PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of my biggest segmented vessel yet.

Bill Wyko
03-06-2012, 7:10 PM
I wanted to get a little further along but I'm waiting for glue to dry so I figured I'd share with you the twisted idea going on in my head. This is 4 of the 10 features that will encompass the feature ring of this 22Inch diameter monster. In each of these panels there are 640 individual pieces. When the upper & lower features that will be above and below are added, there will be over 10,000 pieces just in the feature ring. Overall it should be 22"diameterx30"ish tall. I'm working on selling my quad to buy an American beauty lathe. And I'll be putting the Synergy QR tools to the test on this monster as soon as I can get it all together. So anyway, here we go, let the segments begin.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24029282/401077306.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24029282/401252300.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24003667/401437397.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24003667/401437393.jpg

Tim Boger
03-06-2012, 7:23 PM
Bill,

This looks to be the beginning of a masterpiece. Something like this deserves a DVD .... please.

Tim

Bill Wyko
03-06-2012, 7:28 PM
I'll sure try to keep track of all the little steps on this build but I have to say, I've had to reinvent so many little techniques to glue up such small pieces. I get so much glue on my hands that I can't touch the camera.:eek::D So far these alone add up to 2560 pieces and ther are 6 more + the upper and lower rings just for the feature ring. In addition, there will be a smaller feature ring at the base and the upper collar. Total estimate on all the pieces will be somewhere close to 20,000 individual pieces. I must be nutz!!!:eek:

James Roberts
03-06-2012, 7:37 PM
Nuts? Or an evil genius with designs on impressing the heck out of all of us! All I can say is WOW. Keep us informed with your progress.

Roger Chandler
03-06-2012, 7:58 PM
I think even Malcolm would be impressed with this one......of course I cannot speak for him or anyone else............all I can say is that you are more patient and must have more time than I..........that will be special when done..........progressand process pics please as you go along!

Scott Hackler
03-06-2012, 8:01 PM
Looks really nice so far Bill. How thick are those elements? They look about 1" or more. My first thought was resaw and double the number of them.

Bill Wyko
03-06-2012, 8:04 PM
Here's a little progress picture for you. This is just a few pieces for one of the surrounds. Now which one goes where?
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24003667/401443759.jpg

James Combs
03-06-2012, 8:06 PM
Looks really nice so far Bill. How thick are those elements? They look about 1" or more. My first thought was resaw and double the number of them.

+1 on re-sawing especially if you make them twice as thick as needed.

Bill Wyko
03-06-2012, 8:10 PM

Thanks very much.
They are 1-1/4 thick, they have to be this thick in order To be turned down. They won't be in port holes, it will be a smooth feature ring. If I were doing port holes I could get away with that. I did consider that though. What's surprising is, they are all almost identical even though they are made individually. Mathmatically they have to be 1" thick. The extra 1/4 is for the ID-10T factor. (Idiot factor) if I screw up and make it out of round. I plan on setting the tilt on my table saw blade and making an MDF moch up of the feature ring. Once the angle is perfect I'll cut the real thing.

As far as Malcolm goes, his work is what inspired me to take this vessel to this kind of extreme. I'm using many of the techniques found in his book. Also, he's putting on a contest for feature rings so that also got me motivated. Don't know if I'll be done in time but I'm gonna give it my best try.

In the midst of all this I have to fix some wood hinges on a humidor, build a humidor and build a 11'x8' entertainment center. Oh and did I mention, still run my business 5 days a week? I'll rest when I'm dead. Good news though, got my blood test back and my cholersterol is down 20 pts from the last test and everything else looks good.

Jamie Donaldson
03-06-2012, 8:36 PM
I think you must be channeling Ray Allen!! Good luck!!

Tim Boger
03-06-2012, 8:40 PM
Bill ... do I recall you saying that these tiny pieces had to be cut with a high quality miter box? If so, would you either identify or provide a link to one similar?

