PDA

View Full Version : band saw question

david paul miller
03-07-2012, 10:01 PM
I ordered a 3/4" carbide blade for my 19" grizzly 514x2 bs, but was shipped a 1- 1/4" by mistake , the company said I could try it, this blade pulsates in a front to back motion, (and is exaggerated at faster than normal feed rate.) no matter my adjustments, the weld looks good and the blade runs smooth and quiet before pushing wood through it . I have never had this problem with 3/4" blades before. any body with ideas whats causing this? or should I just get them to ship the 3/4". My manual says it can handle an 1-1/4" blade.
"

David Kumm
03-08-2012, 12:16 AM
If it is a Lennox carbide your saw will not handle it because the band at .04 is too thick to tension. The Resaw King has a .024" thick band so it might work. If the spring isn't compressed I would give it another turn if it is the Resaw King. If Lennox send it back. Dave

Van Huskey
03-08-2012, 7:22 AM
Even a 1 1/4" carbon band is really pushing the limits of that saw. A carbide tipped blades needs about 60% more tension than a carbon band to operate properly. If it is a Lenox Trimaster forget it! As Dave is suggesting at .042 gauge it is far too much blade. The Laguna RK is a much thinner blade and a 1" would probbaly be fine but I think again you are really pushing that saw with a 1 1/4" RK.

I think the simple answer is send it back, it is pushing the saw too much and you will probably continue to have issues. No sense in trying to diagnose the issue and try to fix it when you are better off all the way around with a properly sized blade.