PDA

View Full Version : Making curl pop LESS

Ken Peluso
03-05-2012, 2:56 PM
So, my wife wanted a new bed frame and asked me to make one. We looked at some designs and sample species I had on hand. She picked some nice tiger maple Ive been saving and I even planed an off cut and hit it with a little BLO so she would have an idea of the final product.

This weekend I finished the prep on everything and cut all of the M&T etc. This morning I sent her and email with images of completed tiger maple projects as finishing options.

This was her response: "Yeah, I’m just not really sold on that curl. If there’s a way to diminish that a bit, I’d prefer it." :eek:

Prashun Patel
03-05-2012, 3:27 PM
What was your finishing regimen before?

warning: I'm not a pro, but this has worked for me on birch to minimize blotch:

To diminish the curl, I would sand it to a super fine grit (between 400 and 600). Then I would use a very pale shellac - like Platina which is practically clear. These 2 things will help seal and even things out. If you are planning to use any color, I would then use a gel stain or tone the shellac after several thin coats have been applied

Ted Calver
03-05-2012, 3:37 PM
Choose another wood and save the good stuff for curly projects:)

Ken Peluso
03-05-2012, 3:38 PM
Thanks Prashun. I should have prefaced my post with "This is a bit of a venting"/make sure that your "customer" knows what the finished material will look like. I really don't want to hide the curl in this wood; what a waste. Ill most likely put it back on the racks for another project and mill from regular maple for the bed.

Prashun Patel
03-05-2012, 4:13 PM
My 1st response was the same as Ted's. However, since you had already cut everything, I thought u were too far gone.

I've been there many times. I've had many the battle to avoid 'espresso' coloring every other thing I made the first couple years for SWMBO.

Harvey Pascoe
03-09-2012, 2:10 PM
Thanks Prashun. I should have prefaced my post with "This is a bit of a venting"/make sure that your "customer" knows what the finished material will look like. I really don't want to hide the curl in this wood; what a waste. Ill most likely put it back on the racks for another project and mill from regular maple for the bed.

Sounds like the better solution even if you loose a bit of wood.

Phil Maddox
03-12-2012, 7:51 PM
"Yeah, I’m just not really sold on that curl. If there’s a way to diminish that a bit, I’d prefer it." :eek:

My advice - keep the cutie in your avatar and divorce the other woman in your life on the grounds of blasphemy. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Todd Burch
03-12-2012, 9:27 PM
Too funny Phil! Perhaps Ken can show some pictures around at the office and see which of the ladies likes the curl... :eek: