PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking vises...

Harold Burrell
03-08-2012, 1:35 PM
I am putting together a bench (finally), and would like to know what you all's recommendations would be for vises. I am not looking to spend a ton of money, but I don't want junk either.

Thanks.

Greg Portland
03-08-2012, 2:02 PM
- Are you building a traditional bench? If not (e.g. a Festool "holes all over the place" bench) then you might be able to get by with less permanent hardware.
- What style?
- What is your hardware budget for the project?
- What features are critical and which features are nice to have (quick release, clamping pressure, tilt, jaw skewing, etc.)? A basic threaded screw + jaw faces + cork/leather can be had cheaply & it will grip wood. It may be a pain to open and close but it will work. As you spend more $$$ you get smoother action, a quick release (and then a better quick release :-), the ability to skew the jaws slightly for non-parallel boards, and a mechanism that will last lifetimes.

Zahid Naqvi
03-08-2012, 2:54 PM
Harold, if you want more input perhaps move this thread to the neanderthal haven, or I can do it for you. You will get an earful and then some.

Jim Andrew
03-08-2012, 2:54 PM
Look at Grizzly, prices are right, vises are good.

Myk Rian
03-08-2012, 3:00 PM
I am not looking to spend a ton of money, but I don't want junk either.

Thanks.
Then look on CL for a big ole iron one. You can spend a ton of money on a new one, and get a lot less vise.

Harold Burrell
03-08-2012, 3:02 PM
I am building a bench similar to the one below.My hardware budget is...well...hard to say. I don't exactly know what to expect. So, maybe, $200 or so.

As far as features, again...i dunno. A quick release would be nice, I suppose. But I'm thinking I might be able to get a better (more solidly built) vise without that. As far as "clamping pressure, tilt, jaw skewing, etc." I'm clueless.

Here's the bottomline...I really don't know what I am doing...:o

Erik France
03-08-2012, 3:57 PM
For your end vice the Veritas twin screw from Lee Valley would be a good choice. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=45114&cat=1,41659 It is a bit more than your maybe $200 though.

There's lots of options for your face vice.

Prashun Patel
03-08-2012, 4:09 PM
Harold-
I have one of these as a front vise. They're straightforward to install, and nice and big. You can get the quick release vsn if you wish, but I have both, and don't find the non-quick release to be a big nuissance.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=31137&cat=1,41659,41661

It's large enough to be used as an end vise. If you don't feel like buying two expensive vises, this one will make a good second vise too.

Harold Burrell
03-08-2012, 4:27 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Here's a little more info on my plans. My top is made out of mdf, about 2 1/2" thick. I will edge it with hardwood (probably maple?). The measurements will be approx. 2'x4'. The base will be basically construction lumber.

I plan on drilling 3/4" holes for dogs, etc.

The bench will also double as an outfeed table.

Zahid Naqvi
03-08-2012, 4:35 PM
I am sure you will get more action in neanderthal land. Search for leg vise in this forum. It is a cheap and very effective solution to a front vise.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-08-2012, 4:36 PM
My choice would be the Veritas inset vise. Can be retrofitted into a table that can't be fitted with the "normal" wood vises. I made my table with the skirting too large and can't fit the normal ones. Someday I'll get off my chair and do it. With enough peg holes, your depth is almost as big and versatile as your table.

Ryan Baker
03-08-2012, 8:36 PM
I have one of the Woodcraft large quick-release front vises (the large green one) that is almost worthless. It lives up to its name and releases quickly every time you put any clamping pressure on it. I would avoid that one. I have a smaller non-quick-release version also, and that one has worked fine so far. I have never been a fan of quick-release vises, and this one hasn't helped my opinion. I would suggest avoiding that feature. I've never had a problem with a non-quick release vise, but never used a quick -release one I liked.

Lee Valley (and others) have similar vise hardware.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-08-2012, 8:54 PM
I bought a Jorgensen quick-release iron vise because it was both available locally, and made in the USA. I did add a wooden chop to it, but I've been nothing but thrilled with the thing.

Trevor Walsh
03-08-2012, 9:10 PM
Then look on CL for a big ole iron one. You can spend a ton of money on a new one, and get a lot less vise.

I agree I found a giant Colombian quick release on CL for dirt, and a follow up about some wood turned up two QR vises like Schwarz used on the French bench. If you have time to dig through posts its well worth it.

Mike Holbrook
03-08-2012, 9:51 PM
Lee Valley sells a screw, under Tail-Vise Screw for $30 something which can be made into a leg vise or you could buy two and make an actual tail vise with the second. My favorite vises are all more than your entire budget, check out Hovarter Vises, the Veritas Twin Screw chain vise, new Veritas Quick Release. I am planing on a Hovarter ( which is a quick release ) and Veritas' new Quick Release Front Vise. The cheapest alternative is to just use a crochet and clamps or Veritas Surface Clamp(s). There have been several very long threads on this subject in the last few months.

John Coloccia
03-08-2012, 9:54 PM
What do you intend to use the bench for?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-08-2012, 10:04 PM

John brings up a good point - considering you originally posted in the general forum, you might not be as hand-tool centric as this forum - so a set up that makes it easy to joint edges, face plane boards, and cut tenons might not be the best use of your time and money if you use a jointer, planer, and tablesaw for all that stuff.

Also, if you're not clamping things in and out of a vise all day as you cut joinery with a handsaw, it might be better to forgo quick-release in favor of a vise that also works as a spreader.

Don't underestimate holdfasts - I know a guy who uses them a whole lot - simply because it's the quickest way to keep things clamped while he's working with a hand-held router.

One thing I've been doing on my bench build is thinking about what I'd like, and what I can afford now, and building it so that when I can afford the thing I'd like to add to it, they're easy to add.

