PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on black mugs

Carl Schramm
03-08-2012, 4:58 PM
When laser engraving on black ceramic mugs (LazerMugs) from JDS Industries, we end up with a greenish tint on the underlying ceramic. This only happens with the black mugs. The other color mugs (red, blue, green, orange) engrave beautifully with no problems. We have tried various speed and power combinations on our 40 watt Epilog, but to no avail. I assume the problem must have to do with the chemical compositon of the black coating since the problem only occurs with the black mugs. Is this a known problem, or do I just have a bad batch of mugs?

Mike Null
03-08-2012, 5:13 PM
Carl

welcome to SMC. I have encountered glazing being different depths and not being able to get through it on one pass (not JDS mugs).

I suggest you call JDS an ask for tech support or the fab dept. They may be able to give you some help.

Lee Biddle
03-08-2012, 5:17 PM
We engrave on the Blue, Red, and Black mugs here. I use the same setting for all three. Have you tried wiping the engraved mug down with an alcoholed rag to get rid of the green tint?

Dick Jordan
03-09-2012, 9:43 AM
I too have experienced the "greenish tint" you have mentioned.
I take a rag with a splash of acetone and it wipes perfectly clean without any issue or damage to the black area.

Tom Sieczkarek
03-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I had the same problem last week and was on with JDS tech support. (I had about 1/2 my order that were either green /gray or a pink tone.)They told me to slow down the speed and power settings, and they have not had any issues like this before. I have done other Colored mugs with no problems.
Bought more mugs and had about seven out of 36 that left a red tint this time. I was going to call them again until I seen this post.
I took Dick Jordan advice and used denatured achohol instead, cleans it right up. Sometimes the answers are so simple we overthink the obvious. THANK YOU. I will call JDS tech support and let them know.

Carl Schramm
03-11-2012, 8:14 PM
Thanks for the help. Cleanup with alcohol or acetone does the trick! The acetone seemed a little quicker, but alcohol works fine too. It's still anoying, though, that this extra step is required.