PDA

View Full Version : Mantel Clocks

John Hart
03-23-2005, 7:56 PM
Hi Everyone,

Since I'm new here, I don't really know where to start....So many questions. My first is in Mantel Clock designs. I'm looking for new ideas if anyone has any. I make a lot of different clocks, from miniatures like this Ebony and Ivory Clock below, up to the full sized clocks, all my design so far. But I guess what I'm looking for is an idea for an attractive shape and an idea on sizes that people prefer. This one is basically for the desk, but since I spend so much time by myself, I don't know what people want. Any insights or ideas would be most welcome.

Bruce Page
03-23-2005, 8:42 PM
Hello John, welcome to SMC, there are a lot of talented & smart people here. I love clocks but have only built a couple of them. One wasn’t worthy of pictures and one that I made out of Koa & brass for my sister.

Richard Wolf
03-23-2005, 8:46 PM
Welcome John, your clock looks great. I have always found reproduction clocks rewarding and inspirering projects. There are plans on the internet for many antique clocks that can be build. The only down side to clock building is you really should have all your hardware on hand before you start. Good luck.

Richard

John Hart
03-23-2005, 8:53 PM
Bruce...I really like the top of your clock...And Koa is my favorite wood...expensive though. So, on the top, did you build layers? That would be cool with multiple wood types too. Nice

~john

Corey Hallagan
03-23-2005, 9:16 PM
Hi John and welcome to the site. That is a great looking clock! Beautiful finish. I enjoy making clocks as well. Here is one of my mantle clocks. Just a a pine clock with a tungoil finish. I wanted to make it look like an old clock, not sure I suceeded there but the wife loves it. Has a pretty Westminster chime in it.

Corey

http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Clock1.JPG

Corey Hallagan
03-23-2005, 9:19 PM
Bruce, that is a sweet looking clock. Beautiful wood!

Corey

John Hart
03-23-2005, 9:29 PM
Corey,

You succeeded alright. I've been trying to hone my "Old Looking" skills without beating up the wood....One thing that works for me is I mix a little red mahogany with a little walnut and lay the stain in the corners and on the edges and let it sit for about 5 minutes...then I wash pecan all over and rub a good blend...I'll dab in some dark spots here and there and it works pretty good...Yours looks pretty good...My wife just told me to make one like yours. (she wants clocks all over the house)
Thanks
~john

Corey Hallagan
03-23-2005, 9:38 PM
Thanks John! I appreciate that. I am fairly new here as well, haven't shown much of my work at all. I have made many miniatures of larger clocks. Don't have any of those to show, I always make and give them as gifts. My next clock I want to make is some kind of a miniature based on a grandfather clock. Again, great stuff John!
Corey

Bruce Page
03-23-2005, 9:56 PM
Bruce...I really like the top of your clock...And Koa is my favorite wood...expensive though. So, on the top, did you build layers? That would be cool with multiple wood types too. Nice

~johnJohn, the Koa was given to me in log form by a very nice gentleman when my wife & I were in Hawaii on vacation. The log was green & heavy & expensive to ship to NM but the wood that came out of it was exquisite. That was my first (and last, :( ) time working with Koa. As you guessed, I did the top in layers.

Corey, thanks for the compliment. Your pine mantel clock is very nice too!

John Hart
03-23-2005, 10:03 PM
I lived in Hawaii for 4 years, and while I was there, I helped in the restoration of a mansion. The millionaire who owned it, had all the floors, stairs, and cabinetry done in koa. At the end of the job, there was a pile of scraps 6 feet high and 10 feet in diameter... I filled my trunk and had a ball. Wish I still had some.

lou sansone
03-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Dear John

I think the short answer is the bracket clocks of the 17th and 18th century look real nice to me. The biggest problem is trying to get works for them. There are not really any authentic sources for those works to my knowlege.

the two best books that contain designs and pictures of those clocks are

The georgian Bracket Clock by Richard Barder
English Domestic Clocks by Cescinsky and Webster

If you can purchase those clock books you will have a wealth of informaton.

or you can go to this site for lots of pictures of bracket clocks

http://www.raffetyantiqueclocks.com/categoryresults.asp?clocktype=Bracket

enjoy

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
John here are a couple of clocks I built. I don't use plans I just design as I go. I don't use quartz or battery movements much since I own and operate a part time clock repair shop. I use a lot of mechanical movements. I am going to build a old black mantle clock with the shellac type paint that they used back then. Only problem is I will probably end up using some type of black spray paint. You can get plans for building clocks out of a company called Klockkit. I haven't tried any of their plans yet but I am looking at a couple of them. I have a grandfather clock about 2/3 done but with my day job and repairing clocks at night I don't get the time to work on it like I would like to. Anyway welcome.

