PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1624 Toolrest handle tweak

Steve Harder
03-07-2012, 5:53 PM
I made some new handles for my toolrest. The toolrest has always reliably gripped the bed, but seemed like I was always bumping my hand when loosening the toolrest receiver screw.

I had some alum tube left over from tool handles project so just turned some knobs and a larger handle. The shaft is a 3/8" bolt - cut off to length and then threaded. Ground the end of the bolt into receiver to get handle to lay flat.

Like the ease of use, now it's nicely tight but easily loosened.

Scott Hackler
03-07-2012, 7:04 PM
If you are using a Nova 1624, what is the homemade controls in the right side of the photo? Did you rig up a VFD to your Nova?

Oh and nice handles. :)

Steve Harder
03-07-2012, 7:24 PM
Yes, converted 1624 to VFD - I have an online article at http://www.woodturnersresource.com/extras/projects/1624_vs/index.html

Scott Hackler
03-07-2012, 8:01 PM
I just read your article. Very interesting. I really want variable speed and a remote box, but don't know if I want to drop $500 on this lathe or save it towards a bigger lathe.

Steve Harder
03-07-2012, 9:03 PM
Not that I'll ever do it - but I've dreamed of the CraftSupplies motor-less VicMarc. I put original back on 1624,sell it and take vfd and motor forward. But that's quite a bit of dreaming on my part. My shop is small so I've got to stay with a small footprint lathe. And every time I finish turn and sand out a big bowl I remind myself of all the work in big pieces. For now I'm very happy with the VFD 1624.