PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving glasses, auto focus problems

Annette Plamondon
03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I am laser engraving 300 glasses with the same logo on them, one at a time obviously. BUT the machine started acting up and when it auto focuses, it will go up and down extra times and then stay down so the auto focus lever thing is scraping along the glass. The laser doesn't work when this happens. I try to reset my z depth, I resend the file. I have unplugged the machine. Restarted numerous times. I can get it to work once in a while, but it has taken me an hour and a half to engrave about 5 glasses. Has anyone else had this problem?

I use a Gravograph LS100Ex 30 watt laser with Gravostyle 6 for my program.

THANKS!

Dan Hintz
03-06-2012, 1:08 PM
Get rid of the plunger and set the depth directly... you'll be happier in the long run.

Annette Plamondon
03-06-2012, 1:17 PM
I just got off the phone with tech support, spent 1.5 hours with them, they reinstalled my driver, did many other things and now they are saying my switch might be bad and will have to replace it. :( no good. I am not sure I know how to set my depth properly without the auto focus. I have never done it myself.

Mike Null
03-06-2012, 1:29 PM
Tech support should be able to send you a drawing for a home made focus tool. Make it from .125" plastic. Auto focus is often more trouble than it's worth.

Gary Hair
03-06-2012, 2:41 PM
If you can't laser them without the autofocus then I would suggest finding someone to sandblast them for you. I guarantee you it will take less than 1/2 the time to sandblast that many glasses and they will look much better than lasered anyway.

Gary

P.S. I'm in Oregon, where are you?

Jim Reinhard
03-06-2012, 5:39 PM
Hi Gary,
I have never sandblasted but was thinking about giving it a try myself . Dont you have to laser a mask for each one? Then attach it -then blast it? then remove it ?seems like it would add up to more time then just lasering it in one shot time.

If you can't laser them without the autofocus then I would suggest finding someone to sandblast them for you. I guarantee you it will take less than 1/2 the time to sandblast that many glasses and they will look much better than lasered anyway.

Gary

P.S. I'm in Oregon, where are you?

Gary Hair
03-06-2012, 6:33 PM
Hi Gary,
I have never sandblasted but was thinking about giving it a try myself . Dont you have to laser a mask for each one? Then attach it -then blast it? then remove it ?seems like it would add up to more time then just lasering it in one shot time.

There are many ways to create a resist for sandblasting, one way is to laser. The most efficient way when you have large quantities of an item is to use photo-resist. I can print out enough for 10 or more glasses on a single sheet of resist and apply them very quickly. If you have a couple pieces to do then laser tape is usually quicker, 10 or more and photo-resist is usually quicker. I have one customer that I etch martini glasses, 12 cases at a time, the only way to do them is photo-resist.

Gary

Thomas Baranowski
03-14-2012, 9:28 PM
Get rid of the plunger and set the depth directly... you'll be happier in the long run.
Total agreement with Dan on this one, take it off and cut yourself an acrylic guide