Bruce that is a nice looking clock.

Bernie

John Hart
03-24-2005, 6:40 AM
Your clocks are fantastic Bernie! Tell me, in your part time clock shop, do you sell the works as well? I'm afraid that I don't have the resources to get old clockworks but I'm dying to do one. I know the black shellac that you are talking about. They also did alot of inlay with those black clocks. I bet pool ball companies have a good paint.

Thanks

Ken Salisbury
03-24-2005, 6:49 AM
A few I have made in the past:
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/clks.jpg http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/Clocks.jpg http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/Tambour.jpg
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/clock.jpg

John Hart
03-24-2005, 7:00 AM
Oh...I definitely have to steal some of your ideas Ken! I never thought of octagon....and I like the curves of your mantel clock there. On the others, where did you get the decorative glass for the bottom? I need to integrate something like that as well.

Thanks....you do great work...I hope I get that good

Corey Hallagan
03-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Great looking clocks Bernie and Ken! I have really gotten some great ideas and seen some beautiful clocks with this thread. Thanks John!

John, you know of any good books on clock building, plans etc. ? I have one that i got from one of the book clubs. Interested in others.

Thanks,
Corey

John Hart
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Corey....Now there's an interesting thing. With all the books I've gotten over the years, I have never looked at a clock-making book of any kind. I think it's ingrained in me that if I look at a book, then my "original thinking" will be contaminated. I know...stupid thought. But that's why I'd have to say no...I don't know of any. But I bet there's a whole herd of people in this forum that do!
This forum is phenomenal.

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2005, 1:06 PM
John I do have some in my shop but they are mostly parts movements for my repairs. I buy a lot of my movements off ebay. On occasion I will go to antique sales and get some movements or at the marts of the AWCI (American Watch & Clock Institute) or NAWCC (National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors. You can pick movements up there. The antique movements that are back mounted I use for wall clocks and the front mounted I use for mantle clocks. I usually pick up 3 to 4 at a time. The mantle clock in the picture I used a movement from Black Forest Imports out of California. It chimes the quarter hours and on the hour it strikes the hours. It is a Westminister chime. The next on I build is going to be a triple chime. It will chime 3 different tunes. The Banjo clock in the picture I used what I call a German time & strike. It just strikes once on the half hour and then strikes the hour. I also made the brass decrative sides with a milling machine also. I sold that clock for $425. It was white oak stained walnut. I have some plans in my head to make octagon wall clock like the old school house or railroad clocks. Both the short and the long drops. Anyway I just do what I can when I can. I will retire in 4 yrs. and hope I can really go to town.

Bernie

Corey Hallagan
03-24-2005, 4:09 PM
Thanks John. I should clarify.... I am not really talking a "how to make a clock" book, more like what I have. The one I have (the name and author escapes me) is more of a history of clocks and has a photo of each clock and a little history of the clocks, some tidbits on the construction and then a few small drawings ( not really plans) that can be put to use. The clock I posted was based on one of the clocks shown in the book.

Bernie, my uncle Clyde lives in Goodland . He was involved with the JC Penny's chain and since retired from JC Penny's. Nice town!

Corey

John Hart
03-24-2005, 5:49 PM
Wow! You guys gotta see!!

Thanks Bernie...I went to the NAWCC website and they have a Virtual Museum where they have beautiful pictures of beautiful clocks from every era. http://www.nawcc.org/museum/museum.htm

Corey..You oughta get a kick out of this....It's the book you're looking for, only there's no paper.

I am going to spend days at that site. This is great.

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2005, 12:07 AM
John, I hope you enjoy it. I have been a member of both for 20 + yrs. now. I think you can get a lot of idea's from there. I really don't go by plans per say. I get a idea in my head for a clock or I look at a old clock to get a idea of how it is built and then build it.

Corey, I know your Uncle Clyde well. Have known him for many years. I have been in Goodland since 1972.

Enjoy gentleman.

Bernie

Alan Turner
03-25-2005, 4:08 AM
Here is a link to an e-interview of Rob Millard concerning a clock project of some magnitude.
http://www.sapfm.org/e_millard/e_millard.asp
This is one that is not for the faint of heart! Rob is newer member here, and has always been willing to answer questions, so if you have any, you might ping him.

BTW, nice clocks, guys.

John Hart
03-25-2005, 6:40 AM
Geez...not for the faint of heart is right! Thanks Alan. That clock is astounding...Lot of good ideas in it...
Thanks again

Corey Hallagan
03-25-2005, 9:30 AM
Wow, that is a very cool site. Thanks Bernie!

Corey