PDA

View Full Version : Finally! A lathe upgrade.

Michael E. Thompson
03-06-2012, 10:28 PM
It took a couple years of searching online for a used lathe. I had convinced myself I was going to have to buy a new one later this year and fretting anymore price increases. Sunday a friend of mine and fellow creeker (Ricc Havens) called and said there is a Jet 1642 on Craigslist. Well Sunday was my boys (twins) birthday so I couldn't go look at it and was afraid someone would grab it before I could get there. Well Ricc graciously went over and looked, he called and said it was a good one. I picked it up last night and got it set up tonight. We carried it up from a basement shop and I carried it down to a basement shop. Even in pieces, its one heavy lathe. I am pretty sure the headstock weight more than my old delta midi. Now I have this big lathe, I can turn some bigger items. And the first thing I turn, is a pen and pencil set. That's OK, I am getting paid for them. I am really stoked about this thing and can't wait to make a mess. I need to reconfigure my shop as it too big for the original layout. But this will get me started.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Congratulations on the new lathe Mike! May it serve you well!

Steve Vaughan
03-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Reconfiguring your shop for a reason like that is good stuff! Congratulations!

John W Dixon
03-06-2012, 10:40 PM
You will love the 1642. They are just fantastic lathes. It does look a little sad with just the little bit of dust under it. Get some shavings flying on that bad boy.
Congratulations.

Greg Just
03-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Congratulations on the new lathe. I have the same one and love it. Enjoy!

Marty Eargle
03-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Congrats on the good find and the upgrade! Being able to see floor under a lathe sure is odd...better get to work on that. ;)

Steve Mawson
03-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Hope you got a good deal and it works for you a long time. Looks like a nice one.

Jon McElwain
03-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah, that one will open up a whole new world of turning for you. Bummer to turn a pen and pencil for the inaugural run, but you'll get some big stuff on there soon enough!

Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Congats on a nice lathe Mike.

Bill Bolen
03-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Sure look purdy! Hope she serves you well.

Doug W Swanson
03-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. I'd love to upgrade my Jet 1236 but it's just not in the finances right now....

John Keeton
03-07-2012, 5:06 AM
Mike, looks like it is in great shape! Congrats! I really enjoy mine, and I turned a couple of bowls large enough to justify the lathe - IF one needs to justify such purchases.;)

Russell Eaton
03-07-2012, 7:45 AM
You got a great lathe there. I still use mine even tho I have another larger one. It will serve you well.

Richard Jones
03-07-2012, 7:57 AM
Great lathe, I've never been disappointed in mine nor wished for a larger one. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Michael E. Thompson
03-07-2012, 8:01 AM
Thanks all. The lathe is in pretty good shape. The only bad part is the guy I bought it from smoked (A LOT!) and the thing stinks. A little cleaner will go a long way though. I did get a pretty good deal, less than half of retail pricing.

Mike

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2012, 8:36 AM
Michael - congrats on your new lathe! The size will feel a little intimidating at first but it doesn't take long to relax and enjoy turning! I've had mine for 5 1/2 years now ... good little lathe!!

Roger Chandler
03-07-2012, 9:07 AM
... good little lathe!!

:D:D:D:D.........yeah Steve.............I guess when one plays with an American Beauty, these midsized lathes are like minis to you!

nice find Mike............is it a 1.5 hp or the 2 hp model? Congratulations on the upgrade!

charlie knighton
03-07-2012, 9:11 AM
enjoy, congratulations

Michael E. Thompson
03-07-2012, 11:09 AM
:D:D:D:D.........yeah Steve.............I guess when one plays with an American Beauty, these midsized lathes are like minis to you!

nice find Mike............is it a 1.5 hp or the 2 hp model? Congratulations on the upgrade!

I was thinking the same thing Roger. Its a 1.5 HP. Ultimately I wanted a 2HP, but I couldn't pass up the deal, way too good.

Mike

Jon McElwain
03-07-2012, 4:08 PM
IF one needs to justify such purchases.;)

That's an awfully big "IF" there...

James Roberts
03-07-2012, 4:33 PM
Certainly qualifies as a gloat if you ask me. Congrats on a great deal and nice lathe.