PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw Love Hate

Prashun Patel
03-08-2012, 9:36 AM
I've been unsuccessfully trying to sell my G0555 for a while. So I'm now looking at trying to make the marriage work.

I use mine mainly for cutting green wood blanks and occasional resawing. My main criticism is the guides.

The thumb screw that locks the thrust and guide bearings works itself loose, and the bearings just get gunky and seize and are loud. I hate them.

I can't see myself spending $200 for the Carter guides, though.

I've heard that Cool blocks are good - but blocks are mainly for thinner blades, right?

What can I do to improve the bearings for < $100?

Allan Ferguson
03-08-2012, 9:50 AM
Go for the Carter guides. I used to use ceramic guides but the thumb screw did not hold them very well, other wise the ceramics were very good.

Neil Brooks
03-08-2012, 9:54 AM
Changing to blocks would mean working with Grizzly, to get the right parts, no ?

How much money DO you want to put into a saw that you're basically unhappy with, and trying to sell ?

I might suggest a drop of blue (NOT red) Loctite on the threads of your thumbscrews, to see if that saves you some gray hair/hair loss, while you try to decide if this IS or ISN't the LOYL ;) If you're still on the "fence," you can buy sealed (vs. shielded) bearings.

I did upgrade the bits, on my G0555X, by the way, and find it MUCH better for resaw, than stock. Lemme' know if you need any specifics on that.

Prashun Patel
03-08-2012, 9:58 AM
Yes, please, Neal. I believe you've pub'd in past threads, but if you can re-tell it'd be great.

If I can't sell it, I have to make it work.

Neil Brooks
03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
What I posted ... uh ... elsewhere ;)

For the replacement parts, start here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1538698&postcount=1

Short version:

Quantity Item Number Description Price (each)

4 PTS002 Thumbscrew $1.00

2 P1019Z071 Guideblock Holder $5.25

4 P1012008 Guideblocks $1.00

You have to order the parts on THIS page (impossible to find !):

http://www.grizzly.com/multiitem.aspx

To jump ahead, one step, I also just ordered the actual Olson Cool Blocks to fit the Grizzly parts:

Part #: CB50055

About $14, through Amazon’s reseller.

According to my micrometer measurements, AND the Olson website, that part should be a dead-on match.

As to how much milling is required: [EDIT: I don't actually remember if this pertains to the replacement Grizzly blocks, the Cool Blocks, or both !]

Here’s what my micrometer said:
OEM: .589” high; .316” thick

Replacement: .601” high; .365” thick

You can flat file, but it takes a while. I used my bench grinder. You might want to grind 95% of it off, and then flat file until you get the fit. That way, you have a nice flat surface for the set thumbscrew to push against !

Lemme’ know if you need anything else. Good luck !!

Neil Brooks
03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
As to how much milling is required: [EDIT: I don't actually remember if this pertains to the replacement Grizzly blocks, the Cool Blocks, or both !]

The milling required is NOT for the blocks; it's for the HOLDERS, meaning ... whether you buy the Grizzly replacement blocks OR the Cool Blocks, you're going to have to mill the holders down a bit, to get them to fit.

At least I, and a few others, had to. May want to speak with Grizzly about this. Maybe they've since made an exact match part ???

Van Huskey
03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Just for reference blocks also work fine for larger blades, though it would be nice to have bigger blocks than come on 14" saws. I would however exhaust all options with the bearings before switching since you are not married to the saw.