PDA

View Full Version : What Will Your Next Woodworking Investment Be?

Corey Hallagan
03-23-2005, 8:48 PM
Just curious what all of you are consideirng outfitting your shops with next? Since I just upgraded to a new table saw, I think my next purchase will either be a new router ( I have 3 Craftsman, 1 of which I love). I am thinking of either the Dewalt DW618 or the Hitachti M12VC. Also serously considering getting the Kreg K2000 pocket hole set. The more I read on this and see photos etc., this is fast becoming a want for me.
Ok, your turn! :)
Corey

Lou Morrissette
03-23-2005, 9:32 PM
Well, Corey, since my 1940's Craftsman 6"X48" belt sander just ate a bearing, I think a new one is in my near future. I don't know if I can find the parts to fix this old iron although I'd prefer to restore it.

Lou

Mark Patoka
03-23-2005, 9:34 PM
I just received my Hitachi M12VC last week to dedicate to a table. I'm looking at investing in the Woodpecker lift and table, building the mobile router cabinet (been getting great ideas from Tim Morton's thread), along with a long overdue dust collector.

scott spencer
03-23-2005, 9:38 PM
Guess it's time to break down and buy some wood. So far I've scavenged, reclaimed, bought rough sawn at the right price, and have been given alot of wood. Time to anty up and pay for some red elm.

Andy London
03-23-2005, 9:40 PM
My air compressor is on it's last breath......been a good little unit I bought back in 1987, it's built 10 homes, probably 40 decks and a pile of finish work, not bad for an oil less.....so I am shopping around for a quieter unit.....This will leave me with a good 3.5 h.p. electric motor......But what I really want is a bigger jointer with a spiral cutter head so the jury is out on which will come to the shop this year.

Dave Falkenstein
03-23-2005, 9:49 PM
First on my list is filling out my Festool collection. I have some odds and ends and I am just now ordering the rest of the tools so I can do all the neat things that John Lucas illustrates so well on www.woodshopdemos.com. It's a pretty big investment, but I'm convinced it is worth every cent. I have no workshop for several months each summer at our cabin near Flagstaff, AZ. The Festool system will be an interesting way to resolve that problem with a portable workshop. In the Fall I'm planning to get a Performax 22/44 Drum Sander for my home shop. Then I'll be out of space to put stuff - again! Funny - I keep a list of tools I want to acquire, and it never gets smaller.

John Miliunas
03-23-2005, 9:59 PM
Although not real high on my list of priorities, the next *major* investment would be to replace my lunchbox planer for a "real" one. Probably a good quality 15" would be just fine.:) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2005, 10:04 PM
With the completion of my new shop in view......my next investment will be my first bandsaw.

Jeff Naylor
03-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Festools for me too. I need the CT22 and a handful of sanders. I'm expecting Mr. UPS Man to leave a Systainer for me tomorrow with an OF1400 in it. :)

Dennis McDonaugh
03-23-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't really need any new power tools (I can't believe I'm saying that), but I seem to be spending a lot of money on hand tools, especially chisels. I ordered two LN chisels (1/8 and 1/4) and will probably order a few more of them. I also need a few carving chisels to make my letter carving experience a little smoother. And then there is that chair shaping I have to do so I need either an adz, scorp, compass plane and travisher or an angle grinder.

Jim Becker
03-23-2005, 10:10 PM
I am thinking that things will trickle in in the form of additional hand tools and various little accessories as needed. Nothing big. No room and "other" major cash outflows take precidence this year.

Chris Pasko
03-23-2005, 10:19 PM
I am in the process of upgrading my cu300smart to some new blue goodies =).

Per Swenson
03-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Well I am out of room. So I suppose I need to buy a
building. Then........ I will get one of these.
Soon.

Brian Knop
03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I will be getting some Henry Taylor Carving chisels and gouges.

Brian

Tim Morton
03-23-2005, 10:28 PM
(been getting great ideas from Tim Morton's thread)

Just remember I'm winging it and I have NO idea what I'm doing...other than that take all the idea's you want :D

I can't think of anything I need right now....I want a bandsaw, I keep checking the classifieds. But other than that I think I have all the tools I need. I am however thinking about a sanding station and a dado blade. So those may be my nnext 2 purchases.

