PDA

View Full Version : Where do I need to get replacement bearings from?

Tim Boger
03-05-2012, 2:53 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a Jet 14" Bandsaw with Carter Bearing guides, I need to replace the lower 6 bearings and Carter wants $9.00 each ..... I would think I can get what I need for a bit less than that.

Anybody have a reasonable source for replacement bearings?

Thanks !!

Tim

Bill Huber
03-05-2012, 2:59 PM
Normally you can take a bearing to a bearing house and they can match them. I have done this many times with different bearings over the years. Look on the net in your area for a bearing supply house and I am sure they can help.

Tim Boger
03-05-2012, 3:13 PM
Normally you can take a bearing to a bearing house and they can match them. I have done this many times with different bearings over the years. Look on the net in your area for a bearing supply house and I am sure they can help.

Hey Bill ... I guess I thought the bearings I needed were special ... didn't think to call a local seller. The bearings I need are 2 dollars each about a block from my work.

Thanks!

Bill Huber
03-05-2012, 3:15 PM
Hey Bill ... I guess I thought the bearings I needed were special ... didn't think to call a local seller. The bearings I need are 2 dollars each about a block from my work.

Thanks!

That is great, and it saves a little money on top of being able to get them now.

Van Huskey
03-05-2012, 3:21 PM
For others that might read the thread besides loacl there are plenty of internet outlets for bearings. The bearing number including the shield/seal type should ne on the side fo the bearing. Most small bandsaw guide bearings are in the 6000 series and many of them are the same size used in inline skate wheels. In any case double sealed bearings for this application should run about $1-2 each. There are applications where you want a higher quality bearing but here they will get gunked up and squeal long before any significant wear happens.

John Lanciani
03-05-2012, 8:04 PM
How about $15.57 delivered for 10? Try here; http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/m7/1002025--6200-2rs-6200-zz-bulk-ball-bearings-10x30x9.html

No affiliation, just a very satisfied repeat customer...

Tim Boger
03-05-2012, 9:14 PM
How about $15.57 delivered for 10? Try here; http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/m7/1002025--6200-2rs-6200-zz-bulk-ball-bearings-10x30x9.html

No affiliation, just a very satisfied repeat customer...

Thanks for the link John ... terrific deal.

Appreciate it.
Tim

Brian Backner
03-06-2012, 6:53 AM
One of the best places around for bearings is Accurate Bearings outside of Chicago. I needed this really weird metric bearing set for the main arbor of a SCMI sliding table saw I'm rebuilding. These things fit onto something like a 45mm shaft and are 85mm od. In and of itself, while rather large, those are not unusual for industry, but they needed to be relatively thin at 16mm and they needed to be high precision - an ABEC 5 rating or better as the variable speed shaft can turn as high as 6,600 rpm.

Anyway, I called all the places around Boston without success. Then I called Accurate and spoke with Lynne. She looked through their catalog and .... she didn't have it either, but she offered to do an online search for me and get back to me when she found something. Yeah, right. In two days, however, she did call me back - she found high quality NSK bearings - both delivered for just under $100. That may sound expensive, and I guess it is, but these were ABEC 7 bearings, so REALLY high quality (ABEC 9's are as good as they get - I was looking at a set of four for the spindle of a Moore jig borer and was quoted $4,200!). Assuming I don't store the thing in a swimming pool, they will never need to be replaced.

Accurate Bearings:

Accuratebearing.com
Toll Free 800-323-6548 or 630-543-2100
Fax Toll Free 800-323-3116 or 630-543-2116
E-mail: sales@accuratebearing.com

I tried to attach one of their catalogs as a pdf, but it is too large. A link for it is here:

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/FAQ/BearingID.pdf

Lynne is very helpful and she and the company do not mind selling to individuals, but she will appreciate it if you know what you need before you call. Accurate sells mostly to industry, so they really don't make much money, if any, by selling two or three bearings to one of us rebuilding a jointer head or whatever. If you don't know the industry designation for the bearing(s) you're ordering, literally have the bearing in hand and take detailed measurements of it with a vernier caliper BEFORE you call her. I did that with my two bearings and she still couldn't figure out what they were initially. She had me pull one of the dust seals out, then take some photos of it to email her. She then knew what it was, but still needed two days to find them.

That's customer service, if you ask me.

Brian
Taxachusetts

David Kumm
03-06-2012, 9:48 AM
Lynn at Accurate is such a legend around the OWWM crowd they have a thread on how to order so as not to bog her down. Dave

Danny Buie
03-06-2012, 9:59 PM
Another thing about ordering bearings; you will have to order by the bearings dimensions and whether it is open or has seals or shields. The majority of bearings even for American made equipment are metric sizes. Globally bearings are metric and have been for many years. If you call and ask for bearings for a Unisaw the typical bearing supplier will have no clue what you need.

Plus one on Lynne at Accurate, she is a great resource. Just do your part before you contact her.
Danny Buie
Baton Rouge, LA

Michael Mayo
03-06-2012, 10:18 PM
I always get all of my bearings from VXB Bearings website. Great company with fast shipping and a huge selection of almost any bearing you could ever need. And you can usually upgrade the bearings you currently have to something better for short money.

http://www.vxb.com/