PDA

View Full Version : Nova Titan arrives - buyer beware

Jason Clark2
03-05-2012, 2:43 PM
My new Nova Titan arrived this morning from Amazon. It will likely be headed back.

The jaw slides supplied are the standard 2 hole variety. Not the 3 hole variety supplied with the previous version (and still advertised on the Teknatool site: http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Titan/titan_chuck.htm).

My primary reason for purchasing the chuck was to get and use the Titan Powergrip jaws. Without the 3 hole slides this doesn't seem to be a possibility. I called the U.S. service center and they're "closed for inventory". I'll try calling them again, unless this is a mistake or they're willing to make it right my new chuck will be headed back to Amazon on Wednesday.

Jason

Rick Markham
03-05-2012, 3:11 PM
Bummer... I wonder why they would change that

Gary Max
03-05-2012, 3:30 PM
I agree 100%----the powergrip jaws play a key role. The 3 hole slide gives it that extra holding power you want. Can you post a pic of this?????????

Jason Clark2
03-05-2012, 3:50 PM
The first photo is the photo on the box. You can clearly see a #2 on the end of the jaw slides with the regular Powergrip jaws installed.
Second photo is one of the included powergrip jaws aligned with the mounting holes in the 2 jaw slide included with the Titan. No #2 slide visible as the jaw slide is significantly shorter than the 3 hole version. Also note the inscription missing around the exterior.
Third photo is the bare chuck as received, with the 2 hole jaw slides.
Fourth photo is the cover of the manual, clearly showing a rendering of the chuck with the 2 jaw slides installed.

Jason

Gary Max
03-05-2012, 3:55 PM
I would send it back----that is not the Titan I bought years ago.
Here's what the screw pattern should look like----had to take the chuck off the lathe to get this pic.

Bob Bergstrom
03-05-2012, 5:37 PM
They will probably tell you "it is the new design and is stronger and better" ya and they can make it cheaper.

Mike Stephens
03-05-2012, 5:39 PM
I copied this from woodcrafts website.

Product Information:
The Nova Titan is an ideal chuck for larger lathes with up to 33"-diameter swing. It provides a high-power geared chuck option and delivers super aggressive holding power. This Solid 5"-diameter chuck has larger jaw capacity and is capable of handling much larger projects than the SuperNova2. The Titan can also take all of the accessory jaw sets in Nova Chuck accessory range; however, because of its larger size, we recommend appropriate larger accessory jaws as the perfect match.

The pic on wc site also shows jaws with only 2 holes. Its odious Teknatool has changed the og design to accommodate the jaws from there other chucks.

Jason sorry you didn't receive the product you expected.

Jason Clark2
03-05-2012, 5:48 PM
They show it with the Powergrip jaws (not the Titan Powergrip) that only use the 2 mounting holes. If you look in the photo you can see the end of the #2 jaw slide sticking out below the edge of the jaws, this indicates that the jaw slides are the longer 3 hole version, not the 2 hole version that was supplied with mine. It's probably an old photo though as it also shows the name engraved around the face, that is also missing on the version I received.

Mike Stephens
03-05-2012, 5:58 PM
I thought that the og titian chuck was the only chuck in the teknatoll line that used its own jaws. IE the jaws from there smaller chucks wouldn't fit it.

Jason Clark2
03-05-2012, 6:07 PM
It would accept all of the other jaws in the Nova line. The Titan Powergrip jaws would only fit the Titan, they wouldn't fit any of the other smaller chucks.

Jason

Gary Max
03-05-2012, 6:42 PM
Like Jason said----- you could use the Power Grip jaws plus all the others---- the reason I bought mine was for holding the big stuff . Without the third set of holes all you have is a bigger SN-2.

Rick Markham
03-05-2012, 8:56 PM
Yeah, what a deal killer. I guess I will be shopping on Fleabay for a used original. I'd be tempted to try it if it could use the powergrip jaws, but I'd prefer the original design. I never understand when a company "fixes" something that isn't broken. Makes no sense.

Alan Trout
03-05-2012, 9:04 PM
The reason you go with a larger chuck is the larger scroll and gears. This is where the advantage is and a big part of the holding power. It is not with the number of screws. The shear strength of those two screws is rated in the many thousands of pounds and you could not shear those on a chunk of wood. The tang on the jaws hold most of the force not the screws anyway. The stronghold, the Vicmarc VM120 and the monster VM150 all only have two screws of similar size to the nova screws. The screws are not the issue. The standard Power Grip jaws will swing 30" or more. They also 5" jaws as well. I see a direct threaded body as an advantage as well. They may even come out with larger jaws at some time, however I don't see much of a need for a jaw any larger then the power grips anyway.

I hope you find what you are looking for. If you truly want a monster chuck the Vicmarc VM150 is about as serious a chuck as you will find.

Good Luck

Alan

Mike Peace
03-05-2012, 9:44 PM
Thanks Alan for your analysis.

Jason, other than the disappointment on there only being two screw holes per slide, what are your thoughts on the chuck? Any quality issues you are aware of?

Mine is on back order so I could still cancel with no problem. I guess I don't feel as strongly about the two holes vs 3. I was looking for a chuck at least as big as the Oneway Stronghold at a good price which I think this one is. If I sell the Power Grip jaws I have on hand I use on my SN2 it looks like a better deal to me than buying another SN2.

Rick Markham
03-05-2012, 9:55 PM
Thanks Alan!

I guess my ultimate question is will the current powergrip jaws fit on it?

