PDA

View Full Version : Death of an orbital Sander

carl zietz
03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
My long time companion, a dewalt 5 inch hook & loop,variable speed dander has gone on to the great shop in the sky. Any input from our distinguished group as to it's replacement? I went to my local hardware store and all they had was a single speed dewalt, it seemed to high, and the balance was wrong. I do require 5 round inch with 8 hole pattern, and other than that am flexible. I am in the arena of reasonalbly serious amatuer.

Jet left tilt xacta say
jet 16 inch band saw
Powermatic 6X48 sander
jet 15 inch HH planer
dewalt sliding miter
etc

thanks for the help

Carl

John Coloccia
03-07-2012, 11:39 AM
The only sanders I hear no complaints about are the Festools. Funny that we were just talking about this the other day at work. We have people that used to buy a few sanders a year for their cabinet shop, and a couple of years back suddenly started going through a few sanders every couple of months. Since switching to Festools, they've haven't worn anything out yet.

All my Porter Cable sanders were all made in the USA and just keep on trucking. I think they moved everything overseas a couple of years ago, and I've heard of constant problems. I'm not sure about Dewalt but I'm always suspect of a company that's willing to make cheap products, even if they do slap someone else's name on it.

edit: Woops....forgot about the Mirka Ceros. That's the other top notch sander. They make the Festools look like a bargain, but they are NICE.

Prashun Patel
03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
The Festool is purported to be the Cadillac of the sanders, however, a recent challenger in this space is the Mirka Ceros. I have one, and it's in a different league from the budget sanders. It is lighter, sands smoother, is less fatiguing, and has superior dust collection to - I'd venture to say - any of the ROS's in the sub $120. I can sand indoors with a shop vac with no dust in the shop.

That being said, I've owned a Bosch ROS20vsk (reconditioned) for a couple years. It's a great little sander too. For the reconditioned price of $60, I couldn't ask anything more of it.

Matt Meiser
03-07-2012, 11:52 AM
After about 5 years I did wear out the Velcro on my ETS150/3. $30 or so for a replacement and took nearly 5 minutes to replace. Actually it wasn't completely worn out yet but getting close enough that I picked a replacement up when it was convenient. I save the old one just in case I tear one up on a nail or something.

Todd Davidson
03-07-2012, 11:53 AM
If you're not feeling bound to a 5" ROS I would purchase one of the Metabo made Ridgid 6" sanders. You can get a refurbished unit on eBay for less than a new 5" run-of-the-mill ROS (DeWalt, Makita, PC, etc). I have a couple of them. Purchased one new from HD years ago. When one of my 5" PC's died I bought a 2nd Ridgid (a refurb from eBay). The dust collection (not on par with festool of course) is better than any other ROS I've used over the last 25 years.

John Coloccia
03-07-2012, 11:55 AM
The Festool is purported to be the Cadillac of the sanders, however, a recent challenger in this space is the Mirka Ceros. I have one, and it's in a different league from the budget sanders. It is lighter, sands smoother, is less fatiguing, and has superior dust collection to - I'd venture to say - any of the ROS's in the sub $120. I can sand indoors with a shop vac with no dust in the shop.

That being said, I've owned a Bosch ROS20vsk (reconditioned) for a couple years. It's a great little sander too. For the reconditioned price of $60, I couldn't ask anything more of it.

Glad to hear you like your Ceros. I'm trying to get my hands on a 5" demo unit. I think I may just pick one up.

Van Huskey
03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
What is your budget, until you lay out a hard budget you will get plenty of Ceros and Festool answers...

Greg Portland
03-07-2012, 1:11 PM
Are air-powered sanders an option for you? Dynabrade makes excellent products that are considered as good if not better than Festool. A big advantage of the air sanders is that they aren't as heavy as electrics (so less user fatigue).

Thomas Hotchkin
03-07-2012, 1:34 PM
Are air-powered sanders an option for you? Dynabrade makes excellent products that are considered as good if not better than Festool. A big advantage of the air sanders is that they aren't as heavy as electrics (so less user fatigue).

1+ what Greg said.
At work we have about 30 Dynabrade, that operate for 48 hour straight during start of a paint shoot. Use to have 3M air-powered sanders but they didn't hold up as well in the long run. Tom

Van Huskey
03-07-2012, 2:14 PM
Air powered is great but you have to have a heck of a compressor!