David Posey
03-08-2012, 10:09 PM
If you don't have a definite design in mind yet, I would suggest looking through the bench threads in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQ section at the top of this thread. Those threads can give you ideas on vises and a whole lot more.

What exactly will this bench be used for? You say it will double for an outfeed table, so I'm assuming it will mostly be supplementing power tool work. I'm asking because if you ever plan on using holdfasts, you'll want to go with something other than MDF for the top. I would also make the legs a lot beefier than in the picture you posted. This is especially critical if you go with Zahid's suggestion of a leg vise. These are really easy to execute and give a lot of clamping pressure. The hardware costs about $35 from LV. And if you ever handplane anything on that bench you won't regret having a sturdier and heavier base.

Harold Burrell
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM

True...I am more of a "power tool" guy. However, I have been using hand planes more and more. I also (occasionaly) hand-cut dovetails. So...to answer your question...I will be doing a little of everything on it.

Mike Holbrook
03-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Ohhhh nooo, he is sliding down the same slippery slope I did. I think many people on this forum started that way. This from the guy who just spent most of the day cutting up construction lumber with a nasty old 12" electric miter saw and stand, and breaking up sheet goods for a floor with my trusty Festool plunge saw.

I kept threatening to go get my nest of hand saws, but my builder buddy kept talking me out of it ;-)

Harold Burrell
03-09-2012, 9:49 AM
Ohhhh nooo, he is sliding down the same slippery slope I did. I think many people on this forum started that way...

Yeah...I know...

I just recently started tuning up some old planes that I have picked up at garage sales. I also bought a WorkSharp 3000 (yeah...I know...not exactly "traditional"). I have done a little planing and...OH, MAN...I like it.

Bryan Schwerer
03-09-2012, 10:04 AM

This is the most important response here. I'm looking at building my 2nd bench to more optimize the way I work. What happens now is that everything I do seems to depend upon my leg vise and I'm constantly shuffling things on and off that end of the bench.

Another thread in the Neander group has post about Paul Seller's bench. I looked at that and wondered how he does anything with just that one vise there, so one vise well laid out can apparently do the job. Think quite a bit about the work you want to do and how to best utilize the entire area of the bench.

Think about what you go back and forth between quite a bit on the bench and try to come up with solutions that let you have the bench configured for both operations at the same time.

A bench dog hole and a Gramercy hold down is way cheaper than a good vise, but may be able to perform some of the same tasks, and they can be moved around quite a bit. Right now I need a vise to use my planing stop, a couple of built in planing stops and a wagon vise at the other end could really improve my work flow.

Carl Beckett
03-10-2012, 7:52 AM
Hi Harold.

Since it sounds like you are early on the journey to learning just what you like to do, I would recommend a basic metal vice like the Jorgensen (model 40709 or any brand like this - with quick release).

Very straight forward, you can simply bolt it onto your bench, and be up and going in no time. Then plan on building another bench in a few years, with all the features you want based on the work you actually do.

Essentially this is what I did - but that original bench and vice still gets used and is a workhorse for me. (in fact, I have another table I might add one of these to - its great to have vices bolted around the shop in different locations since I dont tend to do all my work at a single station)

Bryan Schwerer
03-12-2012, 3:25 PM
Hi Harold.

Since it sounds like you are early on the journey to learning just what you like to do, I would recommend a basic metal vice like the Jorgensen (model 40709 or any brand like this - with quick release).

Very straight forward, you can simply bolt it onto your bench, and be up and going in no time. Then plan on building another bench in a few years, with all the features you want based on the work you actually do.

Essentially this is what I did - but that original bench and vice still gets used and is a workhorse for me. (in fact, I have another table I might add one of these to - its great to have vices bolted around the shop in different locations since I dont tend to do all my work at a single station)
This answer pretty much aligns with my experiences, except I went through a horrible harbor fright vise before doing the right thing.

Harold Burrell
03-12-2012, 3:29 PM
Hi Harold.

To be quite honest with you, I am a little afraid of "quick release". I've read too many reports of them eventually messing up and failing. Is this only true with the cheapies?

Justin Green
03-12-2012, 5:29 PM
This answer pretty much aligns with my experiences, except I went through a horrible harbor fright vise before doing the right thing.

Yep. Stay away from the HF vise. It looks nice, but mine broke after very minimal use.

Carl Beckett
03-12-2012, 7:12 PM
To be quite honest with you, I am a little afraid of "quick release". I've read too many reports of them eventually messing up and failing. Is this only true with the cheapies?

I haven't had any problems with the quick release designs ( but haven't tried the harbor freight versions )

Scott M Perry
03-12-2012, 7:40 PM
'Nother vote for a leg vise:226958Stronger'n sin, fairly simple to make. Your style of working has a lot to do with it, but I love mine.

Quesne Ouaques
03-12-2012, 10:54 PM
FWIW - I absolutely love my Veritas Twin Screw and Taiwanese Emmert clone (patternmaker's) vises. With the combination of the two, I do not run into many challenging situations.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r125/quesne/Woodshop%20Equipment%20and%20Tools/PatternmakersVise.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r125/quesne/Woodshop%20Equipment%20and%20Tools/TableLongView1.jpg

Brad Gobble
03-13-2012, 4:05 PM
I literally LOL'd at this one ... having just purchased my first LN planes!!

"There be madness here my boy! Run for yer very life lest you lose your soul in these depths!"

Ohhhh nooo, he is sliding down the same slippery slope I did. I think many people on this forum started that way. This from the guy who just spent most of the day cutting up construction lumber with a nasty old 12" electric miter saw and stand, and breaking up sheet goods for a floor with my trusty Festool plunge saw.

I kept threatening to go get my nest of hand saws, but my builder buddy kept talking me out of it ;-)