PDA

View Full Version : Tormek Owners

Byron Trantham
03-23-2005, 6:17 PM
I recently received my Tormek and frankly I am impressed. I was not impressed with having to pick that thing up and rotate it 180 degrees to get the use the leather wheel. I always spilled the water! :mad: I got to thinking about it and I figured I could make a lazy susan to rotate the unit without having to lift it. I just finished the lazy susan table and I am here to tell you "it works!" I took two pieces of 1/2" x 13" x 13" melamine and sandwiched them between a 12" diameter lazy susan roller bearing assembly. I then drilled a hole in a corner all the way through both pieces. I turned the top 180 degrees and drilled yet another hole through the top board. I use the hole to "pin" the top into position. After grinding I remove the pin and rotate the Tormek 180 degrees and re-insert the pin and now the leather wheel is "turning in the right direction" without lifting the darn thing. Thought you might be interested. :rolleyes:

Greg Hairston
03-23-2005, 6:36 PM
Thanks Byron. Good tip.

Greg

Dennis Peacock
03-23-2005, 6:48 PM
I have been using a Tormek for about 3 years now and I wouldn't trade it for any other method of sharpening/grinding. I use a grinder, Tormek, Diamond Stones as well as Japanese Waterstones....I've even used sandpaper. But I still love and use my Tormek. ;)

Thanks for the tip. It will come in handy. :D ;)

Ted Shrader
03-23-2005, 6:55 PM
Byron -

That sounds like a great idea. Make sure you submit it. My wife wants the Tormek on a stand beside her lathe, not across the shop. Maybe that will do the trick.

Ted