PDA

View Full Version : Ramping up the VORTEX -

Roger Chandler
03-08-2012, 2:56 PM
My dust collector is beside my lathe and I use it regularly to clean up chips. dust from sanding and shavings......as well as hook up to my other machines like table saw and planer, etc.

I read some articles in the last issue of Fine Woodworking [online]and decided I needed to make my dust collection more efficient ..........with a VORTEX separator lid and a trash can for the big stuff to collect into. This is supposed to make dust collection more efficient, and an added benefit is easier emptying of the curlees from turning.

I am trying to make my dust collection as efficient as possible and keep that sanding dust out of my lungs. I had to move my lathe over about 18 inches to accomodate the trash can, and that was a chore.......I ended up using a steel rod as a lever to get lift and movement against the floor.

Dan Forman
03-08-2012, 4:23 PM
Roger --- Your new addition will help with the big stuff, but if you want to keep dust out of your lungs, the best thing you can do is get rid of the cloth filter bag on your dust (actually chip) collector and get a real filter for it like one of these. file://localhost/Users/danforman/Desktop/Woodworking 3/new woodworking/dust collection stuff/wynn cartridge/35A Series Cartridge Kit.webloc

The cloth filter bags just pass all of the finest, most dangerous dust particles back into the air, a filter will actually trap them.

Dan

Roger Chandler
03-08-2012, 4:45 PM
Dan that bag is a 1 micron filter bag........same as the cartridge filters. I am contemplating putting a cartridge filter on this DC unit, however, because of the increased air flow.

When I get my new shop built, I am planning on putting in a cyclone system..........that ought to ramp things up another notch!

Steve Vaughan
03-08-2012, 7:16 PM
Roger, I've had my set up like that for a couple years. It's a huge help with emptying all the chips and curlies. I'd say I empty the trashcan (actually, mines a heavy cardboard-type of industrial barrel type of thing) four or five, maybe more, times before I'm actually having to empty that clear plastic trashbag thing. Need to look into that 1 micron bag though, that's for sure...and I'm not sure mine currently is.

David DeCristoforo
03-08-2012, 7:30 PM
Dan, your link is to a file on your computer, not something that anyone but you can access. Can you post a live link or a pic?

Roger Chandler
03-08-2012, 7:52 PM
David,

Here is a link to wynn environmental who has aftermarket cartridge filters for most units.........hope this helps!

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

tom gepfrich
03-08-2012, 8:14 PM
I just installed the wynn nano filter on my harbor freight DC and it is a night and day difference. Suction is up and the fine dust that used to escape the DC is GONE. I have been doing a lot of fine dust things and my shop looks cleaner every day.

James Combs
03-08-2012, 8:25 PM
Roger, I have a similar but homemade setup. In the 3 years I have been using it I think I have emptied the plastic bag maybe 3 times and then is was only that I was feeling guilty about not having to empty it.;) This is an old pic of it.

Roger Chandler
03-08-2012, 8:32 PM
Thanks JD.........that is a pretty nifty setup there..........I like your lid on the barrel.........looks like your metal fabrication skills rival your wood turning skills!

Thomas Heck
03-08-2012, 10:03 PM
How would this one do for about a 12 x 12 shop just using lathe.

Jet Dust Collector

(http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=2055)

DC-650CK
2.67 cu.ft 2-Micron Cannister
1Ph, 115V/230V
650 cfm
One 4"
77 lb.

Dan Forman
03-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks Roger, that was the link.

Dan

Roger Chandler
03-09-2012, 7:15 AM
Thomas,

For just collecting from a lathe, that unit you mentioned should be fine. My DC has 1200 cfm, and it will collect chips, etc from table saw, radial arm saw, and router table all the way at the other end of the 14 x 20 shop. I use pvc pipe as my ducts, and I get great collection all across, but I do use blast gates to seal off the machines not in use at the time.

Thomas Heck
03-09-2012, 6:11 PM
Thanks Roger, just hate to invest alot in the wrong thing. Thanks for the advice.

Roger Chandler
03-09-2012, 7:10 PM
Thanks Roger, that was the link.

Dan

Glad I could help Dan....hope DD found what he was looking for.

Roger Chandler
03-09-2012, 7:11 PM
Thanks Roger, just hate to invest alot in the wrong thing. Thanks for the advice.

That makes two of us Thomas.........I don't think we have to learn all lessons the hard way......I'm glad the creek is here as a resource for us all! :)

Rick Markham
03-10-2012, 4:34 AM
I move my lathe with a rolling floor jack for a car. I've had to move mine twice recently, and it still isn't fun with the jack, but it's better than having to use an iron bar! I need to finally finish my separator, I've never "gotten around to it"

Double D, do you have a dust collector in your turnin tent? I figured you just opened the sides and swept your curlies straight into the garden... Me I just let the shavings get tracked all over my house, it gives my home that real sawdust floored "honkey tonk" feel :)

Roger Chandler
03-10-2012, 1:37 PM
Me I just let the shavings get tracked all over my house, it gives my home that real sawdust floored "honkey tonk" feel :)

That's funny Rick! 226660