JayStPeter
03-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I have something ordered that ought to get me in plenty of trouble. So, I expect I'll have to lay low for a while.

Jay

Jim O'Dell
03-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Since I'm in the middle of a shop rehab (new building to me, old building in terms of how it is built), and concentrating at first on the exterior, power tools are taking a back seat at the moment. My next purchase will be a Cyclone DC. I'll be ordering by the end of the month (official gloat and pictures to follow soon after) as I need to have the main body for exact dimensions as I get started on the interior, hopefully by the end of April. Maybe by the end of the year, I can save enough to get a decent starter Bandsaw. I've about decided not to go after the MM16 for my first one, but maybe an S14 for starters, but the decision is not made for sure. Who's next? Jim.

Ernie Hobbs
03-23-2005, 10:31 PM
I can dream can't I?

Frank Pellow
03-23-2005, 10:32 PM
There is no budget left for this year and I really hope to adhere to that. The next thing that I need is a good woodworking bench. Perhaps the one from Lee Valley will make it into next year's budget.

Corey Hallagan
03-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Frank, I have seen your beatuiful new shop!! All you need to do is budget some wood and put those kewl tools to use and make yourself a beauty of a bench! :)

Corey

David Fried
03-23-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm happy with the new table saw and my Grizzly planer. Next is to upgrade the ancient Sears 6" Jointer. But shop rehab comes first. Replace missing windows and flooring and get a wood stove! It was 45 the other day so I spent hours in the shop running wiring for the table saw and now I have a cold to show for it.

Carole Valentine
03-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Dust Collector and then a bigger lathe

Cliff Newton
03-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Either a woodsucker or oneida 2hp commercial depending on my budget and how big I can build a closet in my shop. I'm busy with home repairs for the next couple of months so I'll have time to save money.

Adrian Rogers
03-23-2005, 11:00 PM
I'd like my next purchase to be a DJ-20, preferably used and at a good price. Anyone know where to find one of those in GA or close to it?

-Adrian

Brad Schmid
03-23-2005, 11:14 PM
I'll be adding an MM16 at the beginning of April. Really looking forward to that after recently spending many hours resawing 10" 8/4 hard maple for 1/2" drawer sides for a bedroom dresser on my 14"saw.

Brad

Bruce Page
03-23-2005, 11:25 PM
The wood side of my shop is pretty complete. I've been looking at a DRO for my milling machine. :rolleyes:

Mark Singer
03-23-2005, 11:33 PM
I pretty much have all I need the tools I need...I guess some nice lumber and a few books for inspiration and to learn a little more...

Gary Breckenridge
03-23-2005, 11:41 PM
:o So far this season I have bought a Delta bandsaw, lathe, and air filter. I have also bought a Ryobi drill and a Porter Cable 330 sander. That doesn't count some cherry and maple. The only thing that I can now afford is a few sheets of sandpaper.:rolleyes:

David Dixson
03-24-2005, 12:11 AM
An 8" jointer, a cast iron router table top to put on a cabinet I build, a belt sander, an oscillating sander, a Bosch or PC router set, a "Normite" set of handplanes, scrapers and such. And as much more of that wood stuff as I can get my hands on one way or another.

Thomas Rudolph
03-24-2005, 1:01 AM
This past month I'm in the process of finalizing my shop! Put the General Millenium Edition Model 650-T50-M2 on the HTC mobile base. Ordered the Mini Max MM16 which should be in soon! Getting all the parts and pieces in order to DC drive the Legacy 1200 Ornamental Milling Machine . And just today ordered the Leigh D4 with some goodies...Still need to get the ductwork in place for the Oneida 2hp Component before making some serious sawdust...There is a twinkling of light at the end of the tunnel!!...Now I'll need to build the shop fund back up!:D

Dennis Peacock
03-24-2005, 1:03 AM
I can dream can't I?

