PDA

View Full Version : My split-top finished

Paul Saffold
03-07-2012, 10:55 PM
It’s finished. Well, except for gluing the leather on the vises and a coat of oil (blo:varnish:ms) on the shelf. That will have to wait for warmer weather when I can have windows open. Apparently not everyone appreciates essence of blo. I will add holes for the Grammercy holdfast as needed.

For inspiration I used a combination of Schwarz’s Workbenches (1st book), Bob Lang’s article about his split-top bench in Pop. WW magazine, Benchcrafted web-site info, and what I learned watching the many other bench builds here on the creek.

Some numbers.
94” long,
26.5” wide with 2” center pull-outs/stops, 4, each about 2 ft. long
34” high
2&7/8” thick :mad:

364 lb. I weighed each sub-assembly as it went together and was surprised the weight was so high, since most of the top is Douglas Fir.

The legs are a bit over 5x5”. The legs and upper and lower end stretchers are glued and pegged (3/8”WO). The legs have a tendon 1.5” into the top.

The shelf boards are 1 & 3/8” SYP shiplapped with a 778.

The bench is not against a wall so I went with a little extra width.

Top: DF from 4x4 post, with white oak for the dog strip
Legs & stretchers & shelf: SYP
Leg vise: screw from Lee Valley & WO chop
End vise: Record 52ED (9”) w/ red oak chops
Deadman: DF
Benchcrafted barrel nuts & bolts for the long stretchers.

Overall I’m very very happy with it. It’s so much nicer chopping mortises on a decent bench. No bounce! I was even using the tops when they were upside down on my old workbench.

The center pull-outs (don’t know what else to call them) are notched so they are flush with the 2 top halves. When flipped over they are about 3/8” proud for planning stops and can be left out for clamping. I made 4 of them, each about 2 ft. long. I wanted more options than having just one the length of the bench. They are supported by oak 1” (full) X1” that are screwed only to one half of the top so moisture generated movement won’t be a problem.

I didn’t want to rout a groove to house the top of the deadman. Instead I attached angle iron (1.5” x 1/8”) to the underside of the top. This meant the that deadman wouldn’t be usable the full length of the stretcher. You lose whatever the width of the deadman is. 8” here. On the back of the deadman I attached oak with a groove that straddles the angle iron. I cut out a small notch, about ½”, out of the back of the oak to act as a stop so the deadman registers against the iron. Hope that makes sense.
For those who may want to add a deadman to an existing bench I think this would be an easier approach than taking the top off and routing the groove. Not even an option if your bench top is glued on.

If there is a next time:
Be much more careful when selecting stock. But I was impatient to get started. And I swear some of those DF 4x4s looked a lot better in the store than they did after I got home with them.
I did a poor job of milling the lumber. I’m sure more experience will help. I was hoping for a thicker top.
I did a lousy job boring the holes for the knock-down stretchers. I tried Bob’s ring trick on the bit, too. But in the end it went together.
It just seemed like I spent too much time on what should have been a straightforward process.
Instead of running around after skateboard wheels and bearings and hardware, I’d order the “Benchcrafted Roller Bracket Hardware”. I didn’t save enough to make much of a difference and they are a great USA company.

Thanks for looking.

Paul Saffold
03-07-2012, 10:58 PM
More.

Thanks for looking, Paul

Randy Clements
03-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Very cool workbench. I love the thought you put into it. I just finished a bench as well, and while I could have done a couple things differently/better, I see it for what it is -- a surface to do work on. I've already gouged it with a saw for the first time (oops). That top will certainly wear many more scars over the years.

Leigh Betsch
03-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Good looking bench. Looks like the craftsmanship is excellent!

Brent VanFossen
03-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Very nice. You can be very proud of that, and I'm sure it will be a real pleasure to use.

Brandon Craig
03-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Sweet Roubo! I recently completed one and can appreciate how much work you put into it. I really love the design you put on the parallel guide. Enjoy!

Curt Putnam
03-08-2012, 1:34 AM
Very, very NICE! I pretty desperately need a new bench so I've been doing my research. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need a split top. I see that you rejected the tool tray in the center idea. It's something that I am considering. Interesting approach to the deadman. I hope you will report back after you've worked a project or so on it. Thanks for sharing.

Joey Chavez
03-08-2012, 9:58 AM
Great idea on making smaller center pull outs. I am starting my split top Roubo this month and although I like the versatility of that center pull out I did envision having to pull out any tools I was storing just to flip it over to use as a stop. Your idea alleviates that significantly.

Karl Andersson
03-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Great job on the bench, well thought-out and nicely made. I can certainly sympathize with you on the frustrations - you have to be glad you can relax and just work wood now.

