PDA

View Full Version : Looking for spacely sprockets....

Kenny Norman
03-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi All,

This is my first post to the forums but I have been reading quite some time. I am starting a new machine build and am in the process of rounding up parts to attempt to build a 4ft by 4 ft working area cnc controlled router table. I have been attempting to locate idler sprockets for #25 roller chain. I understand this is the same size as bicycle chain but I don't seem to be able to find any of the little darlings without having to mortgage the rest of the Ponderosa. I would like to locate six or so in order to have a spare or two. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I even have Hop Sing calling his relatives to no avail. Thanks for your help.

Kenny Norman

Jerome Stanek
03-06-2012, 6:49 AM
Try Mcmaster carr they have one for $22.69 listed

Jim Underwood
03-06-2012, 1:01 PM
MSC and Grainger are also places to check.

Paul Grothouse
03-06-2012, 8:13 PM
Reid supply is also a good source.

Leo Graywacz
03-06-2012, 9:12 PM
Right here...

http://wizzard.com/bm2010/Images/med/Jetsons_SpaceleySprockets.jpg

Kenny Norman
03-07-2012, 4:43 PM
Thanks for all the good leads. Im runnin them down....Thanks again

Kenny Norman

John Beroset
03-13-2012, 6:04 AM
On my machine, I purchased 14T, 1/2 bore "standard" sprockets (@ $2.85 each) from www.surpluscenter.com (http://www.surpluscenter.com). and bronze oiled sleeve bearings (bushings) 3/8 bore X 1/2 OD X 3/4 long (@ $11.75 for a pack of 25) from Global Equipment Co. I used 3/8 bolts to mount the bushings and tightened the nuts to keep the bushings from turning and then removed the setscrews from the sprockets and let them nun free on the bushings. If necessary, the bushings can be cut down in length (a disk sander works good for this) to restrict the idler sprocket's lateral movement. This worked well for me and was a small fraction of the cost of ball bearing idler sprockets.

John Beroset

Leo Graywacz
03-13-2012, 8:38 AM
Excellent, glad to here that you got what you needed.