I like the way you dream Ernie!!!! Especially the widebelt sander!!!!! Ooooh-Weeeeeee!!!!! :eek: :cool: ;)

Ian Barley
03-24-2005, 3:16 AM
This is the next thing in my plans -12" belt sander - but I gotta get back on my feet and earning before I pull the trigger

Gary Sutherland
03-24-2005, 4:20 AM
The only 'big' thing I really want to add is a horizontal slot mortiser.

gary

Ian Abraham
03-24-2005, 5:06 AM
I'm sure this can be classed as a woodworking machine.. and I want one ;)

Thats me at the controls pretending I can afford it ;)

Peterson factory open day last year.

Ian

Bill Lewis
03-24-2005, 6:04 AM
Well this year has already been a spending spree. I finished the shop, bought and installed the Oneida 2hp commercial DC and a new Unisaw. The only I'd still like to get would be an ocillating spindle sander. I kind of like the Rigid because it will also work as vertical belt sander, and it's portable. Not too pricey, but it may have to wait, wife wants me to build a deck this year.

Tony Falotico
03-24-2005, 6:17 AM
A lifetime membership in TBA (Tool Buyers Anonymous). :D :D :D

Seriously, I just sprung for the Woodpecker's Precision Router Lift and the Incra Ultra Jig -- should arrive next week. I would Like another router dedicated to the router table, looking at the Bosch 1617 2.25 HP. Also I do need a sharpening system, and a real band saw to replace the Craftsman 12" tilt head, a PM 66 would be nice, and a ..............................

TBA -- I NEED YOUR HELP !!!!!

Robert Johnstone
03-24-2005, 6:19 AM
More space. I am in the process of building a shed onto the side of my workshop to move wood storage from inside the shop. This will free space inside the shop. . .so I can "invest" in more stuff.

Ken Salisbury
03-24-2005, 6:39 AM
I am thinking about getting one of these:

Bill Arnold
03-24-2005, 7:12 AM
My major investment for the next several months will be using all the tools we've bought in the past year to build even more furniture for LOML, my best client. (She pays well, too. ;)) We've bought a carload of wood and veneer over the last few weeks -- most of that will go for speculation pieces that I will exhibit and hope to sell. I'll also continue on pieces to complete our bedroom suite (bed and nightstand pics on our website). So, the 'major investment' for me will be time in the shop! :D

Bill Arnold
03-24-2005, 7:14 AM
A lifetime membership in TBA (Tool Buyers Anonymous). :D :D :D ...
Hello, my name is Bill. I'm a toolaholic! :rolleyes:

Ian Abraham
03-24-2005, 7:37 AM
I am thinking about getting one of these:
Ken

I came across one of those on our last road trip

dont think it was for sale though :(

Ian

Jeff Sudmeier
03-24-2005, 7:45 AM
This is a neat thread!

Well as John Miliunas knows, I have been on a spending spree as of lated. None of them have arrived, but I have 4 great additions to the shop on their way.

After those additions, I would really like to build a router table and buy a hand held router so that I can dedicate my current router to the table. The next big iron I would like is one of three, a stationary planer, a cabinet saw or a drum sander.

Byron Trantham
03-24-2005, 7:46 AM
I am pretty happy with my tools. I would like to replace my Stanley planes and chisels with LN sutff; five chisels and three planes. :)

Rob Russell
03-24-2005, 7:49 AM
Hey Kan Salisbury - are you lusting after something that you used as a kid? That why you posted that image? :D

Aaron Montgomery
03-24-2005, 7:53 AM
I've decided that I finally need to get some sort of drum sander - perhaps a 22-44. I'd consider a woodmaster, but that's really more than I want to spend today. Probably a few months out yet.

John Bailey
03-24-2005, 8:13 AM
I have a lot of building to finish my shop before I buy any big stuff. Next for me will be a grinder and a good sharpening system so I can get my handtools in shape. I have used them alot while building my shop. In addition I'll be buying a set of good Japanese handsaws. I've got a cheapy from Home Depot and use it constantly. After that I'll be getting a 16"-20" bandsaw, 6"-8" planer, drill press, 15" stationary planer and a cyclone in very short order. Soon after that will come a spindle and disc sander followed closely by a small drum sander. After that, I die.

