PDA

View Full Version : Stop Collars

Ralph Lindberg
03-08-2012, 9:46 PM
In the current thread on coring systems, buying a stop collar was recommended. Might I suggest that if you are a DIY type, making them yourself.

For example, if you have the usual tool-rest with a 1 inch post, get a-hold of some 1-inch EMT, that is thin-wall electrical conduit. Simply cut (I use a tubing cutter) some EMT into the lenght(s) you need.

What I did was take a chunk of EMT I had and cut pieces in lengths from 1 inch to 1-1/2 inch, in 1/16 in increments.

The one I use for the coring system, just lives on the gate-post

Russell Eaton
03-09-2012, 7:21 AM
very good idea, and quick as well

Wally Dickerman
03-09-2012, 5:49 PM
I use pvc 1 inch ID pipe. I put a piece in a chuck and using a parting tool, cut off collars. I have them for each of my tool rests and for special uses.

Nathan Hawkes
03-09-2012, 6:18 PM
Ditto what Wally said--I just use PVC pipe and masking tape. I make the length in the lowest possible position that I might need for that tool rest, or tool gate, and adjust up from there. Honestly I just use a ratcheting PVC cutter though--works okay for me. I don't like all the plastic curlies floating around.

Sid Matheny
03-09-2012, 7:00 PM
I use hose clamps and they work well.

Sid

Ken Whitney
03-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Aren't turners supposed to turn their accessories where possible?:)

I used an old maple rolling pin, trued it up on the lathe, bored out the center, and cut to fit. Sanded the ends for final adjustments.