PDA

View Full Version : CPO Bosch Factory-Reconditioned tools

Tony Falotico
03-23-2005, 7:56 PM
Anyone have any experience with Factory-Recons? The Webb site http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditioned/ says they are an authorized dealer of the Robert Bosch Tool Corporation. The prices seem pretty good. They carry the same warranty as new. Any pitfalls here??

John Hart
03-23-2005, 8:39 PM
I bought a Makita Chainsaw that was factory reconditioned. It was a rental at a Home Depot and I got it half price. It is an excellent tool. You're looking at power tools though which is a pretty different animal. As an electrical engineer, I can tell you that as long as the factory replaces the bearings, brushes(if any), and other wearable motor parts, it'll probably last a good long time. If I'm not mistaken, you can request the specifications that they are required to meet, and you should be able to compare that to the new specifications and get a pretty good idea before you spend a dime. Chances are, you're looking at a pretty good deal.

You got my interest!
~john

Dino Makropoulos
03-23-2005, 8:58 PM
Any pitfalls here??

Nop.We have a factory store in NJ I buy saws and routers for 'friends'.
90% is just open boxes/returns. the other 10% you can't tell if they're new used or recon. And they come with full guarantee.
Go for it. :cool:

Al Lupone
03-23-2005, 10:38 PM
I purchased the recon 4000 saw for what I thought was a good price. When I got it, it appeared to be brand new. Had it for about a month & was squaring everything up. Ended up stripping the raising gear as I could not adjust it as the screws securing it were put on by Gov Arnold.Brought it to the local dealer who sent it out to the service center. Had it back within a week. Warrantee covered with no ???'s.

After saying all that: in retrospect I would have been better off buying it on sale at Amazon. Free shipping & usually comes with all the xtras. Bought my 1617 VS kit in the Amazon xmas orgy for $152. That was with all the xtras. That was a much better deal than the factory recons.
Al

David Fried
03-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Years ago when I worked in a factory, reconditioning was busy work when things slowed down. We wanted to look busy so we took our time and did a good job.

I bought a factory reconditioned Delta band saw. It looks and run like new.

Good Luck!

Steve Cox
03-24-2005, 1:14 AM
I have a Bosch drill motor, random orbit sander, belt sander, and SCMS all reconditioned. All have performed as if they were new. I would highly recommend reconditioned tools, they are a great buy.

John Foote
03-24-2005, 2:55 AM
I bought a 1619evs router and a 1274dvs belt sander from CPO. They were both like new. Their prices are good, not great, but if the tools and warranty are like new, what the heck? Every little bit helps...

Jeff Sudmeier
03-24-2005, 7:34 AM
I would not be afraid of factory reconditioned tools. However, I would do a little bit of checking around. Give bosch a call and find out about this place. If they are as big as they say they are, Bosch will know about them. If they are cheats Bosch will also know.