Thanks
Tim

David DeCristoforo
03-06-2012, 8:55 PM
Bill, you are either out of your mind or a man of incomprehensible patience. Or maybe both. I am admittedly not a big fan of segmented work in general but you raise the bar high enough that even those of us who are generally not enthusiastic about this type of work must stand in awe. I cannot imagine what this going to look like when it is completed but i am anxious to see. It will be very enjoyable to follow the progress...

Bill Bolen
03-06-2012, 9:02 PM
Admirable piece to be sure but...it makes my head hurt thinking of the process! Good luck on the first try being perfection. I look forward to the progress.

David E Keller
03-06-2012, 9:11 PM
Looks like the beginning of a beautiful piece! For the record, I do think you're nuts as DD suggested, but I'm so glad there are crazy artists like you who are willing to do this kind of thing! Good luck in the contest!

Harvey Ghesser
03-06-2012, 9:30 PM
Outstanding work, Bill. Suggestion..why don't you make two of these behemoths at one time?

John Keeton
03-06-2012, 9:33 PM
I am in DD's camp! Don't particularly care for segmentation, but I certainly enjoy seeing your work. This piece is going to be an exceptional undertaking - so, let's quit the talking and get to it!!:D Wipe the glue off the fingers and take some more pics.

Steve Vaughan
03-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Yup, I'd sure like to see the progress. That is gonna be some kind of nice!

Jon McElwain
03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
20,000 pieces, and each piece has 6 surfaces - 120,000 surfaces to prepare.... I am a patient guy, but that one just might lick me!

Beautiful though, and your joinery is really tight!

Bill Wyko
03-07-2012, 12:40 AM
John, you're crackin me up.:D I'm workin my arse off, trust me.
Well, toinght I put finish on the hinges for the humidor I need to fix. I should be done with that project tomorrow night. This weekend i hope to glue up 3 or 4 more of the panels. I have about 1800 pieces cut and glued into groups of 7. I still need to cut twice that but they are already laminated in groups of 7 as well. They are easy cuts too so I should make good progress. I also need to make the base & lid for the new humidor. This one is made of Curly Koa and Brazilian Walnut. I'll post pics of it in woodworking projects soon. I'll take pictures of as much as I can. I have to say, cutting some of these pieces is scary!!! But I'm extremely careful and the wood is secured for every cut. Using the Incra Miter 1000SE, I had to invent a jig to hold a stop block to the fence & the piece to be cut. Once the wood is secure, I remove the stop block to make the cut. This prevents the tiny pieces from sounding like a ricochet bullet as they fly into oblivion. Now the piece just lands gently on the table. There's a special order in which the pieces have to be glued together to prevent the tiny pieces from curling up when glue is applied to them. So many idiosyncrasies I've had to invent to bring it together. I have nightmares of being almost done and it flying to pieces when I say to myself "Just a little thinner" LMAO!!! I only have until April 15th to have a ring so cross your fingers and say a little prayer for me. Oh, did I mention, I don't even own a lathe big enough to turn it yet? It'll either be an American Beauty or a VB36. Should have my quad sold soon to assist in the purchase.

Bill Wyko
03-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Outstanding work, Bill. Suggestion..why don't you make two of these behemoths at one time?

Harvey I don't know if I could stand that much cutting & gluing. Besides, I already have a plan for something even more insane.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
I need to save my energy for the next one.:D All the new methods I've come up with really have the wheels spinning.:rolleyes:

Roland Martin
03-07-2012, 5:57 AM
I'll have to join the "You're Nuts! Camp" on this one, Bill:). Of course, at the same time I have to commend you on your patience and obvious talent in woodworking in general. Will be following your progress and wishing total success for you on this project. Thanks for sharing and may the Gods of segmentation be with you!

George Guadiane
03-07-2012, 7:05 AM
WOW, just WOW!
If the rest of this piece is as well designed, constructed and resolved (if the form is as nice as the segment ring) as what you have shown so far, you should be able to pay for your new lathe with the proceeds of the sale of this piece.

Michelle Rich
03-07-2012, 7:28 AM
I think your self-diagnosis is accurate: NUTZ!!! You are really raising the bar... I await the finished piece. it will rock our worlds I'm sure!

