PDA

View Full Version : Steel Drivin' Man

Jared McMahon
03-08-2012, 12:21 AM
There's no question posed in this post, no rant about a tool or company, no request, just a picture of me and a freshly-sharpened 5/8" Brades mortise chisel versus a big hunk of 8/4 eastern white ash that will soon be the chop for a retrofit leg vise.

Man that stuff is feisty. Good thing the Brades is just as feisty.

Chris Vandiver
03-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Love the photo. Looks like lots of fun.

Curt Putnam
03-08-2012, 1:35 AM
You ought to print that, frame it and hang it.

Jim Koepke
03-08-2012, 2:00 AM
Nice chisel. I have been working some ash myself. I think it is from out here in the west. It is hard but a plane can make it shine.

I cut a smaller mortise in a much smaller piece yesterday. That is what the big mallet is for.

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
03-08-2012, 2:23 PM
Nice chisel Jared but you said the pic was of you and the chisel. Are you a mallet or are you invisible?:D

Jared McMahon
03-08-2012, 2:37 PM
Nice chisel Jared but you said the pic was of you and the chisel. Are you a mallet or are you invisible?:D

I'm in the photo, it's just that I look amazingly similar to a Tite-Marks gauge...

I wasn't sure how to word it without sounding really clumsy or making it seem like the chisel was gnawing its way through the wood all on its own. Frankly I had no idea what I would use the thing for, I got it because I was ordering a 1/4" mortise chisel from the same vendor and I have a thing for English-style mortise chisels. Then when it came to chopping out a mortise for the parallel guide, I thought "Hold on, I have just the thing!"