PDA

View Full Version : Which size of Accuride drawer slides?

Michael Ginsberg
03-07-2012, 10:40 AM
I am asking what I am sure is a silly question, but I am new to this.
I am making cabinets for my shop that are going to be 24 " deep. Woodcraft has Accuride drawer slides on sale. I know they come in all different lengths. What length do I want? I am not sure if you go a bit more shallow than the total depth. I was thinking 22"'s.
Thanks.

charlie kapper
03-07-2012, 11:03 AM
That is the length I used on the 24" deep shop cabinets I built.

Jim Rimmer
03-07-2012, 1:02 PM
Once you determine the length you need, buy the slides before you make the drawers. There are some clearance issues that require you have the slides in hand. DAMHIKT

Jamie Buxton
03-07-2012, 3:20 PM
Once you determine the length you need, buy the slides before you make the drawers. There are some clearance issues that require you have the slides in hand. DAMHIKT

Another tip... If you're not sure you can make the drawer boxes to exactly the tolerances spec'd by the slide manufacturer, aim to make the box a tad narrower than you need. You can easily put a shim between the slide and the cabinet. But if the box comes out too wide, there's no easy fix.

Michael Ginsberg
03-07-2012, 3:48 PM
Thanks Guys. Points taken!!

Another tip... If you're not sure you can make the drawer boxes to exactly the tolerances spec'd by the slide manufacturer, aim to make the box a tad narrower than you need. You can easily put a shim between the slide and the cabinet. But if the box comes out too wide, there's no easy fix.

frank shic
03-07-2012, 5:21 PM

well, you can always pull out that belt sander that's been lying dormant for ages ;)

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-07-2012, 5:40 PM
22" would be best, allowing an inch for the back of your carcass and another inch to allow for some clearance like if you ever need to snake a wire behind the drawer. You should consider using a lock miter bit for construction. I wrote a tutorial here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132180-Lock-Mitered-Drawer-Tutorial) a while back. It's simple and very strong and square.
Accuride are the creme of the crop for drawer slides. You might want to consider cheaper alternatives for shop drawers like KV full extensions over on wwhardware.com. Also Rockler "Rockslides" are a little more chingo but almost as sweet as Accuride. Have fun with your project!

Ryan Baker
03-07-2012, 8:36 PM
22" is what you want. The slides should be the same length as the drawer, or less. For a cabinet depth of 24", your drawer isn't going to be much more than 22".

Larry Edgerton
03-07-2012, 9:07 PM
I disagree with deviating from specs just in case you make a mistake. If you assume you are going to make a mistake, you have already failed. Most are 1 1/16" inch clearance per pair, but check the spec.

The specs on either Accuride or KV are accurate and that is all you need.

I actually prefer KV"s American made slide to Accurides.

Larry