PDA

View Full Version : Cored African Sumac

Kathy Marshall
03-06-2012, 3:07 AM
Sunday I decided to give coring an african sumac blank a try and this is the result. This is my 4th coring and so far this wood has been the easiest to core. It cuts very nice when green, but it can get pretty hard and chippy when dry (this was a nice green blank)
I forgot to measure, but the biggest bowl is about 11" x 4 1/2" or so. Sanded to 400 and finished with danish oil. Once they're dry, I'll put them near a sunny window and let them redden up.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Josh Bowman
03-06-2012, 4:47 AM
Kathy,
Those cores look very nice. You sure make it look easy. The grain on the largest really looks nice. I'm guessing you've turned them to final and will let them warp?

Michelle Rich
03-06-2012, 5:42 AM
very appealing set. the wood is quite good looking. I think I may have to move to arizona, just to get the wonderful wood you have.

John Keeton
03-06-2012, 8:06 AM
Another nice set, Kathy - beautiful wood, very warm and "touchy/feely" looking.

Doug W Swanson
03-06-2012, 8:09 AM
Great work once again!

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Another beautiful set and beautiful wood Kathy.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Very nice set! Love the rich coloring in the wood!

Scott Hackler
03-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Nice work Kathy. So I have a question for you.... Your speed of turning seems to be getting faster and faster. And dare I say, your approaching production turner staus. So my question is, have you found an outlet for selling your items? You have quite the stock pile by now.

Jon McElwain
03-06-2012, 1:25 PM
Now that is a great set of bowls Kathy! I appreciate that the stacked bowls have an even height difference between the large and medium, and the medium and small.

Kathy Marshall
03-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone!
There's definitely a learning curve, but taking it slow and trying to anticipate where the blade tip is going helps. It's nice to keep some shavings off the floor (I've got more than enough there already :eek:)

Kathy,
Those cores look very nice. You sure make it look easy. The grain on the largest really looks nice. I'm guessing you've turned them to final and will let them warp?
Yes Josh, turned to final and they're bagged to slow the drying and minimize warping. They'll still warp a little but it shouldn't be too bad. 99% of what I turn green is turned to final thickness and either bagged or left to do it's thing, I just dont have the patience for twice turning and it's just nicer turning green wood.

Nice work Kathy. So I have a question for you.... Your speed of turning seems to be getting faster and faster. And dare I say, your approaching production turner staus. So my question is, have you found an outlet for selling your items? You have quite the stock pile by now.
The new belts helped speed things up, but I still haven't looked at ways to sell my turnings so they are piling up a bit. It's on my list of things to do, it's just not very high on the list right now (I'd rather be turning), but one of these days I'm going to run out of room!