PDA

View Full Version : What next, straightening a back saw blade

Kevin Grady
03-06-2012, 9:52 AM
226368Good morning all,I recently picked up a R. Groves carcass saw and the blade had a slight kink and was/is slightly wavy. A two for one deal! :( I've managed to eliminate the kink and reduce some of the waviness, but there is still a noticable wave to the blade. I've tried George's method of tapping the back with the blade in a vise, but that hasn't helped much. I tried a couple of test cuts and while the blade is quite dull, it seemed to track well even in it's current condition. My thought was to sharpen it and see how well it performs without bothering with trying to having a perfectly straight blade. While it won't look pretty, it should do it's job.Any other ideas for trying to remove the wave that doesn't involve major work? Or just keep it as the ugly duckling?Also, anyone have any "spare" split nuts they would be will to part with? This saw is missing one and while I like the Bad Axe saw saw nuts, those would cost more than what I paid for the saw and the condition of the rest of the saw doesn't warrant such nice bling. :DThanks,Kevin

David Posey
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Try taking the plate out of the back and bending it as far as you can in both directions.

george wilson
03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I had to do that to dozens of saws.Already described how to deal with it,but here it is: Remove the handle and CAREFULLY clamp the blade by the handle end in a non marring vise. Adjust a crescent wrench,or,better,make a strong WOODEN fork that fits over the back. Twist the back as if you wanted to turn it into a spiral drill bit,in the direction to make the cutting edge go back straight. Proceed to do this along the back,eyeing down the tooth line. Pretty soon the tooth line can be made straight,and the small torques you made to the back will not be noticeable.

What you SHOULD NOT do,is bend the whole back until the teeth are straight. That results in teeth that are straight,and an unsightly curved back.

What you have already done,is to use my method for removing big "S" curves,caused because the blade slipped in the back. A long,gentle curve requires something different,like torquing the back to straighten it.

Kevin Grady
03-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. George, your explanation of twisting the back makes more sense now. I had read that previously and blaming on lack of coffee, it's more clear now.