a 3 degree bevel on both sides for a tight fit. Both surfaces of the block can be used to sand.

Change the dimensions of the blank to accommodate the size of the block/paper you want to use.

Dave Lehnert
03-11-2012, 9:21 PM
Not home made but use this block from Lee Valley. I like it a lot.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=20184&cat=1,42500

Shopfox makes a like item. I purchased on from Grizzly. The springs that hold the paper had some rust and the hole for the large nut was drilled too deep. Nothing a washer did not fix. A good value but not as nice as the Lee Valley.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D2823-Small-Sanding/dp/B0000DD31H/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

johnny means
03-11-2012, 9:31 PM
I just picked this one up. Saw a fellow making small block sanders for finish sanding between coats. The type of thing that gums up sandpaper really quickly. Well, anyway, he would put multiple layers of sandpaper on his wooden block using thumb tacks to hold them in place. As the paper clogged up, he tears off the top sheet to reveal a fresh piece