PDA

View Full Version : Two old files?

steven c newman
03-05-2012, 4:31 PM
Have a pair I've been using during this plane re-hab. Both are at least a foot long, by an inch wide. A "SUN FLOWER BASTARD" file by JK of India, and a coarse rasp by JOHNSON Made in USA. The rasp has saw teeth down each edge. :eek: Rasp is a Half round, with a flat side as well. Been in the tool box a few years, not sure where I picked them up at. Seem to work alright.

IF you want, I could get a picture, or two:rolleyes:226328 Two cheap Made in china rasps, the two older rasps, and a rat-tail rasp that I have no idea who made it or where.

steven c newman
03-06-2012, 10:36 AM
The third, fourth, and maybe the fifth ones (L-R) are the oldsters. The rat-tail rasp is an unknown, someone ground the tang for a better grip, maybe. I never have heard of a company named J K, "Made in India". or something called a SUNFLOWER BASTARD file. The rasp by Johnson does have a sawtooth pattern along the edges. At least it is made is USA. The first and second ones are some "Made in China" stuff I picked up a long time ago. Just wondering about the brand names on those two oldies.

george wilson
03-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I know the JK brand,but have forgotten what the initials stand for. Maybe it will come back. Johnson is another old co. I know. Is the K Keller???

Christopher Turner
06-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Hi, resurrector of old threads here (last post was 3023 days ago).
In 1998 my grandfather died and left me his toolbox. I needed to use the file from it yesterday and got to wondering about "Sunflower Bastard" which led me to this page from Google.
The one I own looks like the middle file in your picture, minus a handle. It was in a Sears Craftsman plastic (vinyl?) pouch with markings:
8" Flat File Kromedge ® For Added Life - Rust Resistance
Double Cut - Bastard Cut
For Fast Removal Coarse Filing of All Metals and Wood by Machinists, Woodworkers, Auto Mechanics, Etc.
Sold by Sears Roebuck and Co. Chicago IL 60684 USA and Simpsons-Sears Limited, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The product number was 9 31254
Stamped into the metal of the file is JK MADE IN INDIA and the other side has SUN FLOWER BASTARD.

Google shows JK Files (India) Limited is still around (as a subsidiary of Raymond Ltd), and their website says "World's largest manufacturer of steel files"
Can't find any information about the age of this file though.
I did find the part 9 M 31254 in the 1966 Sears Catalog (thanks archive_org!) listed as a 10" bastard file for $0.99. The text says "Imported from Central Europe" and I've found several examples of this file on fleabay that were made in Austria, so I guess by 1966 they had already moved production elsewhere. Or maybe India came after Austria?

steven c newman
06-16-2020, 5:05 PM
Seems I just picked another such rasp..
With a huge handle..
Yet, someone had ground the name/ logo off of it...

Jim Koepke
06-16-2020, 5:43 PM
My lucky find of files was at a hardware store that had been closed for years having a "clean out the building" sale:

They were NOS at less than 50¢ each.

jtk