Alan Trout
03-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Rick

The pattern looks like the standard Nova pattern so I assume that the standard power grips will work. I have 4 Nova Chucks and a Stronghold. I like them all and use them all. If I was looking for another large chuck It would not bother me in the least to own the Titan, unless there were some other issues other than the 2 screw holes.

Alan

Jason Clark2
03-05-2012, 11:41 PM
It comes supplied with the standard Powergrip jaws (not the Titan Powergrip - I'd wish they'd call them something different so we don't have to keep making that distinction). I haven't mounted them but if they're supplied with it they must be compatible.

I'm not actually going to use it until I know what's going on. I'm a Nova guy as I currently own 4 SN2s and a G3; visually the quality appears to be on par with all of my other Nova chucks. It's a little odd not needing a spindle adapter, I'm used to seeing the adapter on the back side.

My primary complaint is that I expected 3 hole jaw slides so it would be compatible with the Titan Powergrip jaws. That's what they still list on the website and that's what is still visible in the photos. That's not what I received.

Jason

Rich Greinert
03-06-2012, 12:34 AM
This is a Titan I purchased this past Saturday at the local Woodcraft Store during their Mar 2-3 sale.
I have not used it yet as they were out of Nova chuck adapters and had to order one for me. Perhaps this is an older model that has just been sitting around for years, but it looks quite different than the photos of the one from Amazon.
226359 226360 226361

Jason Clark2
03-06-2012, 12:57 AM
I agree, that's an old one that's still new. The new one doesn't have the words engraved on the face, mine was supplied with 2 hole jaw slides, the new one doesn't need a threaded insert for my lathe (1 1/4" X 8). The box, manual, and chuck key handle are also different.

Jason

Jason Clark2
03-06-2012, 1:02 PM
Teknatool U.S. support confirms that the 2 hole slides are now standard and that the 3 jaw slides are no longer available. My chuck will be headed back to Amazon unused.

Jason

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2012, 1:06 PM
Thanks for the update... I am taking the Titan off my list.

Ryan Baker
03-06-2012, 7:17 PM
That's a really stupid move on Teknatool's part. And all the more reason to buy a Stronghold instead.

Andrew Kertesz
03-06-2012, 8:05 PM
I know for a fact the service center in Florida only has 2 full time and 1 part time employee. A local WC employee was on vacation in the area and got a tour of the place. He said it was smaller than the WC store in Toledo. Getting a hold of somebody is a real PITA. Been there done that, leave a message and try and be home when you tell them to call you back.

Ralph Lindberg
03-06-2012, 8:08 PM
I know for a fact the service center in Florida only has 2 full time and 1 part time employee. A local WC employee was on vacation in the area and got a tour of the place. He said it was smaller than the WC store in Toledo. Getting a hold of somebody is a real PITA. Been there done that, leave a message and try and be home when you tell them to call you back.

Which is actually a step-up from the number at the old support, where there was one full time and one "as needed"

Mike Peace
03-15-2012, 1:21 PM
Ok, I received my Titan from Amazon and am a happy camper. They dropped the price to $185.93 w/ free shipping so that is what it cost me with the Powergrip jaws and a woodworm screw. It uses the same chuck key as my SN2 which is a plus. My G3 uses a different key so who wants a chuck with a third key to keep up with (if I bought a VM or Stronghold.) My guess is there just was not enough demand for the larger Titan Power Grip accessory jaws so they dropped them. The bad news for anyone ordering now is they raised the price to $207.12. I am happy with the fit and finish. It scrolls smoothly and it does not protrude as far out as my SN2 which has an insert whereas the Titan is direct threaded. The specs say it will hold a 29" X3" platter of a 16" X 6" bowl or a 8" diameter X 12" in compression mode. These are all bigger pieces than I ever expect to turn so it meets my needs for a chuck larger than a SN2 at a great price.

I would also have preferred the three hole slides and the option to buy the discontinued larger 3 hole Titan Powergrip jaws. But doubt that I ever would have bought these supersize jaws. But for folks wanting a bigger chuck, note this is still a bargain compared to the available alternatives. To get the same capacity in a Oneway Stronghold (4 1/2" diameter chuck vs. 5" Titan) would require buying the #3 jaws. Total cost to buy a Stronghold without #2 jaws and order the #3 jaws is going to cost you a $100 more than the Titan with standard Powergrip jaws. The Vicmark150? Whew almost $400 without jaws. Not trying to start a food fight, just saying...

Mitch McGee
03-15-2012, 4:07 PM
I received the new Titan yesterday. I like it simply because it doesn't require an insert. My 130 mm jaws fit and are runni g true. I think the 130 mm jaws should have been included. Not the power grips.

It came with a longer wood worm screw that matches the power grip jaw depth. I will not use either.

Cheers,

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2012, 8:57 PM
Thanks for the info Jason. Good to know and help with a decision.

Rich Aldrich
03-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Actually, if there is a key and keyway, this takes the shear. Screws, bolts (traditional threaded fasteners) are terrible in shear (forces across the fastner) because of the tread being a stress riser or stress concentration where stress values go through the roof and where screws tend to break off. Screws, bolts and other fasteners are made for tension - forces pulling straight out. If I remember (I am not in a position to look at my SN2), there is a male piece on the jaws like a key and a mating recess in the slide that match and are what take the shear. I wouldnt be too concerned about the lack of one screw. To be sure you have what they intended to supply though, you should talk to them.

I hate to say it but I am a mechanical engineer and this makes sense to me. They did save on manufacturing, but it doesnt mean it is better. However if you dont like it, dont keep it, especially based on what I say. Now that is a typical statement by an engineer.