Mark Ashmeade
03-07-2012, 2:43 PM
If you're not feeling bound to a 5" ROS I would purchase one of the Metabo made Ridgid 6" sanders. You can get a refurbished unit on eBay for less than a new 5" run-of-the-mill ROS (DeWalt, Makita, PC, etc). I have a couple of them. Purchased one new from HD years ago. When one of my 5" PC's died I bought a 2nd Ridgid (a refurb from eBay). The dust collection (not on par with festool of course) is better than any other ROS I've used over the last 25 years.

The newer ones aren't made in Germany anymore. I have one, it's a good sander, but apt to turn a nice piece of plywood into a piece of veneerless scrap if you're not careful. I get the wife to do the sanding with it and blame her. I stick to a 1/4 sheet cheapie and haven't gone wrong with it yet.

Stan Mitchell
03-07-2012, 2:47 PM
On the affordable side there's the Bosch ROS20VSK - less than $80 on amazon, shipped.

I've been using one for several years and it's a very decent sander. Not perfect, but not in the $300-$500 range either.

Andrew Joiner
03-07-2012, 2:49 PM
I had a USA made Porter Cable 333 that wore out after light hobby use. I had it 5 years and I used it maybe 50 hours total.

I now have a Milwaukee 6021-21 with 30 hours on it. Good sander at a great price. I tested the 5''Festool and it didn't do any better job at sanding than the Milwaukee. In fact the Festool was slower.

Van Huskey
03-07-2012, 2:54 PM
I had a USA made Porter Cable 333 that wore out after light hobby use. I had it 5 years and I used it maybe 50 hours total.

I now have a Milwaukee 6021-21 with 30 hours on it. Good sander at a great price. I tested the 5''Festool and it didn't do any better job at sanding than the Milwaukee. In fact the Festool was slower.

The 5" Festool is designed to be a finish sander for faster stock removal the 150/5 or the Rotex is the choice.

Van Huskey
03-07-2012, 2:55 PM
Glad to hear you like your Ceros. I'm trying to get my hands on a 5" demo unit. I think I may just pick one up.

Given they are the same price (I think) why not the 6", then again guitars may be my answer to that question.

Greg Portland
03-07-2012, 3:00 PM
The 5" Festool is designed to be a finish sander for faster stock removal the 150/5 or the Rotex is the choice.
I have the "slow" ETS 150/3 and it removes stock quickly with appropriate abrasive choices (comparing it to my old Bosch or PC sanders). The 150/5, Rotex, and rotary options are VERY fast.

Brent VanFossen
03-07-2012, 3:10 PM
Woops....forgot about the Mirka Ceros.

That Mirka is *sweet*, though I haven't plunked down the money yet.

Carl Beckett
03-07-2012, 3:16 PM
I have had a Bosch 3727 Model for maybe ... 18 years now?? A workhorse, and if attached to a vacuum does a pretty decent job with dust as well (holes through the pad).

Those units that have a shroud surrounding the pad would seem like a better dust collection design, but I dont have direct experience (or if that type would prevent getting into corners)

I find electric to be very convenient. No driers, dont have to drag the compressor around, can take it to different rooms in the house, or to a job site or loan it out even.

I would buy the Bosch again. (unless I had no budget, then might try out Festool or Mirka)

Todd Davidson
03-08-2012, 1:42 AM
True, but online you can buy the Metabo made refurbished sandrers on eBay or at CPO Ridgid for around $60. It is also a dual mode, and (like you said). in aggressive mode it's a beast. I, too am a still a fan of the 1/4 sheet palm sander - have a pair of Speed-Blocs that are over 20 years old and are my go to sanders.

The newer ones aren't made in Germany anymore. I have one, it's a good sander, but apt to turn a nice piece of plywood into a piece of veneerless scrap if you're not careful. I get the wife to do the sanding with it and blame her. I stick to a 1/4 sheet cheapie and haven't gone wrong with it yet.

Rich Engelhardt
03-08-2012, 7:47 AM
My long time companion, a dewalt 5 inch hook & loop,variable speed dander has gone on to the great shop in the skyI have the single speed version of that sander. Other than the replacement pads being all out of proportion costwise to replace, mine has served me fine - for a $59.00 sander.