John

Byron Trantham
03-24-2005, 8:25 AM
I have a lot of building to finish my shop before I buy any big stuff. Next for me will be a grinder and a good sharpening system so I can get my handtools in shape. I have used them alot while building my shop. In addition I'll be buying a set of good Japanese handsaws. I've got a cheapy from Home Depot and use it constantly. After that I'll be getting a 16"-20" bandsaw, 6"-8" planer, drill press, 15" stationary planer and a cyclone in very short order. Soon after that will come a spindle and disc sander followed closely by a small drum sander. After that, I die.

John

Nope! You won't die. You won't have the most tools yet? :D :D

Mike Mastin
03-24-2005, 8:29 AM
I would like to add a smaller wide belt sander (24") to our shop, but that will not likely happen til 1st quarter of next year. Wish I could justify a 37" for the shop, but the 24" would be a blessing ;)

Finally got our new 24" planer wired in this week and still need to get the plumbing to it from the DC for it to be truly ready to roll.

Dan Gill
03-24-2005, 8:38 AM
Wood. I just bought a bandsaw and a bunch of small stuff, and I really shouldn't buy anything else that isn't actually going into a project. But I need the secondary wood for the Mission dressers I'm going to build.

Greg Narozniak
03-24-2005, 9:09 AM
Need to buy a bigger shed so I can get the yard tools, snow blower etc out of the garage so I can gain some more room to add tools down the road. :D

Another router or two is on the short list as well

Larry D. Wagner
03-24-2005, 9:23 AM
:) Probably don't need anything, BUT :D I want an INCRA TS system and a drum sander. LOML thinks there is an extreme difference between need and want, but I could never make that distinction. :rolleyes:

Larry

Glen Blanchard
03-24-2005, 9:41 AM
Well, I am about done making a new router table top. I have dropped my new Jointech Digital SmartLift in it. That thing is truly sweet!!

Am currently installing an Excalibur overhead blade guard. Now I can see what everyone has been talking about. Man, that installation "manual' is the absolute pits!!!!

Frank Pellow
03-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Need to buy a bigger shed so I can get the yard tools, snow blower etc out of the garage so I can gain some more room to add tools down the road. :D

Another router or two is on the short list as well
What do you mean BUY? :confused: Surely you will BUILD. :)

Scott Lemmers
03-24-2005, 10:04 AM
I think I will invest in a really good divorce lawyer!!
That should make all tool purchases go smoother.
(if I could still afford them:) ).
All joking aside, I am in need of a new table saw to start the kitchen cabinet project I recently posted.
The above mentioned wife is a little hesitant on letting me purchase a $3,000 table saw without seeing my skill level and finished product. (she may be smarter than I think:) ).
If I go to the local Home Depot and pick up their top of the line Rigid 10" table saw will this work for me? I can easily swing the $600, but I want to know that it is good enough to do what I need (cabinets, entertainment center, etc.)
Please advise.

John Bailey
03-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Didn't say I'd die the winner, just a happy guy!!

John

Frank Pellow
03-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Frank, I have seen your beatuiful new shop!! All you need to do is budget some wood and put those kewl tools to use and make yourself a beauty of a bench! :)

Corey
I might, indeed, build my own bench next year. But, I expect that the cost of materials and vices will approach the cost of the Lee Valley bench that I like: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31152&cat=1,41637

If I do get the Lee Valley bench, I will get the one with wooden legs and will attach a couple of casters to the sides at one end, so that the bench can be moved (after tipping it up).

Frank Pellow
03-24-2005, 10:16 AM
If I go to the local Home Depot and pick up their top of the line Rigid 10" table saw will this work for me? I can easily swing the $600, but I want to know that it is good enough to do what I need (cabinets, entertainment center, etc.)
Please advise.
My brother-in-law Jeff built a really nice set of cabinets for the kitchen and another set for the family room using exactly that saw. Of course, this is mostly due to his skill, but he was very happy with the Rigid saw (an upgrade from his old Crapsman).

Mark J Bachler
03-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Well I am out of room. So I suppose I need to buy a
building. Then........ I will get one of these.
Soon.
You will love it.

