PDA

View Full Version : Temporary move to Charleston, SC

greg Forster
03-06-2012, 8:29 PM
With a probable temporary job move to Charleston late Spring 2012, for 9-12 months, I've started looking on Craigslist, etc ... really just need a room/private bath.
I'm hoping for something close to the job: Meeting St/Spring St.

Having never been to Charleston, I will welcome any suggestions and advice.

Bob Coleman
03-06-2012, 9:02 PM
Greg,

Charleston's great, I spent a year there in Navy nuclear power school about 10 years ago. College students should be looking to move out about then, so you shouldn't have any problem finding a place downtown. A classmate of mine lived above a carriage house behind a old mansion right around there.

Alas, my favorite downtown restaurant is now an irish bar. But plenty to do downtown. Be sure to hit the beaches and all the antebellum history/houses/etc. There's a great seafood restaurant on Sullivan's Island (or maybe Mt Pleasant) that is right on the Cooper River. The place has it own boats which pull up every day and deliver the evenings menu. Place has no sign, no decor, its really just a shack, but man the food is good, but I can't remember the name of it! And the cooper river bridge is new so getting there from downtown isn't the game of russian roulette the old bridge was. There's a bridge run 5k (10k?) is may I think if you're into that sort of thing.

Jim Matthews
03-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Awesome town.

Give shrimp and grits a chance (I recommend the Book Store cafe on King street.
If you are polite (people in Charleston have excellent manners) asking for help may produce assistance.

The Harris Teeter on East Bay street had a large bulletin board when I worked there (BK - Before Kids).
I would contact a realtor or housing agent about short term rentals - they know what's going on and might help.

FYI - On street parking in the old part of town means flooding. No joke flooding (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2007/oct/05/four_reasons_city_floods18210/)...