PDA

View Full Version : Oneway vacuum adapter

Bill Hensley
03-08-2012, 6:48 PM
Does anybody with the Oneway vacuum adapter leave it on the lathe full time?

Seems like every other project I need to swap out the hand wheel for the adapter and would prefer to just leave it in place.

I suppose I should call them and get their feedback.

Pete Jordan
03-08-2012, 6:52 PM
I have left mine on for years.

Wally Dickerman
03-08-2012, 7:07 PM
And be without a handwheel? Never!

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2012, 8:10 PM
I have an adapter from JT Turning Tools (http://www.jtturningtools.com/vacuum-adapters) and I just unplug it when I am finished. About as clean as you can get!

James Combs
03-08-2012, 8:18 PM
Mine is a home made one but like Steve's I just unplug it when I need to use the vacuum pump for something else otherwise it just stays on the lathe.

Jon McElwain
03-08-2012, 8:42 PM
Mine stays on for a while after a project is done but inevitably, like Wally, I cannot do without my hand wheel.

Peter Fabricius
03-08-2012, 8:55 PM
I agree with Wally, you need a handwheel.
My friend has a Oneway 24?? and he leaves his adaptor on permanently. The Oneway adaptor has a large chrome piece as part of it and that is the handwheel/brake.
I am not sure what he does when using a MT drive in the headstock, how does he knock it out?
Peter F.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2012, 9:04 PM
I couldn't live without a handwheel. I have a setup like Steve from JT Turning tools.

Alan Trout
03-08-2012, 10:13 PM
The Oneway adapter is like having a hand wheel. It is bigger in diameter than a 1642 hand wheel so it works just fine. I have mine on right now working on bottoms a couple of hollow forms. However I do change it out to the standard hand wheel when I get done.

Alan

Ted Calver
03-08-2012, 11:24 PM
I agree with Wally, you need a handwheel.
My friend has a Oneway 24?? and he leaves his adaptor on permanently. The Oneway adaptor has a large chrome piece as part of it and that is the handwheel/brake.
I am not sure what he does when using a MT drive in the headstock, how does he knock it out?
Peter F.

I do the same. When I use a MT drive in the headstock I just take the adapter off to knock it out, then back on it goes.

Bill Hensley
03-09-2012, 7:43 AM
Thanks everybody. I'll just leave it in place for awhile and see how long it takes to miss the handwheel. Plus the aggravation of having to remove it every time I have to knock out a MT drive. I think part of my concern was the impact on the adapter bearing.

The JT Turning adapter looks to be the ideal setup.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-09-2012, 8:07 AM
Bill,
There is nothing to be gained by leaving it on all the time. It takes a few seconds to remove and install. Mine is also from JT but I remove it when not in use.
faust

Bill Wyko
03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
The only reason I didn't get it is because you have to remove the hand wheel. I do have the 5" vacuum chuck though. Works great.