Alan Mikkelsen
03-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Well, I'm going the other way. I'm loading my trailer with my old table saw (1953 Craftsman, Accusquare fence, 2 hp motor, etc), my combination belt/disc sander, a 1 hp dust collector stored in the barn, two maple rocking chairs, two maple end tables and a coffee table, and a few other items. We're hitting the road tomorrow morning for a 500 miles trip to our son, who's on the receiving end.

Just to make myself feel better about my generousity, I just pulled the trigger on a Grizzly G0529 12"disc/spindle sander combination. :D Hopefully that will be here next week!

I don't have enough of a problem to belong to TBA. But my wife belongs to TBA-anon....is she trying to send me a message?:p

Dan Gill
03-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Please advise.

Well, I built my kitchen cabinets, a bathroom vanity, a huge three-piece bookshelf unit, several tables, many shop fixtures, etc. with much less saw than that - a Ryobi BT3100. It's easily doable with that Ridgid saw. You don't need a cabinet saw to make cabinets.

Scott Lemmers
03-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the replies!
Rigid it is.
Maybe with the savings I can pick up the sliding compound mitre saw I want. The wife does want all the moldings replaced, so you must have the right tool for the job!! Atleast thats what I tell her.

Jerry Ingraham
03-24-2005, 1:02 PM
My next investment will be a DC followed shortly by a Performax 16/32 or 22/44 (whichever the budget allows).

Scott Coffelt
03-24-2005, 2:19 PM
Well if the weather cooperates and everything else goes as planned, I'll be outfitting my shop with a dedicated shop. Of course then I need to upgrade some tools. Future upgrades: 8" Jointer, 15" Planner, 80" edge sander, and who knows what.

Stephen Dixon
03-24-2005, 3:39 PM
My next investment will probably be a new router table. I think a lathe is in my mind for the next major tool purchase, followed by a wide belt/drum sander. I intend to drop my Rockler router table top on a Norm clone ala. Matt Meiser's beautiful design. I'd like the Jet 1642-2 Lathe and then a Performax 16-32 or 22-44 depending on finances.
steve

Christopher Pine
03-24-2005, 3:48 PM
Hello My name is Chris and I am a tool aholic...

I have been biting my lip for years and I keep on using my, more than 10 yr old now, Ryobi bt 3000... Yes thats right I have this piece of ...machinery. and I want somthing more! .. It does work but just trying the unisaw with the 3hp motor and nice heavey top and well outfitted biesmeyer fence and well placed outfeed tables... arghhhh.... I have a Ryobi!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I, even though a tool-aholic believe strongly in paying cash for things whenever possible so I am allmost half way to saving for my dream table saw...
:)

Chris

Christopher Stahl
03-24-2005, 4:13 PM
Definitely a 16-32 or 22-44. I just ordered an Oneida 2hp Commercial. I'll probably build a new router table and a nice router lift.

chris

Bob Marino
03-24-2005, 4:16 PM
On the very, very strong recommendation of a friend, I splurged and ordered a LAP-SHARP sharpening system :D

Bob

Frank Pellow
03-24-2005, 4:41 PM
Definitely a 16-32 or 22-44. ...
chris
For those of not steeped in the numbers of all tools, what might this be? :confused:

Steven Wilson
03-24-2005, 4:49 PM
Nothing, absolutly nothing. The only thing I want to improve my shop is a shop building. Someday, sometime, I'll find something on the market that I can afford.

Michael Ballent
03-24-2005, 5:27 PM
For those of not steeped in the numbers of all tools, what might this be? :confused:

A 16-32 and 22-44 would be a Performax 16"-32" or 22"-44" Drum Sander :)

Richard Wolf
03-24-2005, 5:44 PM
I just ordered a Shop Fox 26" dual drum sander from my local supplier. It should be delivered in about one week. It will replace a Delta 18-36, which IMHO was never worth the money it costs.

Richard

Silas Smith
03-24-2005, 6:14 PM
I have been kicking myself for not picking up a grizzly cabinet saw for a steal when I could have. I find myself watching all over for a Unisaw, so I wouldn't be surprised if I pick one up. Oh, the Houston Woodworking show is next weekend, I might as well call my divorce lawyer now.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-24-2005, 11:24 PM
I too want a bandsaw next....but I think the 'new' DC system will have to come first. I already have it (220v Jet 1200), just need to stab a 220 and a few hoses to get me by until the time comes to move it to it's own shed with the compressor.

