PDA

View Full Version : stickin to pens

David Starks
03-05-2012, 9:26 PM
I think im going to stick to making pens/pencils and the such.

Ive tried making bowls now twice and both times the blank has flown off the chuck while taking out the middle. the first piece happened twice and the second of those times it launched across the shop so fast i didnt see it happen:eek:. bowl 2 was yesterday.

i know im doing something wrong so until i get some more xperience, im gonna leave my blanks on the shelf to dry.

Marty Eargle
03-05-2012, 9:37 PM
One would have to assume that your piece isn't seated well in the jaws. Either that or you're turning soft wood and a good catch is enough to pull it loose. There is nothing like in person, hands on learning...but I suggest anyone who turns look up Bob Hamilton's videos on youtube (user:bobham5), as well as explore the other videos there. You can get a much better idea of chucking and tool orientation.

David Starks
03-05-2012, 9:55 PM
the first peice was some green sweet gum, the other was some semi-dry black walnut. I say semi-dry as ive had the original log best of 2 yrs before i got into turning and cut out the blanks.

both ejections happend when taking out the inside. i know its getting caught, i just dont know what im doing wrong....

Allan Ferguson
03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Get a hold of David Keller on this site. He is an experienced turner and in you area.

Barry Elder
03-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Join a local woodturning club (if there is one) and you will find many turners who will be happy to help you solve your problem, and many others you don't even know you have! Have a GREAT DAY!

Marty Eargle
03-05-2012, 10:18 PM
The three biggest tips I have for turning out the inside of a bowl are to a) drill a pilot hole in the middle so you have somewhere to lead your gouge b) ride the bevel of your gouge and c) don't get taken away and try to hog off too much in one sweep.

The bowl gouge is something that takes time to get good at, let alone master. And like Allan said, if you can get up with Dr. Keller or another turner in your area, first hand instruction is invaluable.

Lee Koepke
03-05-2012, 10:18 PM
A little instruction goes a long way! Catches that launch bowls are a safety issue, and its better to learn to turn safely! I took a bowl turning lesson when I first started and that helped tremendously. I still have a long way to go with tool control, but its a start.

Scott Hackler
03-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I hold Keller responsible for your lack of assistance! :) Give Dave a buzz and tell him that the free wood comes with a price....lessons! Otherwise your going to have to make a trip up north and I will get you squared away!

Curt Fuller
03-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I think im going to stick to making pens/pencils and the such.

Ive tried making bowls now twice and both times the blank has flown off the chuck while taking out the middle. the first piece happened twice and the second of those times it launched across the shop so fast i didnt see it happen:eek:. bowl 2 was yesterday.

i know im doing something wrong so until i get some more xperience, im gonna leave my blanks on the shelf to dry.

Don't let that discourage you. I've been doing them for about 10 years now and I launched one across the garage just yesterday. Take all the good advice you've gotten here and keep at it. If possible, get a copy of Bill Grumbines bowl turning dvd. The launches will get less and less frequent, I promise.

David Starks
03-05-2012, 10:35 PM
In doc's defense, he's showed me things and tried to help. i think too i need to take him the peices that have launched and see if he has any ideas (bad foot, etc).

Scott: i show up w/ wood and his wife's eyes roll...he almost needs another shop just for the wood.

Steve Mawson
03-05-2012, 10:53 PM
I have had the same trouble but when I got the 3.5" jaws for my SN2 I have had a lot fewer of the blank coming loose or the tenon breaking off. I think actual size is either 100mm or 130mm. Anyway closed it is just over 3". I went through this thread quickly so if this has been brought up earlier sorry for the duplication.

David E Keller
03-05-2012, 11:22 PM
We'll get it straightened out! Don't think I haven't launched a few bowls. I consider it a sign that your on to something... We just have to figure out what it is and stop it! Watts is doing the same thing, so it may be that you've got a rotten teacher! I think I've got some free time this weekend or next to turn a few bowls... We'll go to the lot and get some of that green maple... It'll be perfect for launching, I mean turning!