PDA

View Full Version : Pin Nailer Technique

Mike Goetzke
03-06-2012, 9:12 PM
I have a Bostitch HP118K 23 ga. pin nailer. It has a steel tip so wondering if there is a trick or technique to reduce or eliminate dents from the tip.

Thanks,

Mike

Tom Ewell
03-06-2012, 9:18 PM
I use a Cadex, comes with a slip on soft tip but don't usually use it.
I angle the pin somewhat, helps with the dent and produces a better hold.
Some "feel" for the tool is also acquired over time and use.

Rich Tomassetti
03-06-2012, 9:22 PM
Cut down the air pressure to the nail gun somewhat. It's a trial and error thingy.

Bryan Cramer
03-06-2012, 9:26 PM
Shoot through a piece of thin cardboard. I have this same gun and the denting is the only drawback.

Bruce Page
03-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Cut down the air pressure to the nail gun somewhat. It's a trial and error thingy.
That was going to be my suggestion. I run 65-70 PSI with my Grex.

Alan Lightstone
03-06-2012, 10:29 PM
I seem to remember them recommending 90 psi for the Grex. Is that on the high side? I've never noticed denting before.

Bruce Page
03-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Alan, I wouldn't be surprised at the 90psi recommendation. I always experiment with my nail guns and run them at the lowest pressure I can get away with. I typically don't shoot longer than 5/8" with the Grex and the 65-70 psi setting works well.

Rich Engelhardt
03-07-2012, 7:11 AM
I run my PC pinner @ 85 psi.
I hover the tip just slightly above the surface so that the tip never touches the wood.
No touch = no hammer divot.

Pin nailers are designed for that since they don't require the tip to be depressed to fire.

Mike Goetzke
03-07-2012, 8:49 AM
I run my PC pinner @ 85 psi.
I hover the tip just slightly above the surface so that the tip never touches the wood.
No touch = no hammer divot.

Pin nailers are designed for that since they don't require the tip to be depressed to fire.

Problem with my Bostitch (at least when I got mine a couple years back) was the pins were always a little proud of the surface. The fix was to file some material off the tip. Maybe a little more filing and I can use this technique.

BTW - I'm sinking 1-3/16" pins through hardwood trim into a hardwood face. The trim is about 1/2" thick where the pins go through.

Mike

Peter J Lee
03-07-2012, 8:54 AM
I've got a Senco and I just hold it against the wood and fire - no dent. I don't change the pressure when I change guns so I'm guessing its around 90.

john bateman
03-07-2012, 9:05 AM
Problem with my Bostitch (at least when I got mine a couple years back) was the pins were always a little proud of the surface. The fix was to file some material off the tip. Maybe a little more filing and I can use this technique.

BTW - I'm sinking 1-3/16" pins through hardwood trim into a hardwood face. The trim is about 1/2" thick where the pins go through.

Mike

I have one of those, and have the same issue with the pin not recessing below the surface. I found tilting the gun slightly forward helps, but increases the chance of denting from the hammer.
I think you would have to tweak the air pressure, and the angle for each pin size and material you're shooting through.

If I used pin nailers often, I would trash it and get something better.

Mike Goetzke
03-07-2012, 10:29 AM
I have one of those, and have the same issue with the pin not recessing below the surface. I found tilting the gun slightly forward helps, but increases the chance of denting from the hammer.
I think you would have to tweak the air pressure, and the angle for each pin size and material you're shooting through.

If I used pin nailers often, I would trash it and get something better.

I did a little searching on my Bostich gun and found the there is a redesigned plunger/piston that drives the pins deeper. The fix came out a couple months ago and if you call 800-556-6696 they will mail it to you free of charge.

Mike