PDA

View Full Version : Oliver 4240 jointer

David Peterson MN
03-08-2012, 3:27 PM
An used Oliver 4240 10" jointer just landed in my shop this afternoon(pics coming soon). It has the "spiral" head that is 3 blades curved along the cutterhead. They do have some nicks in them. I have been trying to adjust the tables to the cutterhead and I am having terrible luck. I dont know if it is because the blades are excessively dull or not but it wont even take the pencil line off the edge of a board when I try to edge joint.:mad: I have been adjusting both tables according to the manual but my cut (or lack there of) never seems to change. Also, the head feels like it is grabbing my board and self feeding it forward.

After some research, I found that these types of knives dull very quickly. Could it be dull knives causing these symptoms? Is it even worth keeping this style of cutterhead or would I be better off spending the 700 dollars for a byrd head. I will be milling alot of QSWO in the near future. I did pay 1200 for this machine (not sure if it is too gloat worthy). What would you guys do? Keep buying new knives or just spring for the byrd head. Or am I just way off on my adjustments?

Thanks guys!

David Peterson MN
03-08-2012, 4:52 PM
I solved the issue with the lack of cutting...polarity was reversed on the machine for the three phase motor:o

frank shic
03-08-2012, 7:28 PM
$1200 for 10" of a tank of a jointer sounds like a great deal. please show us pics soon!

Michael Mayo
03-08-2012, 9:36 PM
Worthless without pics...........:D Great score by the way!

Dick Mahany
03-08-2012, 9:51 PM
Really want to SEE THIS MACHINE ! Congrats big time.

David Kumm
03-08-2012, 10:00 PM
I'd try the existing head until you know for sure you don't like it before popping for a new Byrd. Get used to the machine, then decide. Not many fans of the spiral knife thing but be your own judge. Dave

Jim Andrew
03-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I had a jointer the same model. Seems like also had the same problem. Had to just lower the outfeed table a slight bit if I remember right.

Jeff Duncan
03-08-2012, 10:45 PM
First off I'm glad you weren't hurt!!! Wood self feeding on a jointer is a pretty sure fire way of knowing somethings wrong:eek:

Hopefully you learned the most important thing about three phase equipment....always, always, ALWAYS check the rotation of the machine when you first wire it up!!!

Anyway good luck with the machine, should be a good one;)

JeffD

Larry Edgerton
03-09-2012, 7:05 AM
I wired up my Omga RAS and turned it on and the blade loosened. Hmmm.....

I tightened it up and hit the switch, it loosened again. Then the light bulb went off.....

Nice score. I'm in the try the head first camp. I use Tersa steel knives and like them. I have a Byrd, and its OK, but I prefer the Tersa even though they require more maintainance.

Larry

David Peterson MN
03-09-2012, 2:36 PM

I was within 12 hours of pulling the trigger on a grizzly g0609x when I found this on craigslist. The gentleman I purchased it from was also kind enough to deliver it to me which was definitely out of his way to do. I will take everyones advice and try a new set of blades and see how those work. Thanks for the advice.

frank shic
03-09-2012, 2:41 PM
*salivates* oh man i wish i were there to see the look on your face the first time you joint a 10" wide board...

Van Huskey
03-09-2012, 3:16 PM
Very nice 1,100 pound chunck of iron. YOU SUCK.

frank shic
03-09-2012, 3:47 PM
definitely looks like it'd survive the apocalypse!

Ray Scheller
03-09-2012, 6:52 PM
I bought my 4240 w/ the helical head installed 3 years ago. If you end up going this route (helical) you won't be disappointed. It can flatten a 8" wide piece of purpleheart like butter. The best part of this is the cutters which have proven to be very tough. I've only rotated them once in three years and I mill a lot of rough timbers. Good luck with whichever option you choose

Mark Ashmeade
03-09-2012, 7:13 PM
Your dust collection arrangement for the new jointer is atrocious. Are the chips supposed to magic themselves from the machine to the duct?

You need to give it to me if you can't even get that right :)

frank shic
03-09-2012, 7:43 PM
lol that's funny... only a few more inches!

David Peterson MN
03-09-2012, 9:15 PM
Your dust collection arrangement for the new jointer is atrocious. Are the chips supposed to magic themselves from the machine to the duct?

You need to give it to me if you can't even get that right :)

That is the job of the shop elves.