Russell Eaton
03-07-2012, 7:29 AM
Bill I am in the camp of HOLLY CRAP. 20k pieces... I hope you take lots of pictures as well. Good luck and be careful cutting all those segments.

Bob Rotche
03-07-2012, 9:35 AM
I am in the same camp as Russel Eaton. Looks like it will be a real masterpiece!

Van Huskey
03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I am impressed someone even embark on such, let alone see it to fruition! Very interested in watching the progress.

Bill Wyko
03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
After this weekend I'll be able to put more time into it. Once this ring is done I plan on making the top one & the bottom one so I can be sure to make the correct sizes in between. The one thing I'm conflicted on is where I can add some color to it. Since it's not for anyone as of yet, I can play around with a few ideas along the way. I'll probably introduce some Gabon ebony and some Bloodwood somewhere in the mix. More to come soon my friends. :)

Bill Bulloch
03-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Good news though, got my blood test back and my cholersterol is down 20 pts from the last test and everything else looks good.

I'm not surprised at that, saw dust is high in fiber. I can't wait to see the finished product...how long do you think this project is going to take?

John Terefenko
03-07-2012, 3:06 PM
Bill

I do not think you are nuts by any stretch. I think you are a dedicated individual that is very strong minded. As you read most of these posts many would have given up or not even challenged themselves. maybe they have other ways to challlenge themselves but I think it is great that you are sharing. I do hope there is some sort of documentation of this and that the methods you talk of that you are discovering are shared in this documentation. I do love segmented work. I believe that plain ordinary bowls and plates and vessels are just that boring. That is where I am left out. When someone takes wood and makes their own art it is special. Yes Mother nature does a good job in a different respect but this is a masterpiece. I marvel at the segmenters that can create such things because it all starts with the mind. Yous is a very active one and you see things that many of us do not.

Keep at it and good luck with the challenge and continue to show us updates. People are watching.

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2012, 4:09 PM
Probably just me... but I like it just the way it is!!

Looking forward to watching how all this comes together! Good luck and have fun!!

Primvs Aebvtivs
03-07-2012, 4:20 PM
Bill, I admire your patience, and skill. As for the amount of work you've done, and still need to do before the April deadline - I'm in the Holy Crap group! If I'd even managed to make ONE piece of segmented work that accurate I'd be happy to call it a day, let alone make ten, and then turn a bowl... Oh, and the other feature rings too... My brain hurts just thinking of the work involved. May I please be as talented as you at some point in the future, if not, then I still admire the fact that this standard of work exists!

Bill Wyko
03-07-2012, 4:21 PM
You are all too kind. But you are all truly an inspiration as well. I don't think I would do any of this had I not become a member of the world of woodworking forums. Its been said that I must have a ton of patience, it's actually just the opposite. I try to develop the most efficient ways to do this so I can see results as soon as possible. I'm just as anxious as you all to see what it'll be in the end. While I probably won't be done in time to put it in Malcolms contest at www. segmentedwoodturners.org, I will take the time to document as much as I can. Thanks again everyone for all your kindness & inspiration. I also want to thank Jameel Abraham for teaching me a new way to look at segmenting. He builds Oud's but his inlay method made me re-think segment possibilities

Bill Wyko
03-07-2012, 4:24 PM
Good news though, got my blood test back and my cholersterol is down 20 pts from the last test and everything else looks good.

I'm not surprised at that, saw dust is high in fiber. I can't wait to see the finished product...how long do you think this project is going to take?

I really hope to unveil it in October at the segmented wood turners symposium. Here's the url to a .pdf of the events.
http://www. segmentedwoodturners.org/assets/2012_brochure.pdf

Chris Tsutsui
03-07-2012, 8:32 PM
I was hoping that I discovered this thread late in the game and that when I scroll down to other pages i'll see the finished piece. But I guess I have to wait like everyone else... :)

Can we take any peeks at the design sketches?