Bill Lewis
03-25-2005, 6:32 AM
I don't have enough of a problem to belong to TBA. But my wife belongs to TBA-anon....is she trying to send me a message?:p

Oh my it's too late, one of the first signs of a problem is denial.

John Renzetti
03-25-2005, 7:25 AM
I'd like to get a nice edgesander. Also looking at an open ended widebelt that is sold by Leneave Machinery in NC under the Northstate brand.

Bill Arnold
03-25-2005, 7:49 AM
Definitely a 16-32 or 22-44. ...

I dug in my heels for a long time before purchasing a 16-32. I've had mine for about a month and now wonder how I ever got along without it! :D

Christopher Stahl
03-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Frank, what Michael said. A Performax Drum Sander.

chris

Christopher Stahl
03-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Bill,
I keep dragging my feet to buy it, but I know it would be a great addition.

chris

Sparky Paessler
03-25-2005, 2:26 PM
Well I just got my next power tool! :D :D :D

James Carmichael
03-25-2005, 3:03 PM
I don't know what the next shop investment will be, but the one after that will likely be a good divorce lawyer :eek:

Just kidding, LOML is pretty cool about it. In fact, I have to be the CFO (kinda scary to those who know me. She'd let me buy most anything as long as I don't intrude on her half of the garage.

mike lucas
03-25-2005, 6:55 PM
It is hard too tell what mynext tool/machine will be, but I really need to upgrade my jointer to something bigger, more powerful, and much better then my 42" bed undersized 6" under powered 1/2 horsepower Jet, old woreout 1987 jointer. I always have a hard time parting with my money for something that replaces something I already have.

Chris Pasko
03-25-2005, 9:02 PM
The new blue I spoke of =). I cant wait for their delivery heh.

http://www.format-4.com/data/produkte/00260_blob_1_detail.jpg
http://www.format-4.com/data/produkte/00261_bild_thumbnail.jpg
http://www.format-4.com/data/produkte/00264_bild_thumbnail.jpg
http://www.format-4.com/data/produkte/00240_bild_thumbnail.jpg

John Renzetti
03-25-2005, 9:27 PM
hi Chris, Well you'll never have to worry about upgrading, unless you want to get some Martins. :)
I saw the Format Profi shaper. With the Aigner fence plates that fence needs two people to swing it away.
talk to you later,
John

John Hart
03-25-2005, 9:56 PM
I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with what I have...running out of room too!...I gotta get rid of an old table saw so I can move around again.

Chris Pasko
03-25-2005, 10:18 PM
hi Chris, Well you'll never have to worry about upgrading, unless you want to get some Martins. :)
I saw the Format Profi shaper. With the Aigner fence plates that fence needs two people to swing it away.
talk to you later,
John

Well originally I was thinking that down the road I will upgrade to Martin! NOW after seeing their price, I am very happy where I am.

As for the aigner fence, I received the short version, the one at felder was the longer version. It will help a little bit =). Eric also told Rudi they need to do something about the piston on the back of the machines with the aigner fence. I was busting on Eric when I seen him struggling until I gave it a try haha...that thing is HEAVY, after that I stopped busting on him haha.

Thank you for all your help and input!

Dan Forman
03-26-2005, 6:02 AM
I just ordered a Minimax MM16, will pickup shortly a DJ 20 jointer, and jet casnister dust collector, the larger of the two. Will need to decid on dewalt planjeter vs a 15 inch

Richard Danckaert
03-26-2005, 2:22 PM
On the corded side my next purchase is a dust collector.The neander in me has been looking at the Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane.

What I wish I could buy is more time to use the tools I already have.

Cheers,

Rich

Ned Bulken
03-26-2005, 9:23 PM
next tool for the shop will probably a bigger DC, then either a g0555 with riser kit, or a midi-lathe. not sure at this point, will be awhile before that is in the budget.