PDA

View Full Version : A little advise is needed

Scott Hackler
03-06-2012, 10:25 PM
So during this "holiday" away from the lathe, my thoughts are with some upcoming projects and my sketch pad drawings. I also must focus on using the available wood in the shop. Which brings me to the question. My turning buddy Jim Adkins gifted me a 12" cube of curly Redwood while at SWAT. So I am thinking about what to do with it. My first thought was large HF but don't know what a 10-11" diameter HF will look like in the flesh. What do you think? Too big or go for it?

Oh and yes I am having serious withdrawls! But I do get to demo/teach at my club's upcoming workshop...if I remember how!

Kelvin Burton
03-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Probably not what you want to hear but for me that would equal two very nice bowls!

Scott Hackler
03-06-2012, 10:30 PM
lol....Kelvin, you stay away from my redwood cube!

Alan Trout
03-06-2012, 10:32 PM
I would make it a hollow form. I just like them much better then bowls. But that is just me.

Alan

Marty Eargle
03-06-2012, 10:40 PM
I would guess there would be quite a bit of wood waste if you made the whole thing one piece. I would probably try to determine the desired form and cut a few pen/finial/whatever blanks off of it. Also, no shame in making two short, wide hollow forms instead of the one big one. Could even be displayed as "twin" set when you finish them up.

Dave Stricker
03-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Consider a Southwest "pottery" hollowform. They are about as wide as they are tall and the redwood might look a little like pottery.

Dave

Hayes Rutherford
03-06-2012, 11:06 PM
How about 4-6x6x12 pieces for tall hollow forms or vase forms?

Curt Fuller
03-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Scott, it kind of depends on what audience you've after. When we turn things to post here and on the other online turning forums size can be very deceiving. You could cut that block of wood similar to what Hayes said or even into one 12 x 12 x 4 bowl blank and four 6 x 6 x 8 hollowform or vase blanks. Using waste/glue blocks you would get a lot of bang for that piece of wood and the resulting pieces would be nice and would photograph well for posting on a forum. But for strutting your stuff in person at SWAT, a big 11-12" hollowform is really going to pack some WOW factor in person. It will look nice in a photo too but a photo just doesn't do those big pieces justice. And you're going to end up with a lot of shavings and waste. Then again, if your purpose is for sales you have to ask yourself if you can sell a 12" hollowform for the price that compensates you for the mind numbing time and effort it takes to hollow something that large, along with the time you spend on pins and needles worrying about blowing it up. Or could you sell four nice hollowforms and pretty bowl for as much or more and have the pleasure of creating five different pieces. I know with me, I'd have to see the wood, see what the possibilities are of each scenario and then probably go on a whim anyway.

Scott Hackler
03-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the thoughts.

Curt, I think I really am leaning towards 1 large piece thing for a couple reasons. First for the reason that you menationed ...the WOW factor (if I pull it off) and second, because I don't know if I would have the guts to chop up a 12" cube of dry curly redwood! :)

Jon McElwain
03-06-2012, 11:59 PM
I bet it would make a sweet looking sphere like David D. made a while back. It would be an impressive form I'm sure.

Bill Wyko
03-07-2012, 2:16 AM
Scott, you've probably noticed, I like a challenge. I say challenge yourself with a big HF. That or cut it up into segments.:D

Larry Pickering
03-07-2012, 8:35 AM
Go for the hollow form and change your signature line to; no, is's not big enough yet

Roger Chandler
03-07-2012, 9:13 AM
Scott,

I like the idea of a larger than usual hf.........it would be a real attention grabber at a symposium or as a center piece for someone who saw it ...........that is one that would likely garner a nice price and make your efforts worthwhile if you wanted to show it at some gallery or even some event related to arts and crafts.

Making the curl pop will set it off and you will have a real fine piece for display!

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2012, 9:31 AM
Really hard to give an opinion on how best to cut a chunk of wood without seeing it. Like everyone states, a large hollow form would be impressive and command a fair price but you may limit your market appeal. If you cut the blank in half so that you had two 12" x 6" blanks, you would still be able to turn some fairly large hollow forms and then display them as a bookmarked set. Lots of options! Hope you are healing well!

Wally Dickerman
03-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Scott, another option is to mount the blank on the diagonal. Mount it on one corner and also on the opposite corner. You'll only get one piece, and it will be a bit smaller but you'll get some interesting grain pastterns.

Allan Ferguson
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
I like the large hollow from idea. Make sure that your tool will reach into the bottom and sides of the planned form. Since you may not get a second chance for another piece like this, I would suggest trying some poplar in that size first. The Redwood is easy cutting, dusty if dry. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

David E Keller
03-07-2012, 9:22 PM
I have no idea what to do with a piece of wood like that… I just set mine up on a high shelf, and I get it down and fondle it every now and then. Whatever you decide, I'll do something different with mine, so we can see which one of chose wisely.

Scott Hackler
03-07-2012, 9:39 PM
I am in the mind set of making it the largest HF possible, but I might have to order a longer extension for my Carter Hollow Roller! I think about 8-9" is about as deep as it will go with the 3/4" stock bar. And I will defininitely want the safety of the laser (so I don't screw it up)! The funny thing about this block is that I can't really tell the grain orientation very well as is and will have to slap a belt sander on it to see what is hidden under the chainsaw marks and dust.

David E Keller
03-07-2012, 11:12 PM
I think it's solid burl, Scott... At least, that's what I think mine is. If you sand off part of it, I'd love to see some photos of it.

Scott Hackler
03-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Will do. I think that is a must happen event. I would really want to see a smooth side or 4 to figure out the best orientation. Now to have time for my return to the shop.....

David Starks
03-08-2012, 10:53 AM
3/4" x 3/4" x 6" cuts = ink pens...thats my opinion! (mainly cause i cant get a stupid bowl made let alone a hollowform)

Mike Svoma
03-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Scott.....That piece would make a nice lamp base.

David DeCristoforo
03-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Depending on the profile of your HF, you should be able to lop off a chunk from each lower corner that would be big enough for an ornament globe. Easy to do if you have a bandsaw with a tilting table.

Scott Hackler
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
David, that thought has definitely crossed my mind. Of course we don't have Redwood here in doodah, so it is concidered a rare thing and I don't want to make any more "rare" shavings than needed! :)

David DeCristoforo
03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Figured old growth redwood is highly prized here in Ca. as well. But keep in mind that redwood is toxic. You have to be sure not to inhale the dust and even a small splinter can cause major problems if not removed right away.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-08-2012, 2:42 PM
Whatever you decide, Scott, I would chuck up a similar sized piece and turn a sample to be sure you like the shape and dimensions. Drawings, especially profile drawings take us so far but often look differently in the "flesh". In any event, have fun.
faust

Jeff Nicol
03-10-2012, 9:17 PM
Scott, Everyone has good ideas, but here is one that can be used to get a big finished piece and a couple of smaller ones also. If you design the larger HF with a line or bead of embelishment it, that could be used to hide a glue joint. So this means you could rough out the design to allow for the 2 halves to be cored to save the inner wood that would be lost if hollowed completley. I know a lot of folks frown on this but it is an option for a very special piece of wood. Once you have the design drawn the off cuts could be saved for pens, stoppers or ornaments, thus giving you the most out of the blank.

More than one way to skin a HF,

Good luck,

Jeff