Ryan Baker
03-07-2012, 9:03 PM
Very, very nice! You have incredible patience. Gonna be a masterpiece when it's done. Looking forward to your updates.

Jerry Wright
03-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Bill - All I can say is WOW. I once went out and purchased a new lathe because a bed post I was turning was too long to fit in my old lathe. But, that was moving up from a free 1939 Craftsman 9" lathe to a $600 Delta. I also often let the available wood dictate the piece I am going to turn. But, you take the cake - selling your 4 wheeler to purchase an American Beauty or a VB 36 so that you can turn a specific item in time for a contest....again WOW!!

I admire your work and your dedication to our hobby. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Baxter Smith
03-08-2012, 9:11 AM
Very nice start Bill! I am looking forward to whenever you post the next set of pictures.

Alan Trout
03-08-2012, 9:20 AM
Bill,

That is going to be an impressive piece. I still want to see a sketch of the form. It would help followers to visualize what you will be making and as you progress.

Thanks,

Alan

Robert McGowen
03-08-2012, 10:00 AM
They won't be in port holes, it will be a smooth feature ring.

If the pieces are not in port holes, won't the feature ring segments distort their shape when you turn them? In other words, won't the horizontal points in the middle appear to stretch out and get longer, while the verticle elements will pretty much look the same?

It looks like quite the long term project. I look forward to the finished piece.

Bill Wyko
03-08-2012, 11:40 AM
The main ring really won't have too much change from vertical and its curve should be close to symetrical from the top ot the feature to the bottom. The form will be similar to one of Malcolm Tibbetts pieces that was this size. I may elongate it a little below the feature ring though.

I am buying the lathe to make bigger pieces but not just for the contest. I hope I can even have the feature ring done in time. The contest did however, motivate me to begin this journey. I've always wanted to make something like this so I figured the contest was a good excuse.:D

Bill Wyko
03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
There is a down side to taking on such a big project. Lathe time goes to a minimum. I think this weekend I'm goint to turn something with my Glaser mini's. I got all these new tools and this big project put a stop to using them. I have a piece of dunno wood that I cut a blank out of last night. Thing is hard as steel but the grain patterns are super tight rings with a lot of contrast. I just can't wait, gotta turn something this weekend. The new tools are calling and I just have to answer. :D

Michael Short
03-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Bill that is going to be one outstanding piece of work. I look forward to seeing the final piece. If you would, Please post your progress as you go along this.

I love the design work in your feature ring.

Take Care.

Bill Wyko
03-09-2012, 1:18 PM
Thanks very much. This weekend I'm going to take care of some loose ends with a couple humidors. I also want to turn a piece I found burried in my stack of blanks. It's also my LOML's b-day so she gets a day. Then I'm going to go full time on this thing.

Mike Cruz
03-09-2012, 5:17 PM
Bill that is just SICK! I am hanging on the edge of my seat to see more...

Rick Markham
03-10-2012, 4:46 AM
Bill, that blows my mind. I'm one of the folks that can't fully wrap my head around what your feature ring is going to look like in the end, I've got to be patient too. That's absolutely fantastic (I've followed your humidor threads for quite some time)
Are you still using Jameel Abraham's method of making your inlays, like he does for his instruments? Have you tweaked the process to suit you? I'm fascinated by your designs! Maybe one day I will give a segmented piece a try, I fear I lack the fortitude to actually follow through to completion. My hat is off to you!

Dane Fuller
03-10-2012, 9:27 AM
I can't wait any longer. Hurry up and turn it already!!!!!:D

Scott Hackler
03-10-2012, 9:45 AM
OK Bill, here is a stupid question from a turner that has only done a couple small segmented pieces.

If those feature ring pieces aren't beveled on the sides to the appropriate angle for the ring, how will you transition them into the circumference of the feature ring?

Also, with a real eleborate feature ring element like these, is there any concern of wood movement with the side grain and end grain going every different direction?

