PDA

View Full Version : SawStop Customer Service

Jim Bennett
03-05-2012, 9:23 PM
About 2 weeks ago, the brake on my Sawstop activated when I was turning on the saw (blade was not moving). I took it into my local woodworking store and they contacted Sawstop and then sent in the brake to Sawstop. I just heard from Sawstop today and, after downloading the data from the brake, they said:
"the most likely reason that the brake activated was due to electrical noise in the contactor relay assembly... The current brake cartridge software (rev13 - serial number end in -D13) has a fix to avoid future incidents."
After doing a Sawmill Creek search, I see this has been mentioned before in previous threads. However, I do want to commend Sawstop for their customer service that got back to me quickly and are sending me a replacement brake.

The other thing I learned: My local woodworking store was out of stock on the brakes except for one marked "demo". So I bought the demo brake in order to keep working. Yesterday I was cutting some tenons and the saw shut down. If I turned off the power, the computer would do the diagnostics, the green light would come on, and the saw would work again . . . for about a minute. Needless to say this was kind of frustrating. I learned from Sawstop that the demo brakes are not supposed to be sold and are programmed to only let the saw run for 60 seconds. Amazing how much is packed into that little brake system.

mreza Salav
03-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Their customer service is 2nd to none (and there are good ones like Lee Valley). I have dealt with SawStop CS a couple of times, both times the saw was out of warranty,
and they were way beyond I would consider an excellent service.

Russell Johnson
03-08-2012, 5:12 PM
Did they replace the blade? Seems to me this was a defect in their product. Just curious.

Jim Bennett
03-08-2012, 11:14 PM
No, but the blade really wasn't damaged. The event happened when I hit the on switch -- so the saw was not moving. I went ahead and sent the blade in for sharpening (and inspection) just to be sure, but it needed to be sharpened anyway.

They did overnight the new brake cartridge to me, I got it the day after I posted the note above.

Ron Natalie
03-09-2012, 8:08 AM
Say what you want, I got some emails from Goss himself with respect to questions and suggestions I had.

I thought the demo brake units were limited to cutting hot dogs.

Jim Bennett
03-10-2012, 6:22 PM
You are correct, the demo brake cartridges are supposed to only be used for cutting hot dogs. However, I discovered they work just fine as long as you don't want to run your saw more than 60 seconds at a time.

I returned the demo cartridge today and the store gave me a $100 gift card to make up for my troubles!