PDA

View Full Version : White Oak Bowl -SJPT-My first in a while

Roger Chandler
03-06-2012, 5:09 PM
This is a small bowl I roughed out in January, and put in a DNA bath, then bagged for drying.........it stopped losing weight this week, so it was safe to finish turn.

I have been really under the weather for the last month.........as well as some of our family members have had this bug going around. Just got my MIL out of the hospital last Friday evening..........no time for turning.

My last turning from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree split on the base...:eek::mad:.........this wood is enough to drive you crazy! This one should not do it........I believe it is nice and stable with all I went through with the drying process. The bowl is almost six inches across and almost 2.75 high.

Just a simple bowl from some historic wood. It felt good getting back to the shop for a little today! :)

Comments welcome!

Allan Ferguson
03-06-2012, 6:13 PM
Nice bowl. To bad about the rest. Plenty of bad news lately.

James Roberts
03-06-2012, 6:43 PM
What an elegantly simple bowl, just something you would have imagined that Stonewall Jackson himself would have appreciated. Sorry to hear of your other trials and hope your spirits are up soon. Well done, again, on a fine piece of history.

Tony De Masi
03-06-2012, 7:03 PM
Simple but well executed Roger. Hope all calms down around the household too. And I understand how finicky that white oak can be.

Roger Chandler
03-06-2012, 8:02 PM
Simple but well executed Roger. Hope all calms down around the household too. And I understand how finicky that white oak can be.

I don't know if you can tell it in the pics Tony, but I made the rim stand a little proud of the bowl itself above the burn line.....thought it would enhance the grip on the rim and give a little visual interest.

Harvey Ghesser
03-06-2012, 9:15 PM
Nice bowl, Roger!

Steve Vaughan
03-06-2012, 10:27 PM
That's a great looking bowl Roger. Do you have any idea how many total pieces have been turned from that tree up to this point? It's gotta be zillions! I love wood with a story. Glad everyone's one the mend and hope they stay that way!

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2012, 11:13 PM
That is a beauty Roger. I like the burned line at the rim and the simple form.

Michelle Rich
03-07-2012, 7:36 AM
glad you are on the mend..nice simple , & well shaped bowl. You are back in the groove!!

Roger Chandler
03-07-2012, 9:19 AM
That's a great looking bowl Roger. Do you have any idea how many total pieces have been turned from that tree up to this point? It's gotta be zillions! I love wood with a story. Glad everyone's one the mend and hope they stay that way!

I really do not know how may items have been turned to date from this Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree as of yet..........I think a good guesstimate would be maybe 130-150 items so far..........a good number of which are pens. There are more bowls coming forward now that some of the turners have gotten time to deal with the wood issues..........a drying process is an absolute must, and the larger the blank the longer the drying time.

Unfortunately, a good bit of this wood was already decaying, and was not usable.........but there is a lot that is as well. We just have to go through it one piece at a time and see what we can get out of it...........thanks Steve!

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2012, 8:36 AM
Roger... that time of year for folks to get sick. Hope you and your family are all feeling better!

Nice bowl! I noticed the rim treatment and like it! Doesn't jump out at you but when you go to pick it up it will add just a little something extra!

Baxter Smith
03-08-2012, 9:04 AM
Glad you are feeling better Roger. Sharing the "bug" among family members can sure drag things out. You have a nice looking bowl!

Roger Chandler
03-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks Steve and Baxter..........we are getting better, by God's grace, and I appreciate your well wishes, much!

Steve, your assessment of the subtle rim detail is correct........not catchy to the eye, but is to the feel. I hope whoever ends up with this one will like it...........the grain has some chatoyance in it as well.........as the piece is rotated and the light catches the grain, it has a reflective quality to the grain, and the rays on this piece are just super.........

One of the few pieces of this tree I have turned so far that has not frustrated the dickens out of me! :eek:;)

steven carter
03-08-2012, 1:28 PM
Roger, glad to hear that you and your family are getting better! Just looking at this bowl has me feeling well. Some bowls look really great with a foot and this is one of them. I really like the rim and the burned accent. My prayers are with you and your family for continued good health.

Roger Chandler
03-08-2012, 2:41 PM
Thank you Steven..........blessings to you and yours as well!

Roger Chandler
03-08-2012, 8:49 PM
Well, I got an email this evening and it looks like this bowl will have a new owner! :);)

Hayes Rutherford
03-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Roger, turning that nice bowl was good medicine and getting that email should have you feeling good as new!!

Roger Chandler
03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
This one has been delivered to its new home.............and 3 other items from this wood as well! Wow, that was fast! :) the other 3 items [a lidded box and 2 pens] went to a gift shop/gallery.........not bad for the morning........now I need to make more things! ;)