Just curious to the process and trying to understand more about it. Thanks

Bill Wyko
03-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Because the individual pieces are so small and the glue joints having a very slight cushioning effect, I don't think there will be much wood movement to deal with. I will be doing a floating base as recommended by Malcolm Tibbetts. It too will be one of these panels in the bottom. The vessel Monsoon I turned in 2006 had multi directional grain and after 6 years the only change was that I could feel the joints. That was actually kind of cool because it made it so you could tell they were individual pieces. There is still a border of curly maple that will be attached to these so they can be made into rectangular segments. Then it can be glued up and turned like a normal feature ring.

You know what they say though, no risk, no reward.

Bill Wyko
03-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Bill, that blows my mind. I'm one of the folks that can't fully wrap my head around what your feature ring is going to look like in the end, I've got to be patient too. That's absolutely fantastic (I've followed your humidor threads for quite some time)
Are you still using Jameel Abraham's method of making your inlays, like he does for his instruments? Have you tweaked the process to suit you? I'm fascinated by your designs! Maybe one day I will give a segmented piece a try, I fear I lack the fortitude to actually follow through to completion. My hat is off to you!

I do use part of his technique but not as an inlay. He slices them up into thin veneers where I use them as thick segment through & through. This pattern is one I came up with on my own but there will be an inlay similar to the corners of the humidors incorporated into other parts of this feature ring. Definitely a complicated build.

Rick Markham
03-10-2012, 2:11 PM
I do use part of his technique but not as an inlay. He slices them up into thin veneers where I use them as thick segment through & through. This pattern is one I came up with on my own but there will be an inlay similar to the corners of the humidors incorporated into other parts of this feature ring. Definitely a complicated build.

Yeah, I realized you were keeping them as thick segments. It's a super cool process, and you do it justice for sure. I am anxious to see what the ring looks like assembled before turning, and certainly after turning in the finished piece. It's without a doubt spectacular already. Do you use your table saw to cut your pieces, and if a guy was to need to buy a decent miter gauge, which one would you recommend? :D Thanks Bill, Once that's finished you will certainly have "earned" that new lathe ;)

Bill Wyko
03-10-2012, 4:09 PM
I use an Incra miter 1000se. They make higher end ones but this is the only one that will do 1/10th degree angles. The tablesaw is the only only saw i use. Cutting small pieces on the miter saw is un-nerving. I'm kind of jonesing to get on the lathe again and I want to play with my MiniQR tools. So this weekend I'm taking a break and making a nice solid form bowl for my LOML's birthday on Monday. The mini's are so much fun to turn with. They're like a whole other aspect of turning. Like a sports car vs a station wagon. Yet another way to enjoy turning. It never ends.

Rick Markham
03-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the info Bill, I will have to add the Incra 1000se to "the list". I'm sure if I ever get one the next question is going to be... How? :D lol

Bill Wyko
03-19-2012, 2:18 AM
I fixed the bent pin. Here are some pics. These make the snowflake center. Ii now have enough to make all of them. I hope to have all of them done this week and have a ring next weekend. Just in time for the new PM4224 to get broken in. :D
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24029282/401667903.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24029282/401667900.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24029282/401667904.jpg
The above become these. Been a busy weekend.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24029282/401252300.jpg

Rick Markham
03-19-2012, 3:05 AM
That's really amazing Bill. It's a giant jigsaw puzzle only you have to make all the pieces and design too!

When your cutting all of those pieces, and your lamination gets to be short, do you have a clever way of holding the piece?

Mike Cruz
03-19-2012, 7:14 AM
My guess would be "very carefully"...;)

Thanks for the update, Bill. Please keep the pics coming as you progress. This is just an amazing undertaking.

Bill Wyko
03-19-2012, 1:37 PM
There are times I am way too close to the blade but once the pieces get too short, save them for a different glue up that will make a vertical line between the features. Afteral, it's important to recycle right? 8-)

Bill Wyko
03-19-2012, 6:43 PM
Well, all 10 snowflake centers are done. That is a lot of pieces, about 5000 so far. When they are complete with the borders there will be over 6400 just in the snowflake patterns. I'm over a 1/4 of the way there, woo hoo.