I was similarly dismayed at how quickly the DF 4x4 thickness disappeared through the squaring and flattening stages - so I left the underside of the bench top timbers untouched except for two flattened channels for the leg trestles to contact. That saved about 3/8 of an inch on most of the 4x4s, but I'm sill at 3 1/4" average thickness. I don't think you could have saved much more using the HD-quality 4x4s with top and underside flat, so pat yourslf on the back.

If you want that extra bit of deadman travel on the right side of your bench, maybe you can screw on a short removeable piece of track to cover the gap? It's not like you'll be taking the deadman off on a regular basis, but you just may be jointing some longer boards.

Joe Fabbri
03-08-2012, 1:27 PM
Paul, that bench looks great. There's a lot of detailed work in there.

Regarding the bench thickness, I'm sure it's fine, and I bet it feels plenty sturdy. I have a feeling that for home workshops, the 4-5" Roubo's we see out there are on the excessive side. Sure, they're nice to have if you can get it, but probably a bit overkill (especially over 4"). I think the dimensions that Roubo specified are probably lost a bit on our benches. When Roubo specified the bench to be between six and twelve feet long (I think that's what he said) with a 5-6" plank top, his benches would have been on the longer side, probably at least 10 feet. I can't image a large joiners shop in the business of planing moldings, etc, not having very long benches. With the length of these benches and the constant heavy use, a very thick top would no doubt be necessary.

There's also an article by Chris Schwarz about an old Roubo bench that he and Robin Lee found in an antique shop somewhere in Canada. It was, I think, 8 1/2' long, with canted back legs, but it had, if I remember correctly, a 2 3/8" thick pine top, and it looked well used. And Schwarz said in the article that it felt quite sturdy.

The planks I plan on using for my bench are around 3-1/2 to 3-3/4" thick. After drying, I hope to get around 3" too, maybe a bit more if I'm lucky.

Anyway, the bench looks great, thanks for sharing it.

Joe

Tom Vanzant
03-08-2012, 1:33 PM
Paul,
Will you be sharing pics and info on the Moxon vise on the shelf?

Paul Saffold
03-08-2012, 7:54 PM
Thank all of you for the positive comments. Yes, it was a big job and I'm glad to be finished, but it was fun.

Tom, I posted about the bench- on-bench (bob) here
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169530-Bob-s-wearing-garters!-and-leather!!

Karl, that is a possibility but I was thinking if I needed to, I would drill a hole in the far leg for a holdfast. That is only a 8" gap. Less actually because I can probably use the deadman with it partially on the angle iron. I'll cross that stream when I get to it, if ever.

Paul

John Petsche
02-23-2013, 9:30 PM
great bench

Ron Bontz
02-23-2013, 9:41 PM
two words. I'm jealous.:)

Steve Voigt
02-24-2013, 9:11 AM
The bench looks great! All that vertical grain in the top is just gorgeous. I used to live in CA and miss being able to use that stuff.
I'm glad to hear you built your leg vise from scratch--I'm doing the same right now. Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks--you can spend it on another tool! :)

-Steve

Terry Beadle
02-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Now that's a super bench ! I haven't seen a "You suck!" yet, so consider it issued...hoot!

I was wondering about the single row of bench dog holes. Also, in the picture the Record's center dog has been removed. And... there's no hole on the right side of the clamping block.
So I was wondering :

What happened to the center dog?
And are you going to bore a dog hole on the right side and make a slide-able clamping block to allow wider panels a four corner clamp? Maybe the single dog holes are enough clamping pressure but I've found that when first doing a cross grain scrub process on roughing stock in, the four corner clamping approach is the strongest.

Your Thoughts ?

That is a well made, well thought out, and prem-o bench ! What a pleasure it must be to work on. Well done.

Paul Saffold
02-24-2013, 8:52 PM
I am pleasantly surprised to see this thread come back from the dead. Thanks for the positive comments. It has been a real pleasure to work on. It does not move. My worries about the top not being thick enough were for nothing. I like the DF top enough that I just made a benchtop for an old Sears tube lathe using DF 4x4 again.

I have been very pleased with the center pullouts. They are very handy as a side planing stop when combined with a cross batten anchored in the dog holes.

I haven't added any holdfast holes but need to. Still working on where to place them. I like having the holes close to the front edge. Another good recommendation from Chris Schwarz. Terry, I took the dog out of the vice thinking I wasn't going to be using it. I haven't used it but it is back in just to keep the shavings out. The inner chop on the Record vice has loosened. I have tightened it once but it needs to be done again. The vice has to be off the bench for the screws to be tightened. It's not that much of a job, just one that is easy to put off. Moving the pin on the leg vice is not an issue at all. If I get so decrepit to do that I won't being doing anything but watching the vultures get closer and closer....

Anyone considering making a bench should go for it. It is a great learning experience and results in one of the most important tools in the shop.
Paul

Michael Peet
02-24-2013, 9:12 PM
Great job, Paul. I'm sure you'll enjoy your bench for many years to come.

Cheers,

Mike