Jim Andrew
03-08-2012, 8:54 AM
Have trouble with the ROSers where you have to hang onto the body. Got a Bosch with the handle on the side, and bought the fittings to hook it to my vac, and get along very well. The body also has a knob, so can hang onto it with both hands. Bought the refurbished version several years ago, don't use it every day, but often for 2 or 3 hours non-stop.

Dave Lehnert
03-08-2012, 1:26 PM

I also own the Milwaukee 6021-21 sander. I don't dislike it but it seems to be kinda grabby. You can be sanding and it will all of a sudden want to take off across the board. Kinda have to fight it to keep it on course. I take it you do not experience the same issue?
Just FYI-Ridgid has the same sander in orange.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/4C9wj1Av-g9HEvmtGR2YXOM414DsKynBk-7SU-I2Yp_Mj6dIdalda-6Gy_axDtIRztaPAZP2saQ2j4mRBC7G_SzqPXV7fOEWfr8bRiG0 qHuelXUVh-7HBgRVvlUVpbP852cRQ-kzWcSkxUw2IBlwoRw2776uH844Xm2Iv-_Ih78Iz0JAehmXq0uJ68LrHLmzo7AIr71xMuvgTJkuRRBg4naz 10whttp://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/65/65db149e-c689-4edb-9d50-b2c882dd50c9_300.jpg

Andrew Joiner
03-08-2012, 2:52 PM
Dave, The Ridgid is not the same, the switch is on the side.

I have no "grabbing" issues with my Milwaukee. I think any RO held up high with coarser grits could feel grabby. I hold on as low as I can on the tool, around the barrel. If I hold onto to the highest part or what looks like the hand grip I don't press down, just guide it.

Dave Lehnert
03-08-2012, 3:32 PM
Dave, The Ridgid is not the same, the switch is on the side.

I have no "grabbing" issues with my Milwaukee. I think any RO held up high with coarser grits could feel grabby. I hold on as low as I can on the tool, around the barrel. If I hold onto to the highest part or what looks like the hand grip I don't press down, just guide it.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, The difference between the two are the switch. The Ridgid got some bad reviews, because of it's location, was easy to accidentally bump off. The reason I went with the Milwaukee.
The sander I had before was a Ryobi. Very possible I am not use to the extra power of the new unit.

Michael W. Clark
03-08-2012, 11:47 PM
I had a 5" Craftsman, was actually was a pretty good sander, just didn't last long. I think it broke some kind of belt inside. I bought a Dewalt 5" with variable speed and I don't like it. It vibrates like crazy and is extremely loud. I have used it maybe 5 minutes. I got a Festool 6" Rotex and love it. Also have the Festool ETS 150? rectangular pad sander. It takes a little getting used to but is very good on face frames and narrow pieces. I also have a Rigid 1/4 sheet and don't like it either, it tends to grab. I'd be willing to part with the Rigid and/or Dewalt. The Rigid was bought refurbished from an outlet. Both sanders are like new with very little dust on them. If interested, PM me.

Mike

David Larsen
03-08-2012, 11:59 PM
I have both the PC 390K and Festool ETS 150. Both are variable speed and both have good dust collection.

shane lyall
03-09-2012, 3:06 AM
I love my P-Cs. They come with an extra ring that goes between the pad and body to help seal for dust collection. After many hours of use I still haven't seen a need to replace it in mine yet. My sander get used several hours a day as I make a living in my shop. I use them hooked up to a small shop vacs and dust collection is good. I think, but not sure, I had to buy the adapters seperatly but it's been a few years ago so who knows.

The felt backed paper costs a little more but I can change grits and save the paper if it isn't to far gone. That, and using the big eraser deal made for drum sander cleaning, has cut my paper use down so it all comes out about the same. As an added bonus, my woodmaster also uses the same backing. The outside edges hardly ever wear out before the middle and I cut new disks from it when we change a roll on the drum. Just something to think about if you are on the fence about backing materals.

If my Porter-Cables smoked today I would buy another just like them as soon as Lowes opened in the morning. eWalt is the same sander IIRC so it may pay you in the long run to replace it with what you had.