PDA

View Full Version : A "What to do" list....

steven c newman
03-08-2012, 2:25 PM
From the "Rust Scout Files"

Found ;

Stanley handyman #3 or a #4 size
large ( over 1" wide iron) rabbet plane, wood body, rusty iron
Stanley #26 Trans plane, more rust
Wood profile plane, cuts astragals ( two 'flats' with a round hump in between) no cutter, no wedge. Wood body in great shape
Maybe 10 old hand braces, dusty rusty, no bits included
Maybe 25-30 Handsaws ( sorry, no backsaws were found) Some good handles, some ready to fall -apart wooden thingys that happen to look like a handle. All rusty, many have either missing sawnuts, or have "regular" nuts and bolts sitting where the sawnuts USED to be

handyman plane @ $10:)
Rabbet plane )maker unkown) @ $20 (Really?):eek:
#26 @ $35 ( would need a soul job):)
Profile wood body @$2 ( might be worth the $2):D
Hand drills $varies. No bits though, and i still have my makita:rolleyes:
Saws; $2 up to $5. All shapes and sizes, all rusty, and have handle issues. There is a "MAYBE" or two in there...;)

This is from a day or two of Rust Scouting. payday is friday, we'll see what else is out there. ( anybody want to tag along:confused:?) This is from THREE thrift stores in town. I can almost walk down town to them. Carrying a bunch of old toys, er, tools back (uphill at that) might be rough though:(. There were a few other old handtools at these places. Just a thought....;)

Zach Dillinger
03-08-2012, 2:45 PM
I'd buy that astragal plane in a heartbeat. Wedges are easy to make and irons can be ground quickly to fit. The other stuff... probably not at those prices. If the rabbet plane were square, not skewed, and not totally trashed, I'd consider $10 or $15.

David Weaver
03-08-2012, 2:46 PM
I personally would probably let all of it go to someone else. The wild card would be if one of the saws turned out to be a good straight D8 with good teeth (you can find sawnuts and a medallion for about $10 or a little more sometimes).

Perhaps if one of the rusty braces was an old pexto with a sampson chuck or something else you could use immediately or had a need for.

Otherwise, buying rusted up tools and transitionals that are rusty and need a new sole (and likely a new iron) is a good way to lose money and still need to buy decent tools.

If you need a #3 or #4 size, watch ebay for a red frog millers falls #9 (that's what they call their 4) without rust, for about $15-$35, or buy a less respected stanley type for about $30. (there's always a chance you could find something like these locally for $5, but it depends on if you want to wait and how long).

The saws sound the most promising, but make sure they're not junk saws - there's no virtue in a $5 junk saw unless there's some part on it you can sell for more than $5, or unless you need spring steel for scrapers and there is a saw with a plate that's not pitted or rusted.

steven c newman
03-08-2012, 4:30 PM
There are a couple BIG rip saws, with decent if not great handles. The handyman would be more for cleaning up some of my old Barn Wood, just to save the newly restore stuff from hidden cut nails. Not sure IF it's a 'rabbet plane, or not. Big, thick, wide iron, sitting at a skew. No nicker that I could see. A lot of the braces are two-jaw types, with lots of wood for handles.

The Stanley #26, I will pass on. I just finished re-habbing a Stanley #129 Fore plane.

That Astragal plane IS mine, people! I can easily afford THAT $2, and still have some for a new iron. Wedges are easy to cut out.

There is a big selection of used Power tools at the one store.

There is another such store on the way home from work, but they are only open on Saturdays, Post office the rest of the time. Some Saturday morning, after work, I might have to stop in and look around.

David Weaver
03-08-2012, 4:56 PM
It would be uncommon for all of the big rips to be junk. If you think you'll want to do that type of work by hand in the future, it probably wouldn't hurt to pick a couple out that had a decent handle, good plate depth and no broken teeth (else you'll have to find someone with a puncher to do them, or spend a bunch of money for files).

I don't think a lot of the home handyman saws were made in big rip profiles.

You're probably right about a rabbet. I've only paid more than $20 for one rabbet plane, and it was a 2 inch wide plane with a nicker. I agree with zach, I'd rather have a straight rabbet plane, and the rusty iron makes it iffy unless you know you'll have no trouble with it.

steven c newman
03-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Went down the road today.. There was a big old rip in one pile, WITH a thumbhole handle: $2 I did pick up that Handyman #4. $8 for it. I also got the wood bodied Atragal plane for $2. I was looking around in the box the plane came from, thinking there MIGHT be the iron lurking about in there. Nope, but there was this handle, kind of a tease, just poking up out of the junk in the box. A 10" long blade, both the blade and the back were a dark blue/black under the usual rust coat. "How much for the saw?" $1.21 "Sold". They even provided a bag to carry my stuff home with. As for that Rip saw......well, it is still there. Corner of Court and Main ave. , across from Ron & Nita's Work clothes stores.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2012, 1:13 PM
The handyman would be more for cleaning up some of my old Barn Wood, just to save the newly restore stuff from hidden cut nails.

That is an excellent reason for having a set of "expendable" tools.

There is also a big difference in your needs and mine.

Most of these tools are already in my accumulation. The fat iron skew bladed plane may have gotten my attention. If the blade can be set all the way to the side edges it is a rabbet plane.

To someone without an accumulation of tools, some of these could be bargains. They could even be bargains to someone looking to fill in their "expendable" tool selection.

jtk

steven c newman
03-09-2012, 5:17 PM
The skewed iron on that plane goes all the way through both sides. Still quite sharp (ouch!) too. And STILL $20....

steven c newman
03-13-2012, 9:35 AM
The "Poplar Thrift store & Emphorium" has moved ALL tools to their basement. Same store that a Bailey #8c came from (@ $25)

"The Trade N Post" has a miter saw "combo' going on: 10" mitersaw (the hand powered kind) a 20+' saw also, both go with an old metal mitersaw ( didn't see a brand name) all for $10. Store is on Court street, near the corner of Main and Court. Sidney, Ohio.

The is a "this and that" store beside the Trade N Post. The handsaw I picked up for $1.21 came from there, with the Astragal plane. All three of these stores have at least a dozen handsaws hanging around, waiting a buyer. From $2 up to the $10 Combo.

Redoing the handle on the saw I picked up. New Black Walnut has been rough cut to fit. Missing ONE sawnut. May get out to the woodshop this weekend.

The Handyman plane, a size #4 from Stanley, has been re-habbed back to better than new. kept that RED frog, and the dark Blue body paint. Lever cap had lost 90% of it's metal plating. Removed the rest, and polished it up. looks better that way, anyway. Was able to flatten the sole, and sides. Adjusted the frog and blade to make NICE thin shavings. Might turn into a nice smoother, just takes a little work, is all.